corner corner I Capture the Castle

I Capture the Castle
by Dodie Smith | Literature & Fiction
Registered by yourotherleft of Danville, Pennsylvania USA on 11/2/2006

status (set by glade1): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by yourotherleft from Danville, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, November 02, 2006

Seventeen-year-old Cassandra Mortmain wants to become a writer. Trouble is, she's the daughter of a once-famous author with a severe case of writer's block. Her family--beautiful sister Rose, brooding father James, ethereal stepmother Topaz--is barely scraping by in a crumbling English castle they leased when times were good. Now there's very little furniture, hardly any food, and just a few pages of notebook paper left to write on. Bravely making the best of things, Cassandra gets hold of a journal and begins her literary apprenticeship by refusing to face the facts. She writes, "I have just remarked to Rose that our situation is really rather romantic, two girls in this strange and lonely house. She replied that she saw nothing romantic about being shut up in a crumbling ruin surrounded by a sea of mud."

Rose longs for suitors and new tea dresses while Cassandra scorns romance: "I know all about the facts of life. And I don't think much of them." But romantic isolation comes to an end both for the family and for Cassandra's heart when the wealthy, adventurous Cotton family takes over the nearby estate. Cassandra is a witty, pensive, observant heroine, just the right voice for chronicling the perilous cusp of adulthood. Some people have compared I Capture the Castle to the novels of Jane Austen, and it's just as well-plotted and witty. But the Mortmains are more bohemian--as much like the Addams Family as like any of Austen's characters. Dodie Smith, author of 101 Dalmations, wrote this novel in 1948. And though the story is set in the 1930s, it still feels fresh, and well deserves its reputation as a modern classic.

Journal Entry 2 by yourotherleft at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (2/20/2007 UTC) at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Sent to brewski who accepted it in a relay. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Nr. 1 latest

Thanks yourotherleft, I am looking forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 4 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Thursday, May 17, 2007

This was quite an enjoyable read, although I felt a bit voyeuristic as the feeling of peeking in Cassandra's private journals was quite strong. The writing really evoked the feeling of listening to a precocious young lady and was extrememly vivid.

Journal Entry 5 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Reserved for indygo88 for the Good Fairy relay.

Journal Entry 6 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 12, 2007

Dropping in the mail tomorrow for indygo88 for the Good Fairy relay.

Journal Entry 7 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Monday, August 20, 2007

Arrived in my mailbox today! Thanks for another one, brewski! :')

Journal Entry 8 by indygo88 at Lafayette, Indiana USA on Tuesday, December 17, 2013

I think of the word "charming" when I think of this book. Though written in the 1940's and set in the 1930's, it has a timeless quality. 17-year-old Cassandra, growing up in a crumbling-down English castle with her stepmother, father & older sister Rose, lacks a lot of life experience but starts to grow up fairly suddenly when the wealthy Cotton brothers move in next door. Though much of the novel centers on attempted matchmaking between Rose and one of the brothers, it's all viewed through Cassandra's viewpoint in her journal entries. Cassandra reminded me a lot of Flavia de Luce in Alan Bradley's series, with a lot of witty humor and precociousness. I found myself giggling a lot during my reading, and though I thought I perhaps knew how the ending would turn out, I turned out to be mistaken.

Journal Entry 9 by indygo88 at Lafayette, Indiana USA on Friday, December 20, 2013

Sent off today to glade1 as a RABCK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by glade1 at Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Friday, January 03, 2014

Received in the mail on Dec. 31. Thank you, indygo88, for the kind RABCK. As I mentioned, I will keep this book as a PC for now. I read it earlier this year and was completely enchanted! I hope to read it again and/or share it with my kids, so I'll hold on to it. Thanks again!

(See my review in the JE here: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/11259264; looks like you and I had similar thoughts...)