corner corner Sight Unseen

Sight Unseen
by Robert Goddard | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by jubby of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 11/9/2006

status (set by livrecache): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, November 09, 2006

Back cover reads:

IT is a hot summer's day in the tourist village of Avebury. A man sits outside the Red Lion pub, waiting. He sees a woman with three young children , two of them running ahead while their sister dawdles behind. A child's voice catches on the breeze.

For want of anything more interesting to do, the man watches. He sees nothing sinister or threatening. Even when another figure enters his field of vision, he does not react. The figure is ordinary - male, short-haired, stockily built. But he is moving fast, at a loping runn.

And then it happens. In one swift movement, the running man grabs the youngest child and carries her away. Still the man outside the pub does not react. Sudnnely, a white transit van bursts into view, its engine racing, its rear door slamming shut. THe child and her abductor are inside. The child's sister rushes forward. The man outside the pub jumps up...

The tragedy begins at Avebury. But it does not end there.

I've not read any of Robert Goddard's books, but I have been assured that they are very good.
In another life time, when I don't have so many other books to read and other things to do, I will attepmt his works.

I've purchased and registered this book for the Secret-Santa RABCK.

Journal Entry 2 by jubby at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 09, 2006

Released 10 yrs ago (11/9/2006 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Posting off to Alinci-g. Merry Xmas.

Journal Entry 3 by alinci-g from Burwood East, Victoria Australia on Monday, November 13, 2006

This arrived yesterday from Secret Santa! Thanks. I have not read any of Robert Goddard but it sounds just like thge sort of book I enjoy. I will put it aside until the Christmas holidays when I will have the double enjoyment of both reading it and discovering a new author. Thanks again.

Journal Entry 4 by alinci-g from Burwood East, Victoria Australia on Thursday, December 28, 2006

I really enjoyed this Chrsitmas read from Secret Santa. I was hooked right from the first page. And I would NEVER have guessed the ending in a million years. Thank you so much Secret Santa

Journal Entry 5 by alinci-g from Burwood East, Victoria Australia on Friday, December 29, 2006

This is now a book ring.

BellaMack
Bookworm-BNE
freelunch
amberC
Frangipani08
and back to me alinci-g

Journal Entry 6 by alinci-g from Burwood East, Victoria Australia on Saturday, December 30, 2006

I have put this in the mail to BellaMack today - New Year's Eve.

Journal Entry 7 by BellaMack from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Monday, January 15, 2007

I felt the book was a bit disjointed in the beginning but all at once it became totally unputdownable and I read it in one day. Have not read any Robert Goddard before but I am definitely taking a note of his books to follow up on. Great story and I also would never have guessed the ending. Thank you so much alinci-g for sharing your Secret Santa book :) Sending on to bookworm-BNE when I have an address.

Posted off today 24 /1/07

Journal Entry 8 by bookworm-BNE from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Picked up from Post Office today. No other bookrings in the house right now (!) so I should get to it soon. Probably two readers in this house so may be an extra week or so if that's ok.

Journal Entry 9 by bookworm-BNE from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Monday, February 12, 2007

Very interesting! It took me a while to get into it. So disjointed and slow in the beginneing, but certainly a tangled tale in the end! Thanks for sharing, I'll send it on soon.

Journal Entry 10 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Thursday, February 15, 2007

received today, thanks bookworm-BNE and alinci-g :o)

Journal Entry 11 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Friday, March 02, 2007

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, which I finished just a few minutes ago. I've never really ventured into the Mystery/Thriller genre but I'm glad I have now and I'll be checking out more of Robert Goddard's work in the near future.

I'll send this book on to amberC along with another bookring book next week.

Journal Entry 12 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Thursday, March 15, 2007

Arrived today, travelling with another bookring. I ahve a few other bookrings before it.

Journal Entry 13 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Saturday, April 07, 2007

I too finished this book in one day, lucky I picked it up on a day when I had a bit of reading time.

I enjoyed the intrigue, twists and turns and the way the story slowly came together. The ending was unexpected, which is always good.

Tjis is the first Robert Goddard book I have read and I will be looking out for more.

Posting to Frangipani08 on Tuesday.

Journal Entry 14 by frangipani08 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, April 17, 2007

It never rains but it pours - this is the third ring to arrive this week! Will read it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 15 by frangipani08 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Saturday, April 28, 2007

I also found the book difficult to get into at first but then it fell into place. Read most of it today and enjoyed it thoroughly. Sad that Chantelle didn't get to meet either of her parents. Thanks alinci-g for sharing. Please pm me your address and I'll send it home!
As alinci-g does not want the book sent home, I have someone in mind to share it with.

Journal Entry 16 by frangipani08 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Sending to livrecache who was the decoy winner in the May Happy Smile Day draw!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Journal Entry 17 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Monday, June 18, 2007

I didn't know I was the decoy winner! The journal entries make me realise I'll need to persevere -- I've been very quick to put down something that hasn't grabbed me within the first few pages.

Thanks so much, frangipani08! (I'm not sure quite when this book arrived -- sometime last week when I was in lotus land (i.e. Bali) so I'm sorry about my tardiness in acknowledging it.)

Journal Entry 18 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, December 30, 2007

I finally got around to reading this -- after another book crosser spotted that I had it and requested it, and I was reminded that I meant to read it.

It's the first Robert Goddard I've read, and it's a genre that I've generally discarded, although I used to read heaps of it. I wasn't gripped in the beginning, but like others I became more engrossed as the tale unfolded. However, I must admit that I was waiting for a particular character to appear. She did, and pretty much where I expected her to. (But I was once an avid reader of this genre, remember.) After that, I was still engaged enough to want the denouement. I particularly liked the historical angle that the book was predicated on (although in the end I found it unbelievable). It was a good holiday read -- BUT

SPOILERS FROM THIS POINT ON

I found the suicide of the brother totally implausible. There were a number of initiatives left to him.
I actually found the death of the sister in the beginning quite hard to believe too.
Being a bear of little brain, I kept forgetting who people were. I suspect it's a book you have to read at one sitting, and I read it over the course of a few very distracted days, so that's my problem rather than the author's, and I'm not beating myself up over it, or damning the book for it. Actually, now that I think about it, there weren't that many characters involved. It's just a measure of my level of distraction.
There were way too many coincidences, but . . .

it would be an ideal book for a short long-haul flight, and I can visualise it as a movie. I imagine someone has the rights. I'd drop the Prague opening though -- although I imagine the author wrote that with the film in mind. It's totally superfluous for either a book or movie.

Journal Entry 19 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Friday, January 04, 2008

Reserved for the Oz VBB Round 6.

Journal Entry 20 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Monday, January 21, 2008

Selected by HeatherA, and miraculously found in the first BC box I opened since our house moving.
I'll send it off in the next day or so.

Journal Entry 21 by livrecache at OZ VBB in Melbourne, OZ VBB -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (1/23/2008 UTC) at OZ VBB in Melbourne, OZ VBB -- Controlled Releases

Claimed from the Oz VBB Round 6