corner corner The Julius House: An Aurora Teagarden Mystery (#4)

The Julius House: An Aurora Teagarden Mystery (#4)
by Charlaine Harris | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by CheriePie of Campbell, California USA on 11/1/2006

status (set by Morgaine77): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Purchased The Julius House and Dead Over Heels from eBay seller cosmocollects for $7.51 and $13.22 respectively, plus $3.50 shipping. I originally bought them for Joanne (NeedSun), but she's insisted I read them first. :)

Book Description
As long as you both shall live...

Aurora "Roe" Teagarden is busy planning her wedding to Martin Bartell, a successful businessman with a past he hasn't completely shared. His gift to her is a storybook house shrouded in mystery: it's owners, the Julius family, disappeared six years earlier.

Roe begins decorating and digging into the puzzle of the Julius house. But when Martin installs a couple in the garage apartment, she gets the feeling they're more than just tenants....

As Aurora discovers the truth about the Julius family, she realizes their fate may well be her own.

Journal Entry 2 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Sunday, December 09, 2007

Aurora "Roe" Teagarden has received a most unusual but welcome wedding present from her fiancé, Martin Bartell. He has given her "the Julius House", a local house that's been shrouded in mystery for the last 6 years since it's previous occupants went missing. Roe has always been drawn to the house, as well as the circumstances surrounding the unexpected and sudden disappearance of its previous inhabitants. But when she starts sleuthing, can she handle the things she discovers?

It took me a little while to reacquaint myself with a few of the characters in this series. I didn't really recall Martin all that well, though I did remember her previous two boyfriends, Arthur the cop and Aubrey the minister. So either Martin came into the picture late in book 3, and I haven't yet read enough about him, or else he simply didn't make much of an impression on me. Nevertheless, that was the only character I didn't remember. And I quickly warmed to the familiarity of Roe and her family and friends from the small town of Lawrenceton, GA.

This book and the next, Dead Over Heels were fairly difficult to find so I purchased them from eBay for a fair price and plan to give them to NeedSun. I'd actually planned to do that after I bought them last year, but she insisted I read the series first since I had been acquiring the majority of the early books for her. And I'm certainly glad I did. These are cute little cozies, not as dark as the Shakespeare series, but Charlaine's terrific writing style comes through just as easily in these earlier books, making them a joy to read. :-)

This is now reserved to go to NeedSun, along with book 5 when I read it, and a few other things waiting here for her.

Journal Entry 3 by CheriePie at RABCK in USPS Priority International, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, December 21, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (12/20/2007 UTC) at RABCK in USPS Priority International, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Mailed 20-Dec-2007 via USPS Priority Mail International in Fixed Rate envelope.

Sent books 4 and 5 of the Aurora Teagarden series, along with two unregistered RABCKs from SandDanz (The Wolf King by Alice Borchardt and Just Desserts by Mary Daheim), which she handed off to me when I met her in Columbus in July. Basically as much as I could shove in a fixed-rate Priority Mail envelope for $9. LOL

Journal Entry 4 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Monday, January 14, 2008

Thanks, Cherie, for sending these to me. I am really looking forward to reading more about Roe.

Journal Entry 5 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Monday, October 13, 2008

This one didn't have much of a mystery but was a really good story. Now it is ready to start travelling with book three in the series.

Journal Entry 6 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Monday, October 13, 2008

Here are all the books in this series that are going to be sent out in a book spiral.

1. Real Murders
2. A Bone to Pick
3. Three Bedrooms, One Corpse
4. The Julius House
5. Dead Over Heels
6. A Fool and His Honey
7. Last Scene Alive
8. Poppy Done to Death

Here are the participants and mailing order:

Wyvernfriend--->Ireland/Europe
sunlightbub--->UK/Int

Rianonne--->Austria/Europe
Not 1.Real Murders or 2.Bone to Pick)

CandyDarling--->Finland/int
cathepsut--->Germany/int
Morgaine77--->Germany/int

Books 3 and 4 split up here

shaunesay-->USA/US,Can
(Not 3.Three Bedrooms; 7.Last Scene Alive)

Return to Cheriepie

lizziwhizz-->USA/USA
(Only needs #6 A fool and his Honey)

MaplesFlowers-->USA/USA
(Only needs #5 Dead Over Heels)

Journal Entry 7 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Finally, sent by air today to Wyvernfriend--->Ireland/Europe

Journal Entry 8 by wyvernfriend from Lucan, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Slight spoilers ahead for some of the previous books but nothing you wouldn't see on the back cover of the edition I've read.

Aurora is busy planning her wedding to Martin Bartell, still trying to find out what the secrets he's keeping are. She finds the perfect gift for their wedding for Martin and he buys her the Julius House. Six years ago (and a few months) the whole family disappeared one day and Roe is curious, so she begins digging into the story.

Martin installs a couple, who also have secrets into the garage apartment.

Roe needs something to do and being a housewife is never going to satisfy her. She likes mysteries so they're always going to attract her. I can see her continue in this vein for a long time!

Not a bad read, but the mystery was about a third of the book while the wedding and Martin's past were most of the rest. Interesting but only as part of the series.

Finally got around to this and around to messaging Sunlightbub

Journal Entry 9 by Sunnybubble from Wallasey, Merseyside United Kingdom on Monday, December 29, 2008

Yay!! Love this series!

Journal Entry 10 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thank you, I'm looking forward to reading more Aurora Teagarden!

Journal Entry 11 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Julius House was pretty different from the previous three books in the series - nobody was murdered, and the first half of the book dealt with Roe's marriage to Martin. This was a good book, but it looks like this series really needs to be read in order. It felt almost like I was reading two different books, the two halves of the novel were so different. Still, very enjoyable like always, and I'm looking forward to reading Dead Over Heels

Journal Entry 12 by cathepsut from Metzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, May 25, 2009

Thank you! I will get to it as soon as I finish #3...

Journal Entry 13 by cathepsut at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, May 30, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (6/2/2009 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

It seems I lost interest in this series, so I'm sending it on without reading it. It's packed up and I will post it next week.

Journal Entry 14 by Morgaine77 from Münchenstein, Baselland Switzerland on Sunday, July 19, 2009

I apologize for not journaling earlier. The book arrived safely with me.

Journal Entry 15 by Morgaine77 from Münchenstein, Baselland Switzerland on Friday, October 02, 2009

I did enjoy this book, but was a bit disappointed that the mystery only took a backseat, so to say. The ending seemed a bit rushed to me.
Nevertheless, a relaxing read.