corner corner The Philosopher's Doll

The Philosopher's Doll
by Amanda Lohrey | Literature & Fiction
Registered by blue1236 of Melbourne, Victoria Australia on 9/11/2006

status (set by Christa-BC): available

Journal Entry 1 by blue1236 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, September 11, 2006

I picked this up at the Melbourne Writers festival back in 2004 where I saw Amanda Lohrey speak.

Journal Entry 2 by blue1236 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Ready to send to Carole888 as an extra RABCK.

Journal Entry 3 by blue1236 at Australia Post, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 10, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (8/11/2009 UTC) at Australia Post, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

In the mail.

Journal Entry 4 by Carole888 from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Monday, August 17, 2009

Wow! Thank you blue1236 for this lovely surprise! This is quite an unusual book. Will let you know how it goes.

Journal Entry 5 by Carole888 from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, November 10, 2009

This is an interesting read. The book flows well and keeps one turning the pages, though I had a sense of dread and discomfort, throughout the reading of this book..... mixed with the need to find out more. The two main characters were irritating and I did not like them at all... The book took a different turn, for me two-thirds of the way through, when the perspective changed and the story continued.... and by then, I couldn't put it down. I also found that it helped to understand the themes of the book more once I read the article below. Thank you, blue1236 for introducing me to this author. This was beautifully written and I am looking forward to reading her other book that you've sent, Camille's Bread.

Interview with Amanda Lowrey (Warning, spoiler!)

Journal Entry 6 by Carole888 from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, January 28, 2010

I'm putting this into the OZ VBB for I'd love to see other opinions on this book.

August 2010 (Taken out of Oz Vbb)

Journal Entry 7 by Carole888 at East Fremantle, Western Australia Australia on Saturday, March 26, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (3/26/2011 UTC) at East Fremantle, Western Australia Australia

Released at If Store in East Fremantle where we had our meet-up today. We had a good time looking through each others books and choosing new ones to read. This has been picked up and it is enjoyed as much as I enjoyed it. (Thank you for sharing blue1236!)

Journal Entry 8 by Christa-BC at Perth, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, April 10, 2011

I picked this book up at the last Bookcrossing meet-up at the IF Store & have just finished reading it today. Amanda Lohrey has a very unusual writing style. Long sentences where the thought is interrupted by commas, going into a different direction & then coming back to the main idea. It took me a while to get used to this style of writing. I liked the philosophy questions, "Do animals have souls?", but the explanations did not go deep enough for me, I wanted more and also couldn't quite see the relevance to the story.
The best sentence in the book for me was "...the past is like a movie, as if the events we look back to belong to someone else." I can certainly relate to that.
Thanks Carole for pushing me to take this book home. I have certainly discovered something new.