corner corner The Singing Sword (Camulod Chronicles, No 2)

The Singing Sword (Camulod Chronicles, No 2)
by Jack Whyte | Literature & Fiction
Registered by zosime of Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on 9/24/2006

status (set by elsi): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by zosime from Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, September 24, 2006

From the back cover:

The legions have departed. The last vestiges of Roman authority are gone and a thriving colony that has lasted for mor than four hundred years is poised on the brink of destruction.

Publius Varrus and Caius Britannicus are two Romans who choose to stay, choose to fight for their adopted land. They will build a hill-top fort that will withstand the onslaughts of the barbarians who seek to plunder Britain's wealth.

Out of their struggles a new Britain and a new people will emerge - Britons who are a carefully crafted alloy, a tempered fusion of Roman and Celtic greatness.

And one thing more...

These two men are the great-grandfathers to the man known as Arthur, King of the Britons, and their actions will help shape a nation...and forge the sword known as Excalibur.

This is the second volume of The Camulod Chronicles, and the story is still fascinating. I enjoyed it every bit as much as The Skystone.

I'm sending this to PepperVL as a bonus book, since she won The Skystone in tonight's ALS. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by PepperVL from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Thursday, October 05, 2006

Thank you so much for sending this along as well!

Journal Entry 3 by PepperVL from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I too enjoyed this book just as much as Book 1. I enjoyed reading the forging of Excalibur and how it came from the "Lady of the Lake"... the founding of Camulod, which I have a sneaking suspicion will with time be corrupted to Camelot... and the births of Uther and Merlyn. I really enjoyed the historical perspective on the Arthurian legend. I'd be interested to see what book 3 holds, though apparently the narrator changes and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

This is now going to Elsi.

Journal Entry 4 by elsi from Sanger, Texas USA on Monday, January 26, 2009

Nessa brought this to me at our meet-up on 22 January. It's going onto the TBR stack -- I'm glad that I have this second book to read when I finish reading The Skystone