corner corner The Glass Castle: A Memoir (Alex Awards (Awards))

The Glass Castle: A Memoir (Alex Awards (Awards))
by Jeannette Walls | Nonfiction
Registered by michyj of Perth, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, September 21, 2006

status (set by Ginchygirl): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by michyj from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, September 21, 2006

Amazon.com
Jeannette Walls's father always called her "Mountain Goat" and there's perhaps no more apt nickname for a girl who navigated a sheer and towering cliff of childhood both daily and stoically. In The Glass Castle, Walls chronicles her upbringing at the hands of eccentric, nomadic parents--Rose Mary, her frustrated-artist mother, and Rex, her brilliant, alcoholic father. To call the elder Walls's childrearing style laissez faire would be putting it mildly. As Rose Mary and Rex, motivated by whims and paranoia, uprooted their kids time and again, the youngsters (Walls, her brother and two sisters) were left largely to their own devices. But while Rex and Rose Mary firmly believed children learned best from their own mistakes, they themselves never seemed to do so, repeating the same disastrous patterns that eventually landed them on the streets. Walls describes in fascinating detail what it was to be a child in this family, from the embarrassing (wearing shoes held together with safety pins; using markers to color her skin in an effort to camouflage holes in her pants) to the horrific (being told, after a creepy uncle pleasured himself in close proximity, that sexual assault is a crime of perception; and being pimped by her father at a bar).

Journal Entry 2 by michyj from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, February 25, 2007

I always find it interesting to read memoirs. Lives so different from mine. I'm not sure what to say about this book because even though Jeannette had a poverty stricken upbringing and it as sad to read about that, for some reason her writing style just didn't pull me in as other memoirs have.

Journal Entry 3 by michyj from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Saturday, March 17, 2007

I will take this to the GCBC meet up today and if no one wants it I will bring it back home and possibly release it in one of the bookbags I belong to. It's too good of a book to wild release.

Journal Entry 4 by luckydipper from Coolangatta, Queensland Australia on Monday, March 19, 2007

Thanks Michyj, taken from the meet up yesterday, looks interesting.

update 20/3/07: passed along to browneyedgirl76 (not an active BCer) to read who will pass it back when she is done.

Journal Entry 5 by luckydipper at Australia in Bookmooch.com, a bookmoocher -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 10, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (9/10/2007 UTC) at Australia in Bookmooch.com, a bookmoocher -- Controlled Releases

Mooched from www.bookmooch.com
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by melissasyd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, September 15, 2007

I loved this - I devoured it in 2 nights and a morning. It is now on its way to Queensland via bookmooch.

Journal Entry 7 by lmn60 from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Saturday, September 22, 2007

And this one has found its way to me via bookmooch!!!

Journal Entry 8 by lmn60 at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, April 14, 2012

I gave up reading 'misery memoirs' ages ago... there almost seems to be a culture of one-upmanship amongst the authors ... "You think YOUR childhood was bad... listen to THIS!"

I made an exception for this one and wish I could have 'enjoyed' it more. It would be churlish of me to suggest that Walls has 'embroidered' her story at all... but regardless I don't think the quality of writing, or the lack of self-reflection, make up for the misery of this memoir!

Taking it along to meetup tomorrow in hopes that another bookcrosser will 'enjoy' it more than I did!

Journal Entry 9 by lmn60 at Degani Bakery Cafe: CLOSED in Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Sunday, April 15, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/15/2012 UTC) at Degani Bakery Cafe: CLOSED in Templestowe, Victoria Australia

Taking to meetup where it will either be snaffled by another bookcrosser or set free to travel!

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!) And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, lmn60, as your referring member. Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels- You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 10 by wingmarmee463wing at Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Sunday, April 15, 2012

Caught at today's meet-up at Green Sage Cafe, Templestowe - looking forward to reading it so have added it to Mt TBR.

Journal Entry 11 by wingmarmee463wing at Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Couldn't put it down....I felt so frustrated and angry with Jeannette's parents, however even though they undoubtedly failed as parents they must have done something right to rear such a forgiving daughter. Jeannette has written a poignant, candid memoir and I admire her courage in doing so.

Journal Entry 12 by wingmarmee463wing at Green Sage Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Saturday, August 11, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (8/11/2012 UTC) at Green Sage Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia

Taking this along to today's meet-up

To the finder of this book -
Lucky You! You have found a travelling book, there are no strings attached, however you may consider making a journal entry on the Bookcrossing site, just to let us know where the book is, it can be done completely anonymously.
You don't have to read it, you can keep it or just set it free again at some stage by passing it on to a friend or simply leaving it somewhere.

Journal Entry 13 by xtrdnry at Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Sunday, August 12, 2012

Picked up at The Green Sage cafe in Templestowe.

Journal Entry 14 by xtrdnry at La Camera in Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (8/26/2012 UTC) at La Camera in Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Planning to leave out the front along the wall as part of a Bookcrossing flash mob.

Journal Entry 15 by Ginchygirl at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, October 25, 2012

I found this book in Southbank outside La Camera restaurant on 26/8/12 and, after logging on here and reading some of the comments, I wasn't inspired to pick it up. So I left it on my bedside table without reading it for a month. Eventually, however, I did pick it up and found it quite easy to read once I did. I'm not really sure what I thought of the actual story - biographies are often self indulgent. This was sad at times, other times amusing, but I found the writing style very toned down in terms of emotion. The author seemed to report what happened (as she saw it), but without much blame. I kept flicking back to the photo of Walls' parents at the front of the book and imagining them in the scenes described. It was hard to believe at times.

Journal Entry 16 by Ginchygirl at --- Wild released somewhere in Melbourne in Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Friday, October 26, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (10/25/2012 UTC) at --- Wild released somewhere in Melbourne in Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Released into the wild at Princes Park, Carlton - outside Optus Oval.