corner corner Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
by Steven D. Levitt, Stephen J. Dubner | History
Registered by BookGroupMan of Woodbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, October 29, 2006

status (set by Julia Dream): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Woodbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, October 29, 2006

Picked up from the library on hols (Island Star cruise ship!)

(27/10) This is a very clever book that had me gripped for a couple of days on the cruise – it’s not nearly as dry as a non-fiction book on ‘economics’ should be. The clever twist is the way in which rogue economist Levitt views the modern world. For him no spreadsheets, obsession with facts, money & maths (math!), but a no-holds-barred questioning about why things are the way they are. Ferinstance;

Q. Does parenting matter? (yes, but not so much how you do it, more about what/who you are)

Q. If drug dealers are all millionaires why do they live with their mothers? (the lower echelon ‘foot soldiers’ are no better paid than a McJob, and by the way the job is more dangerous than the most dangerous legal occupation)

Q. Do white collar workers, teachers & sumo wrestlers cheat? (yes, yes, and yes!)

And many many more examples...written as linked articles or mini-theses

Of course there is clever stuff in the background to enable the analysis of various sources of quantifiable data and more informal sources of information in order to prove/disprove a hypothesis. But, with the help of journalist Dubner it makes for a fascinating book.

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at By post in Sent to another BookCrosser, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 20, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (11/20/2006 UTC) at By post in Sent to another BookCrosser, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

On its way belated to a fellow bookcrosser wot asked for it :) Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by LadyIndigo01 from Fordingbridge, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Many thanks for this book which I received in the post today. I look forward to reading it and will return to post my comments here before passing it on.

Journal Entry 4 by LadyIndigo01 from Fordingbridge, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 07, 2009

sorry I have held on to this book for so long!
Interesting book - as I am currently studying psychology with the OU, I particularly liked the chapters on perfect parenting. Thanks for sharing. I hope to help this book find its next reader by leaving it in a geocache somewhere.

Journal Entry 5 by LadyIndigo01 at GCMTAV - The Mill Walk Geocache, Alderholt, Dorset in GCMTAV - The Mill Walk - Alderholt, Dorset, -- Geocaches -- United Kingdom on Saturday, June 13, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (6/13/2009 UTC) at GCMTAV - The Mill Walk Geocache, Alderholt, Dorset in GCMTAV - The Mill Walk - Alderholt, Dorset, -- Geocaches -- United Kingdom

left together with another book in a local geocache (www.geocaching.com)

Hi! And welcome to BookCrossing!

If you found this book and are not familiar with BookCrossing, thanks for checking the site out. Welcome! Enjoy both the book and the site.

People all over the world are tracking their books through BookCrossing.

I really hope you'll journal this book! You can stay anonymous. You can journal the book right now! You don’t have to read it first. Ideally, you will post a journal now saying that you’ve found this particular book, then read (and hopefully enjoy) the book. When you’re done reading, come back here and let us know when and where you will pass the book on to another reader. Give a review if you’d like. If you journal it, you can come back anytime to track its journey.

If you decide to join – and it’s FREE - please consider using me, LadyIndigo01, as the member who referred you. If you are already familiar with BookCrossing, thanks for picking up the book.

Either way, I hope you'll make a journal entry so all previous and future readers can track this book's journey. Happy reading and Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 6 by grannyvalsie from Fordingbridge, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 09, 2009

Found in a geocache - took this book and left another. I look forward to reading it - it looks unusual and interesting. Thanks again LadyIndigo!

Journal Entry 7 by grannyvalsie from Fordingbridge, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 25, 2009

Fascinating book - didn't know if I'd like it, but it read as a series of articles. The theories in the book make interesting reading - it would be good to read the UK version of some of them e.g. what to name your child for most success!
I thought the link between abortion and crime statistics was very interesting - though may be just an alternative view which needs more substantiating.

Journal Entry 8 by grannyvalsie at GC11B3N Turf Hill in New Forest, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/9/2010 UTC) at GC11B3N Turf Hill in New Forest, Hampshire United Kingdom

Swapped for a book in this geocache

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Bramshaw, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Journal Entry 10 by Julia Dream at Bramshaw, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I own a geocache in the New Forest that has been used by bookcrossing.com members. Thought I ought to join as I support the principles and expect to "liberate" a few books from my wife's side of the bed.
Will pass this book on when read, and when I have solved how to find the swap shops.