corner corner The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream

The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream
by Paulo Coelho | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Annodyne of Sale, Cheshire United Kingdom on 9/22/2006

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Annodyne from Sale, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 22, 2006

TBR

Journal Entry 2 by Annodyne from Sale, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 06, 2008

When I finally got round to reading this book, I was disappointed, and confused about the nature of destiny. I don't think I necessarily believe that anyone can achieve their dreams, however impossible.

However, 43 million people, or however many it was who made the book a best seller, would have a different opinion, and I'm hoping that this copy finds a more appreciative reader.

Journal Entry 3 by FireOpal from Latina, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, September 09, 2008

This has just arrived and I am really looking forward to reading it once I've finished the one I have on the go right now.
Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 4 by FireOpal from Latina, Lazio Italy on Monday, September 29, 2008

I have to say I agree with Annodyne here, in that I had long been urged to read this book (and I did enjoy reading it), but was expecting something more well, exciting, really.

There's an interesting article on this book in Wikipedia, which indicates that the idea behind the novel is not a new one.

Journal Entry 5 by FireOpal at Marta, Lazio Italy on Friday, March 13, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (3/13/2009 UTC) at Marta, Lazio Italy

Controlled release to LindyLouMac

Journal Entry 6 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, March 14, 2009

One of a great selection of titles passed on to me by FireOpal, delivered to me personally by her husband yesterday. Thankyou they are much appreciated and once read will continue to travel somehow.

Journal Entry 7 by LindyLouMac at Viterbo, Lazio Italy on Saturday, June 11, 2011

A modern classic which was first published in 1988 in Portuguese, which has since been translated into seventy–one languages, making it the most translated book by a living author. It has sold more than sixty-five million copies in more than one hundred and fifty countries, making it one of the best selling books in history.

The Alchemist is not a complicated story, just a fable with a message about overcoming difficulties to enable you to follow your dreams. It is the story of Santiago a young shepherd from Andalusia who dreams of travelling the world in search of treasures. In his travels to Tangiers and Egypt he meets people with wisdom to impart, including an Englishman from whose books Santiago first learns about alchemists. Later he actually meets an alchemist who teaches him that the reason we remain unfulfilled in our lives is caused by the fear of failure.
This novel appeals to so many people as its outlook is so optimistic, telling us everything is possible if we really want it to happen. Everyone wants to think that the things we aspire to in this life, but never thought attainable may just be so after all. Therein I think lies the secret of the success of this best selling novel.

For a video and interesting author information, please visit my post on LindyLouMac's Book Reviews

Journal Entry 8 by LindyLouMac at Normandy France, to a friend -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, July 02, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (7/1/2011 UTC) at Normandy France, to a friend -- Controlled Releases

Sent to a friend and potential Bookcrosser in France.

Dear Finder of this book,

You don't have to join or sign up or anything to bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - LindyLouMac - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading

LindyLouMac

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Bayeux, Basse-Normandie France on Sunday, July 17, 2011

Lindy Lou in Italy kindly sent me the book after I read her review of it on line.
Sadly, I have to say that I didn't enjoy it and in fact didn't finish reading it although I'm sure many of the 24 million other people who have read the Alchemist probably wouldn't agree with me.
I shall be passing it on to a friend in Brittany.

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Quimper, Bretagne France on Thursday, January 26, 2012

And I'm the friend in Brittany ... I'm half-way through and I'm finding the book interesting - seems like a fairly classic fable-type story. More to the point, I've never read anything by this author and I'm trying to find out what his appeal is! When I'm done, I will pass it along to someone in one of my English-language book swaps.