corner corner Sold: Story of Modern-day Slavery

Sold: Story of Modern-day Slavery
by Zana Muhsen, Andrew Crofts | Nonfiction
Registered by musicgirl4 of -- Somewhere in E Yorks, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 11, 2006

status (set by Crystaljade): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by musicgirl4 from -- Somewhere in E Yorks, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 11, 2006

"...After eight years of misery and humiliation,Zana escaped.." This is a true story about about two girls born in Birmingham and sold to relatives in North Yemen.This is an unbelievable and at times heart-breaking account of what these girls had to cope with living as slaves.

Sending out as a bookray:
Here is the proposed order.Any problems please contact me. Enjoy the book and keep it moving!

clw204-Uk
DianeO - UK
Sirah - Finland.
katyan - Finland(asked to be skipped,has own copy)
book-man-8 Germany
Feryl - Australia Book is here
BellaMack - Australia
Crystaljade - Australia
piemunga_ Australia
Please wild release or carry on once it hits Australia.

Update Jan 07 I have a copy of Nadia's story which I will release when read.

Journal Entry 2 by musicgirl4 at controlled crossing in South Cave, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 18, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (9/18/2006 UTC) at controlled crossing in South Cave, East Yorkshire United Kingdom

Send to clw204 as part of bookray ending (hopefully!) in Australia.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Thursday, September 21, 2006

Arrived this morning:-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Saturday, September 30, 2006

An eye opening read.

Posted to DianeO this morning:-)

Journal Entry 5 by DianeO from Chesterfield, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 09, 2006

Received today - thanks! This looks to be an uncomfortable read, should be able to start it tomorrow.

Journal Entry 6 by DianeO from Chesterfield, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 31, 2006

My heart goes out to these two sisters suffering the horror and sadness of separation and the inability to change one's life. Have PM'd Sirah and will get this on its travels when I get a reply. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 7 by Sirah from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Thursday, November 09, 2006

Received the book today, thanks a lot, DianeO!

Journal Entry 8 by Sirah from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, November 27, 2006

Heart-touching and sad story. Today, as finishing the book, I lid a candle for Nadia. May God help her and her children to be free one day.

I´ve contacted book-man-8 for the address.

Journal Entry 9 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, November 30, 2006

I got it today in the mail. Thanks "sirah" for sending it and "musicgirl4" for this bookray!

Journal Entry 10 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Sunday, December 03, 2006

This is really a sad story. But it is also a story of hope, showing how human beeings can work against their fate.
The terrible thing about this book is that I know there must be many many more women beeing sold even today under very similar conditions. We just do not know about them and therefore nobody can help. This is even more saddening!
I found it very helpful and also interesting to look at Yemen with "Google Earth".

Journal Entry 11 by book-man-8 at on Sunday, December 03, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (12/4/2006 UTC) at

The book now goes to Mary-T.

Journal Entry 12 by Mary-T from Bruchsal, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Thanks, Book-man-8 - the book just arrived.
When I saw the name Zana Muhsen on the cover it sounded somehow familiar to me. Then I saw the pictures and exspecially the one with Nadia and Tina made me remember. Yes - I already read this book some years ago in German. It was a different layout and a very different title. But just the same. I even found it on my board. ;)
So - as soon as I have the next address, the book can go on its journey.

Journal Entry 13 by capivara from Campinas, São Paulo Brazil on Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Zana's story is really touching, and sadly hers is many other women's story. Women are not only sold into marriages, but also prostitution, which is even worse. I think, though, that the book could have been written in a better way.

I've been trying to contact the next reader on the list, but I haven't been successful. So now I'll contact darkpunkangel. :)

PS: Sorry for such an awful delay -- unfortunately I've been sick for a while, so I forgot to pass the book on to the next on the list...

Journal Entry 14 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Arrived safe and sound yesterday, sorry for the delay in journalling, I have limited access online these days. Anyway, I already started reading this and what sad story so far.

Journal Entry 15 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Friday, May 11, 2007

What a sad and heart touchung story, but the book itself was well written. It's horrible that this happens to women.

I'll send this out as soon as I get the next address.

Journal Entry 16 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Sunday, May 13, 2007

Now on its way to the next reader!

Journal Entry 17 by wingazukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The book has arrived. Thanks. I have a trip coming up so if I don't get to read it before I leave, it may be a few weeks later before I can finish it to send out. (I just don't prefer to bring bookring books on a trip least I lost it...) But reading the backcover, it reminds me of another book I read a while back - Not Without My Daughter.

Journal Entry 18 by wingazukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Monday, July 09, 2007

Sorry for keeping the book for a while, as I didn't get to start on it till I came back from my trip last week.
The story itself is heart wrenching, though I agree that the writing could be better.

Naturally, after finishing the book, I couldn't help wondering what happens to Zana's sister, Nadia. For anyone interested, here are some sites:

Also, as book-man-8 said, Zana is a very lucky girl to be able to get out, and that her life in Yemen could have been a lot worse. I feel sorry for Nadia, and more so for those whose stories we will never know and who have nowhere to turn.

This will be sent to booklady331 in a copy of days.

Journal Entry 19 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, July 21, 2007

I arrived home this afternoon from spending a week with my daughter and the book was here. YEA.. I am looking forward to reading it. I should start it in a day or two. I will PM the next person in line so I have everything read as soon as I am finished. Thank you musicgirl4 for sharing this book.

Journal Entry 20 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, July 27, 2007

This was a hard book to read as I know that not only Zana and Nadia suffered under Islamic slavery, but so do countless other women. I am amazed that womens' groups are not up in arms against the way most women are treated in these countries. It appears that they aren't very interested in these women.

I would like to know if Nadia and her children ever got to leave Yemen. Did Marcus ever get reunited with his mother? What happened to Zana's brother and other sister?

Journal Entry 21 by wingbooklady331wing at U.S. Postal Mail in By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 27, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (7/28/2007 UTC) at U.S. Postal Mail in By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

off to Hobbit as part of the bookring

Journal Entry 22 by hobbit from Surabaya, Jawa Timur Indonesia on Friday, August 03, 2007

This book arrived to me today. Thanks!

I''m leaving today on vacation. Since there are others in the ring behind me, I won''t take this book along and risk misplacing it but will start it when I return.

Journal Entry 23 by hobbit from Surabaya, Jawa Timur Indonesia on Thursday, August 16, 2007

I've finished and PMed karenlea for her address.

It was interesting to read about Zana's life and it left me wondering, too, about what had happened since this book was written about 15 years ago. Thanks, azuki, for posting those links.

Although Zana was born in Britain, she had dual citizenship and lived in Yemen for 8 years. So I am counting this book as my Yemen author for the Olympic Challenge.

Journal Entry 24 by hobbit from Surabaya, Jawa Timur Indonesia on Thursday, August 23, 2007

I put this in the mail yesterday to karenlea

Journal Entry 25 by Karenlea from Glendale, California USA on Sunday, August 26, 2007

Caught! I will start it this week. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 26 by Karenlea from Glendale, California USA on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I cannot even imagine how horrible their lives much have been in Yemen. Scary. This was compelling and hard to put down.

Thank you to Musicgirl4 for sharing!

I am mailing this book off to the next reader today, 9/4/07. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 27 by gabbysmum from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Received just now.I was hoping to take it with me on my short get away next week but I cant wait that long lol

Journal Entry 28 by gabbysmum from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Monday, September 17, 2007

A very moving and extremely sad story,my heart goes out to Nadia and her family but not to her "husband" and his.I hope one day this families pain will end in joy,it is a shame so many years have been lost which can never be recovered.
Its not just the women from other countries who need help,its the local women and girls as well.

Journal Entry 29 by gabbysmum at Bookring Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Released 6 yrs ago (9/24/2007 UTC) at Bookring Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Forgot to journal this one.Should almost be at its destination

Journal Entry 30 by Feryl from Coffs Harbour, New South Wales Australia on Friday, September 28, 2007

Received this in the mail yesterday.

Journal Entry 31 by Feryl from Coffs Harbour, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, October 11, 2007

Why am I still capable of being amazed at the cruelty and selfishness of people? You'd think I'd have learnt by now!! But Zana's strength of will is amazing, and inspiring. I went looking for an update on Nadia, and found the following in Wikipedia:-

"Nadia had not seen or spoken to her mother or sister since 1996, but in 2002, she gave an interview to Melanie Finn, a journalist for The Guardian, in which she stated that she was happy with her life, saying, "It was never in my mind that I wanted to leave. It's just my sister, she wasn't comfortable." She also denied that she had suffered any cruel treatment or abuse from her husband or his family.

Makes you wonder...

I'll get this in the mail as soon as I get the address for BellaMack.

Journal Entry 32 by Feryl from Coffs Harbour, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, November 24, 2007

I got no response from my PM's to BellaMack so this book is packaged up & ready to go in the mail to Crystaljade tomorrow.

Journal Entry 33 by Crystaljade from Hervey Bay, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Sorry about the long delay in journaling htis one, I haven't been able to get to the pc for ages! It is safe, and ready to continue its journey.

Zana and Nadia are both strong women. Reading this makes me wonder what I would have done in their situation....would I have had the streength to leave my children behind as Zana did, or would I have stayed for them as Nadia did, showing a different kind of strength? At least Nadia seems to have made peace with her situation now.

Anyway, I will pm for the next address and get this one posted asap.