corner corner On Writing

On Writing
by Stephen King | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingKateKintailwing of Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, November 03, 2006

status (set by bartonz): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, November 03, 2006

This might just be one of my favorite books ever. I bought this at a library book sale. I absolutely *adore* Stephen King and was fascinated to find out what he thought about writing, as well as what he might have to share with hopeful writers.

I was NOT disappointed in the least! I made notes with page numbers on my bookmark while I read, and copied down several pages of quotes. I found this book incredibly entertaining as well as useful, inspiring, and encouraging.

The book contains (among other things):
+King's background- how he was "formed" as a writer (and where a lot of his story ideas came from)
+What writing is
+A writer's toolbox
+How to write- one word at a time
+Why this book almost wasn't written
+A booklist

Some of my favorite quotes include:
Pg 25- “Let’s get one thing clear right now, shall we? There is no Idea Dump, no Story Central, no Island of the Buried Bestsellers; good story ideas seem to come quite literally from nowhere, sailing at you right out of the empty sky: two previously unrelated ideas come together and make something new under the sun. Your job isn’t to find these ideas but to recognize them when they show up.”
Pg 99- “Let me say it again: you must not come lightly to the blank page.”
Pg 139-140- “Every book you pick up has its own lesson or lessons, and quite often the bad books have more to teach than the good ones.”
and
Pg 275- “Writing is magic, as much as the water of life as any other creative art. The water is free. So drink. Drink and be filled up.”

Journal Entry 2 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, November 03, 2006

I'm having a very difficult time parting with this book. I really enjoyed it and plan to re-read it many more times in my lifetime. But I also think it's brilliant and should be shared.

So I'm adding this to my Writing Bookbox. And I'm going to buy another copy for myself :-)

He's got amazing advice and stories. But I think being familiar with many of Stephen King's works would make this book more entertaining. He's one of my favorite writers, which is probably why I loved it so much. I really hope someone else enjoys this!

Journal Entry 3 by wingbartonzwing from Bellevue, Washington USA on Monday, November 13, 2006

Got it from the writing book box