corner corner The Diving-bell and the Butterfly

The Diving-bell and the Butterfly
by Jean-Dominique Bauby | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by suedo of Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Friday, November 17, 2006

status (set by jillbe): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Friday, November 17, 2006

Pre-numbered label used for registration.
This book came from the kind lady in Darlington in November. If this is your introduction to Bookcrossing, welcome. Please make as few or as many comments about the book as you wish. The book is now yours to do with as you choose. Keep it, pass it on, but please leave the label, so it can keep in touch with us.
going on mount TBR, as I've heard so much about this book.

Journal Entry 2 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Friday, December 29, 2006

will pass on to BabyFlylady once I read it

Journal Entry 3 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, March 01, 2007

This was a special book, and I'm glad I read it. Haivng faced much less severe mobility restrictions for a relatively short period of time, some of this rang very true, and most of it made me very grateful for all those simple things we take for granted.
Will send on in the post very soon, enjoy

Journal Entry 4 by BabyFlylady from Driffield, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A surprise RACBK which arrived last week (which also isn't journalled yet but will be so don't think I have forgotem!) prompted me to remember that I hadn't journalled this one. Thank you so much Suedo. I haven't finished it yet as I only started it last night while doing the housework!! But it really is a special book! Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 5 by BabyFlylady from Driffield, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Jean-Dominique Bauby
(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Jean-Dominique Bauby (April, 1952 - March 11, 1997) was a French journalist and author and editor of the magazine ELLE.

At the age of forty-three, on December 8, 1995, Bauby, a well-known Parisian, suffered a massive stroke which rendered his brain stem inactive. When he woke up twenty days later, he found he was mute and almost entirely paralysed; he could only move his head a little, grunt, and blink his left eyelid. This rare condition is called locked-in syndrome.

Despite his condition, he authored the book The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by blinking when the correct letter was reached by a person slowly reciting the alphabet over and over again. Bauby had to compose and edit the book entirely in his head, and convey it one letter at a time. He had his interlocuter read from a special alphabet which consisted of the letters reordered in accordance with their frequency in the French language. This made dictation more efficient. The book was published in France on March 6, 1997. Bauby died three days after. The cause of death remains unpublished.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Dominique_Bauby"

This book will make you take stock and remember to appreciate life.

Journal Entry 6 by BabyFlylady at Post Office - Controlled Release in Bridlington, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (4/11/2007 UTC) at Post Office - Controlled Release in Bridlington, East Yorkshire United Kingdom

Sending out as a Surprise RABCK today. Hope the recipient enjoys it too.

Journal Entry 7 by wingjillbewing from Dorchester, Dorset United Kingdom on Thursday, April 19, 2007

Received in the post today. Thanks very much Babyflylady, it's a great feeling receiving surprise RABCK's, really looking forward to reading this one. As it is quite a thin volume I think I will take it with me when I go away this weekend, taking my son back to college in Wales!

Journal Entry 8 by wingjillbewing at Dorset County Hospital in Dorchester, Dorset United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (9/13/2012 UTC) at Dorset County Hospital in Dorchester, Dorset United Kingdom

To be found in Damers Restaurant, enjoy!

Welcome to bookcrossing and thank you for picking up this book.
Please make a Journal Entry to let me know that it has found a good home with
you.....then read and release for someone else to find!!