corner corner QuixotiQ

QuixotiQ
by Ali Al Saeed | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by hobbit of Barnes, Wisconsin USA on 10/6/2006

status (set by LeishaCamden): available

Journal Entry 1 by hobbit from Barnes, Wisconsin USA on Friday, October 06, 2006

As two men go through a series of mysterious and bizarre events, their lives take dramatic turns that lead them to new revelations about their past, present and future. They somehow find their fates connected by some mystic, unfathomable power.

Ali Al Saeed is the first author from Bahrain to publish directly in English.

Journal Entry 2 by hobbit from Barnes, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, December 26, 2006

This is a fairly short book but it didn't move very quickly for me because I found the characters very confusing. I couldn't really understand their motivations or relate to them. They were so strange that they were almost farcical - except that they weren't funny in any way. And there were occasional hints of some possible deeper story thread coming through, perhaps some kind of alien presence or psychic connection, but it was unclear and never resolved so maybe it was meant to just be delusions?

Journal Entry 3 by hobbit from Barnes, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I offered this to the first responder and two replied quickly, so we'll form a ray. Anyone else?

Abecedarian (US)
Sheepseeker (Germany)
Piggledy (Germany)
Lunatum (Finland)
Katyan (Finland)
Charlenemartel (Canada)

Notes: Piggledy had read another book for this country before the book was ready to come to her. Charlenemartel did not respond to several messages asking for her address. So the ray ends with Katyan.

Journal Entry 4 by Abecedarian from Clearwater, Kansas USA on Thursday, January 11, 2007

I didn't like this book at all. I couldn't get into all the dream sequences and it just didn't make any sense to me. I'll pass this on to Sheepseeker once I get mailing info.

Journal Entry 5 by Abecedarian from Clearwater, Kansas USA on Friday, May 25, 2007

On it's way to sheepseeker. Very sorry for the delay!

Journal Entry 6 by Sheepseeker from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, May 31, 2007

The book arrived here today - thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by Sheepseeker from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, June 03, 2007

Hm, until about half way through the book I asked myself, why the book got so little praise up to now. I found it strangely fascinating, though I didn't really liked the author's style of writing.
But from then on, the story went straight downhill. It got unnecessarily cruel and it got harder and harder to understand what Al Saeed wanted to say. I still don't know now I've finished. Strange...

Nevertheless, thank's for staring this ray, hobbit, it covers "Bahrain" for the Olympic Challege :)
I'll PM Piggeldy straight away...

---

Piggeldy has asked to be taken off the list, she's already read a book for Bahrain. I've PMed katyan instead...

Edit June 21st: No answer yet, gave it a second try just now...

Journal Entry 8 by winglunatumwing from Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Thursday, July 05, 2007

This book arrived today. I have on ringbook to be read before this one.

Journal Entry 9 by winglunatumwing from Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Saturday, August 11, 2007

I didn''t enjoy reading this book.
Next week I''ll mail this to Katyan.

Journal Entry 10 by katyan from Detroit, Michigan USA on Tuesday, August 21, 2007

This book arrived to me today, thank you!

Journal Entry 11 by katyan from Detroit, Michigan USA on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

As some previous readers, I wasn't really a big fan of this book either, probably because the style of writing of the author somehow disturbed me. But anyway, it was interesting to read a book from Bahrain & get one more step in the Olympic Challenge! Thank you for sharing it, I'll send it soon to the next reader.

EDIT 11.10.2007
Charlenemartel never answered to my mails, so I try to find another new reader to this book!

Journal Entry 12 by blackwidow1971 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 22, 2007

Received today - thank you!

Journal Entry 13 by blackwidow1971 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 18, 2008

No, I didn't like this either. I pretty much agree with Sheepseeker on this one. The characters seemed very unreal. Even their names didn't quite ring true, and the story was unpleasant. I found the end totally unconvincing - surely Patrick wouldn't "suddenly remember" he knew Guy from school and knew where his house was.

I also think it was really badly edited. Whilst I have to admire the author for publishing a book in his second language, a good editor should have picked up on some glaring errors - near the end one character apparently stages a "coupe". Another character describes a TV show as "What a story! What a cr*p!" Those are just a couple of examples.

I also agree with other journalers - something is hinted at but the author never comes close to explaining the "mystical link" between Guy and Patrick. What DOES Guy see behind the gate?

Journal Entry 14 by wingLeishaCamdenwing from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, March 19, 2008

This arrived in the mail from England today, along with two other books for my 'a book from every country' challenge. Thank you so much, blackwidow!! This is very much appreciated. It will take me a little while to get these books read but I will definitely read them, and journal my thoughts on them. :-)

Thank you so much!!

Journal Entry 15 by wingLeishaCamdenwing from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Friday, January 01, 2010

Finally getting around to reading this book. Started it today. I'm sorry to say that it's a total piece of crap so far. In the introduction, the author thanks his wife or girlfriend or whoever who helped him so much with the book, using her 'brilliant editing skills'. Sorry, what?? IMO a blind monkey could have done a better job as an editor. The book is SO badly written and chock full of typos. Sheesh. I'll write more later when I've finished the book.

Journal Entry 16 by wingLeishaCamdenwing from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, April 07, 2010

So, obviously, it hasn't taken me this long to finish this awful, awful book ... I did finish it a few days after my last JE, I just couldn't bring myself to write about it when I had. Still can't. Here are some of my not very polite thoughts on this, perhaps the worst book ever published.

Really very unsure what to do with this steaming pile of manure now ...