corner corner Ancient Irish Legends

Ancient Irish Legends
by Padraic O'Farrell | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wing1972Galadrielwing of Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 9/30/2006

status (set by elizardbreath): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wing1972Galadrielwing from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, September 30, 2006

Ancient Irish Legends is a re-telling of some ot hte best-loved and most famous tales of ancient Ireland. From the 'Children of Lir' to 'Díarmuid and Gráinne' to the 'Salmon of Knowledge' and 'Oisín in Tír na nÓg' Padraic O'Farrell re-introduces us to these classic stories of the Celtic Past.

Its only 84 pages..so a quick and pleasant read.

Journal Entry 2 by wing1972Galadrielwing from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, September 30, 2006

BookRay!

kihaan - Finland - Ship int
rebeccaljames - USA - Ship USA only
terra57 - USA - ship US/CA
KateKintail - USA - Ship US
NewEnglandHiker - USA - Ship int (surface)
elizardbreath - USA
rebel-padawan - USA - Ship Int <- travelling
HallieK - USA - Ship int
Luintaurien - USA - ship int
fungirl503 - USA - Ship int
toyjoy - Singapore - ship Int
BellaMack - Australia - Ship Austr.only.

Journal Entry 3 by eowyn-unquendor from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, October 01, 2006

Gala took this lovely little book with her to the meeting in Delft. On my way home I've started reading in it.

Journal Entry 4 by eowyn-unquendor from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, October 04, 2006

This is a lovely little book. I've enjoyed the stories, and was happy to see there also is a map, introduction and glossary of names. And lovely drawings fill the empty spots. However, I would enjoy it even more if the stories were longer! These old tales often are very short.

The book is on it's way to the next reader, Ingootje.

Journal Entry 5 by Ingootje from Emmerich, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, October 05, 2006

heb het boekje ontvangen van eowyn-unquendor en ga er tijdens mijn treinreis vanmiddag genieten

Journal Entry 6 by Ingootje from Emmerich, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, October 08, 2006

It was a nice book to read, but just summarys of the legends. It would be nicer if the storys would be longer

Journal Entry 7 by wingyogiewing from Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden on Sunday, October 22, 2006

Recieved today when I got back home from my mother's. Looks like an easy read, but still interesting! Will get on with it as soon as I can.
Thanks! :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingyogiewing from Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden on Monday, October 23, 2006

Couldn't put it down when I got into it. It's a shame it was only short stories. I would have liked longer ones. The stories did, however, catch my interest and I will certainly read more Irish legends in the future!
I have already PMed QueenSissy, and I'm waiting for her address before I pass it on.
Thanks for sharing! I'm really glad I got the opportunity to read this collection!

ETA: Book sent off october 27nd

Journal Entry 9 by QueenSissi from Queluz, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Thursday, November 02, 2006

Arrived today! Thanks everyone!

Journal Entry 10 by QueenSissi from Queluz, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Tuesday, November 14, 2006

It was a nice read to learn more about Irish mithology. I do agree tht the stories could be longer but sometimes it feels really good to read a thin book filled with short-short-stories :).

Sending it forward as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 11 by Twynnie from Royston, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 30, 2006

This arrived yesterday. I have a few more before it but it looks like a quick read so I won't have it long!
Thanks to 1972Galadriel for sharing and to QueenSissi for passing it on to me!

Journal Entry 12 by Twynnie from Royston, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 13, 2006

These stories were good fun to read despite being rather short. I especially liked 'The Salmon of Knowledge'. One thing I would have really liked to be included was a pronunciation guide as I have no idea about how to pronounce Irish words - I'm sure I'm imagining them to be pronounced completely wrongly!

I have LittleMonkey's address so this will be on its way tomorrow...

Journal Entry 13 by theyounglion from Novara, Piemonte Italy on Thursday, December 21, 2006

Arrived today!Thanks Twynnie for shipping and 1972Galadriel for the bookray! :)

Journal Entry 14 by theyounglion from Novara, Piemonte Italy on Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I didn't like it very much... maybe because the stories are very short...
So now I want to read any others books of Irish legends...New input!

I'll send it tomorrow to Finland.

Journal Entry 15 by wingkihaanwing from Laihia, Pohjanmaa / Österbotten Finland on Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Thank you, LittleMonkey, the book arrived today. Also thank you, 1972Galadriel, for organizing this BookRay! I'm a big fan of anything Irish and am looking forward to reading these tales.

Journal Entry 16 by wingkihaanwing from Laihia, Pohjanmaa / Österbotten Finland on Thursday, January 18, 2007

I must say that I didn't like this book that much. I was really looking forward to reading the tales, especially the ones that I had never heard of. To me the stories were just too short and I didn't like the author's style of telling them "in his own words" either. Anyway, thank you 1972Galadriel for giving me a chance to read the book. :o)

rebeccaljames asked to be skipped so terra57 is next in this BookRay. I'll send off the book at some point next week. (sent on January 23)

Journal Entry 17 by terra57 from Hopedale, Massachusetts USA on Monday, January 29, 2007

Received today and will read asap.

Journal Entry 18 by terra57 from Hopedale, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Not one of my favorites but was quite different. Sent on to KateKinTail.

Journal Entry 19 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Got this in the mail today! How lovely :-) Will read immediately, thanks!

Journal Entry 20 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, April 13, 2007

I just finished reading this today. I don't really know why (especially since it's short and full of short little stories) but it took me a long time to get through. I got lost during a few stories and had to go back and re-read to be sure of who was who and what was happening. I think maybe the problem for me was that the stories were so short they felt rushed and lacking description and style. So I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I hoped I would. I've enjoyed reading everyone else's comments about it here, though- what a nice bookring!

My favorite stories were: The Salmon of Knowledge, Deirdre of the Sorrows & the Sons of Uisneach, Cuchullain and Ferdia, Cuchullain's Death (pictured with this JE- a bad photo of the statue mentioned in the book. I took the photo when I was in Ireland), and Oisin in Tir na nOg.

But I did like it on the whole and I'm very glad I got the change to read it; thank you, 1972Galadriel! I already have NewEnglandHiker's address and I will mail it out tomorrow.

Journal Entry 21 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Saturday, April 14, 2007

Mailed out today first class.
USPS DC# 0306 1070 0001 3577 3517

Journal Entry 22 by NewEnglandHiker from Brookline, New Hampshire USA on Monday, April 16, 2007

Received today from KateKintail. My thanks to her for sending it and to 1972Galadriel for initiating the Bookring. This is now the third book in my Bookring queue (we won't mention the hundreds -- literally -- of other TBR books). I'll get to it as soon as possible. It looks very interesting.

Journal Entry 23 by elizardbreath from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Thursday, May 17, 2007

Received this today...thank you!

Journal Entry 24 by elizardbreath from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Fun book, thank you for sharing! PMing rebel-padawan now.

Journal Entry 25 by elizardbreath at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (6/6/2007 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Sent to rebel-padawan yesterday.