corner corner Where or When : A Novel

Where or When : A Novel
by Anita Shreve | Literature & Fiction
Registered by arugh48187 of Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Sunday, October 22, 2006

status (set by Teddyke): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by arugh48187 from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Sunday, October 22, 2006

One of the few Shreve's I have not read. Bought this duplicate copy for trade or release.

From the Publisher
Charles Callahan is reading the Sunday paper when an alluring and oddly familiar photo catches his eye: it is Sian Richards, his first love, a face he has not seen for more than three decades. He is entranced by her image, flooded by memories of their teenage summer together, and utterly conpelled to make contact with her again. Charles sends Sian a letter, knowing all the while that "from the very first sentence of the very first note there was nothing innocent about it." Sian writes back - she is now a poet living with her husband and small child on an onion farm in Pennsylvania. She is intrigued that Charles has sought her out after so many years but wary of where their correspondence might lead. For Charles, troubled by financial woes, on the verge of losing his home, and concerned about the security of his family, the letters become a secret obsession and another source of instability in his already complicated life. Despite their reservations, the power of Charles and Sian's attraction leads them to meet again . . . and again. As Charles understands it, "for the two of them, eros is linked with time. It is the very urgency of time he dreads, the sense that their minutes together are short and numbered, that he must say what he has come to say before she leaves, that gestures and words cannot be wasted." Anita Shreve takes the classic theme of Romeo and Juliet and gives it an unusual twist: two lovers struggle against formidable odds, reaching across a lifetime to reclaim what they once lost. In doing so, they set in motion a tumultuous series of events that moves inexorably to a shocking conclusion.

Journal Entry 2 by arugh48187 at Post Office at 153rd and Garrett in Apple Valley, Minnesota -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, December 16, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (12/16/2006 UTC) at Post Office at 153rd and Garrett in Apple Valley, Minnesota -- Controlled Releases

Mailing out to Joanazinha as the Happy Holidays RABCK for 10 December 2006. Happy Reading!!!

Journal Entry 3 by wingJoanazinhawing from Amersfoort, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, January 29, 2007

This book arrived today. Thank you so very much! Anita Shreve is a new writer to me (I have one other book of her at mount TBR - A Pilot's Wife in Dutch translation). I heard a lot of good things about her books, so that made me very curious and now I have 2 of them!!
Thanks again for sending it to me!

Journal Entry 4 by wingJoanazinhawing at Amersfoort, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, September 23, 2010

Beautiful book, well written. But in the end you have to ask yourself the question: what happened? Why did it have to end this way?
This is not my favorite book by Anita Shreve, but nevertheless it was a good read. Thanks again arugh48187 for sending it to me. It took me some time to get to it, but now it will be travelling again!

Journal Entry 5 by wingJoanazinhawing at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, September 25, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (9/25/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

The book is on its way to hippolein, who chose it from my challenge to reduce my TBR. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by Teddyke at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, October 04, 2010

The book arrived safely in Finland today, luckily as the wrapping had been all opened on one side. Thank you so much for sending the book all the way here, I'm really looking forward to reading the book!