corner corner American Gods

American Gods
by Neil Gaiman | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by Shimmy-crazy of Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, October 12, 2006

status (set by criminologeek): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, October 12, 2006

This one is to continue a bookray as the original was unfortunatly lost. As it's such a great book and got lost so early on I wanted to replace it so everyone got to read it.

Here's the link to the original

and here's the rest of the list:
Stubee (UK)
keithneese (US)
criminologeek (Malaysia)
jubby (Australia)

Posted to Stubee 12th October

Journal Entry 2 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Friday, October 13, 2006

Arrived today, thanks Shimmy Crazy for restarting this. I can hardly wait to read it!

Journal Entry 3 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 22, 2006

"Mystery, satire, sex, horror, poetic prose – American Gods uses all these to keep the reader turning the pages." --Michael Dirda, The Washington Post

And I couldn't agree more, this is an excellent piece of work, fascinating to the very end and very mysterious! This is the first time I've read anything from Gaiman and it definitely won’t be the last!

I've sent a PM to MissBagpus for an address so I'll send it off to her once I've got it.

Thanks Shimmy-Crazy for re-starting this I really enjoyed it.

EDIT: 07/12/2006 sent Today!

Journal Entry 4 by MissBagpuss from Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 08, 2006

arrived safely - it will go on the top of my tbr pile.
i've contacted the next person on the list to ask for their address so we can keep the book moving, but so far have not had a reply.

EDITED 13TH JANUARY: this book had been on my wishlist for ages so i was really looking forward to it. i'm pleased to say it was every bit as good as i was expecting it to be. gaiman has a wonderful way of taking the everyday and twisting it into something unexpected. even though the book is over 600 pages it didnt feel it. i could happily have read more of it.

the next person on the list, pete109, still hasnt responded to any PMs, so shimmy has asked me to skip him. the book is now on the way to flambard.

Journal Entry 5 by Flambard from Horsham, West Sussex United Kingdom on Sunday, January 21, 2007

It has arrived from Cleethorpes! Many thanks MissBagpuss and Shimmy-crazy!

Journal Entry 6 by Flambard from Horsham, West Sussex United Kingdom on Thursday, February 01, 2007

No arguments please. I want this made into a film and I want it now. And I want Russell Crowe as Shadow, and James Cromwell as Wednesday, and Jake Gyllenhaal as Chad Mulligan, and Madonna as Laura (because she always acts like a zombie anyway). OK?

Wonderful! So, it's not a particularly original idea, but it is done very, very well! And what lifted it that extra level for me was the Lakeside storyline. Just so good. I guessed what was happening in respect of the war when Mr World's identity was revealed, but the Lakeside aspect came as a chillingly pleasant surprise. And as for Salim and the ifrit - sublime! It could have gone on and on as far as I was concerned - more gods, more demons, more myth. I suspect I caught a whiff of crucifixion (a bit too careful there I think, Mr Gaiman - it's OK to have Ganesh, but not Jesus? That's why you score 9 and not 10!) I am now off to sacrifice a black chicken to Wayland (virgins being a bit on the scarce side in Sussex)...

Journal Entry 7 by Flambard from Horsham, West Sussex United Kingdom on Friday, February 16, 2007

No response from abrokenstarr, so have sent a PM to shnedwards. Hopefully it will be travelling again soon!

Journal Entry 8 by Flambard at mail release in Given to fellow BookCrosser, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 19, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (2/19/2007 UTC) at mail release in Given to fellow BookCrosser, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

To shnedwards

Journal Entry 9 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Received with thanks! On to the top of the tbr pile it goes!

Journal Entry 10 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Finished in record time! I would have loved this about 10 years ago and would have read it over and over. Now, it's an enjoyable, page-turning bit of hokum, so just the once will do for me. Thanks again Shimmy-Crazy for sharing.

Pming Elsita for her address.

Journal Entry 11 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 07, 2007

On its way to Elsita!

Journal Entry 12 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Thursday, March 22, 2007

It's with me! Thanks!

Journal Entry 13 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Amazing book! Love Gaiman's sense of humor.
Going to the next reader.
Thanks for sharing, Shimmy-crazy!

Journal Entry 14 by Magika on Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Arrived today, thanks! I'm in the midst of final exams and moving from one part of the country to another, so I may not be able to finish it in three weeks, but it looks really interesting, so I'll read it ASAP!

Journal Entry 15 by Magika on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I am so sorry for keeping this book so long. I was in the process of moving when I received it, and by mistake it got mixed up with the books that went into storage. It's now safely in my new home, but seeing as I don't have a lot of time for reading right now, and as I've already held on to it for far too long, I'm sending it on to Panzeranzi without reading it. Maybe I can be pushed to the end of the list instead?

12.09.07: Mailed to Panzeranzi today.

Journal Entry 16 by wingPanzeranziwing from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Saturday, September 15, 2007

The book has arrived safely! I have a couple of books to read before this, I hope it will not take too long before I can send it on. Thanks for organizing the ring, Shimmy-crazy!

Journal Entry 17 by wingPanzeranziwing from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Friday, October 12, 2007

I thought the book was ok, but not great. I'm impressed with Gaiman's knowledge in Norse Mythology! I loved Wednesday and the idea of how the gods came to America. But I have the feeling that Gaiman plays it safe - I don't know if I can explain what I mean, but I think the story is a bit to easy to predict. I had the same feeling with Stardust. But I do like his books anyway, so what the heck!

I've pm:d JamsODonnellToo and I'll send the book as soon as I get an address!

Journal Entry 18 by wingPanzeranziwing at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 18, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (10/19/2007 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Off it goes to JamsODonnellToo!

Journal Entry 19 by JamsODonnellToo from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, October 28, 2007

Found it yesterday in the mail, thanks a lot Panzeranzi! I promise this book won't be my hostage for as long as Anansi Boys was (my bookring-books queue is much shorter now).

Journal Entry 20 by JamsODonnellToo from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, January 21, 2008

hmmm, I'm not sure I managed to keep my promise... Anyway, I really enjoyed this book, Neil Gaiman is close to becoming one of my favourite authors, and I had never heard of him before I joined BC.com! Makes me want to dig into all kind of mithology :) It sure reminded me of the Harry Potter series in a few spots - the lake-crossing-on-Ibis's-boat scene above all, I have the feeling JK Rowlings has allowed herself to be aaah... inspired by Gaiman :) It's so good to know there are some really good fantasy stories for grown-ups out there!

Thanks a lot, Shimmy-crazy, for allowing me to join your rings and for being so patient! The book was mailed to Marko167 on Jan 19.

Journal Entry 21 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Friday, January 25, 2008

Arrived safe and sound. I have a couple before it on Mount TBR but hopefully will get around to this soon.

Thanks.

M.

Journal Entry 22 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A very enjoyable book.

I liked the easy reading style of the book, the story flips between different times and even different worlds and the author managed this very well and I didn't get lost trying to follow the story. I really enjoy the mythology references and the book has onceagain whetted my appetite to learn more of the world's various mythologies.

I will be keeping an eye out for more Gaiman books.

Thanks for sharing.

m.

Journal Entry 23 by marko167 at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, March 06, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (3/6/2008 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Off it flies the the land where people have really big feet apparently!

;o)

M.

Journal Entry 24 by Pitangus from Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires Province Argentina on Monday, April 28, 2008

Arrived today! I shall read it asap. :)

Journal Entry 25 by Pitangus from Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires Province Argentina on Monday, May 05, 2008

Although I loved "Neverwhere" and "Stardust", I got bored with "American Gods" and couldn´t read further than the first 150 pages. In my opinion, the matter is the way the story is narrated. I´m so sorry!

I want to thank Shimmy-Crazy for starting this b-ring as well as everyone´s effort for this book to finally reach my hands! I shan´t keep it longer, so I´m contacting the next bookcrosser right away.

Journal Entry 26 by Pitangus from Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires Province Argentina on Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Finally, the ray goes on! I´ve sent the book today to Criminologeek :) Happy travels!

Journal Entry 27 by Pitangus at Por correo/by mail in Controlled Releases, Buenos Aires Province Argentina on Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (6/11/2008 UTC) at Por correo/by mail in Controlled Releases, Buenos Aires Province Argentina

Journal Entry 28 by criminologeek on Saturday, July 05, 2008

Got the book today. Thanks for sharing, Shimmy-crazy and thanks for mailing me the book, Pitangus.
This July is a hectic month for me as I am taking some intensive college courses + work + volunteering. Hope to get the book read asap.

By the way, who should I send the book next- CaBoheme (US)or jubby (Australia), as I see that I am actually the second last person in the list.

Journal Entry 29 by criminologeek on Monday, February 09, 2009

I am sorry that I just found and realized that the book has to be sent to another BookCrosser! With all my moving in and outs throughout the summer and the new semester, I have totally forgotten about it! I would mail the book to the next reader as soon as possible!

Journal Entry 30 by criminologeek on Saturday, February 21, 2009

Fellow bookcrosser 'jubby' had joined another bookring for the book so I will keep the book for the time being. Safe and sound. Thanks for sharing. :)