corner corner Memory in Death

Memory in Death
by J D Robb | Romance
Registered by cheesygiraffe of Florence, Alabama USA on Friday, September 08, 2006

status (set by HoserLauren): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by cheesygiraffe from Florence, Alabama USA on Friday, September 08, 2006

After clashing with clones and killers in last year's Origin in Death, New York City police lieutenant Eve Dallas ("Her eyes were the color of good, aged whiskey and were long like the rest of her. And like the rest of her, they were all cop") settles back into a more conventional mystery. In December 2059, a mysterious woman shows up in Eve's office claiming to be her "mama." It's Trudy Lombard, the cruel foster mom who took nine-year-old Eve in after Eve killed her abusive father. Trudy made Eve take cold baths and locked her in closets, among other torments, and now Trudy wants Eve to pay $2 million to keep her past a secret. Readers of the series will know how Roarke, Eve's rich, deadly husband, handles the situation; he tosses Trudy out on her ear. When Trudy is found murdered the next day, it's up to Eve to catch the killer and prove that neither she nor Roarke was behind the bludgeoning. All the action takes place over Christmas, and Eve, being Eve, complains about the foolishness of the holiday, but Roarke et al. continue to slowly teach Eve the virtues of love, family and friendship. This is number 22 in a series that still manages to feel fresh.

Journal Entry 2 by cheesygiraffe from Florence, Alabama USA on Saturday, September 30, 2006

Great read. I can't get enough of Eve and Roarke. We find out a little more about Eve's past in foster care in this book. Hopefully in the next book Mavis has that damn baby. LOL

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, November 10, 2006

received in the mail today as part of the mystery swap. Thanks

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, February 25, 2013

Trudy Lombard, one of Eve Dallas' foster mothers shows up in Eve's office. This sends Eve in a 'tizzy' because of her wretched past. Trudy is not there to renew old times but to blackmail Eve and especially Roarke. Trudy was a cruel foster mom who abused Eve. Roarke refuses to pay and threatens right back.

Trudy is found murdered the next day and it is up to Eve to find the killer.

In this story the reader pretty much knows who the killer is but along with Eve is constantly searching for what will trip the killer up. On a personal note, Christmas is getting in the way of the investigation but Eve is doing some soul searching and finding out the true values of love, family and friends.

This was not one of my favourites but still a decent story and loved Eve coming to terms with a bit more of her personal life.

Journal Entry 5 by wingHoserLaurenwing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, March 29, 2013

This book is with me now

Journal Entry 6 by wingHoserLaurenwing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 03, 2013

It's almost Christmas time and Lieutenant Eve Dallas gets called out to a Santa that's fallen from a building and crushed a pedestrian below him. While looking in to the illegals Santa was on, Eve comes back to her office to find Trudy Lombard, a woman who fostered her for a short time as a kid. It hits Eve like a tonne of bricks because there aren't fond memories. Eve tells Trudy to get out and goes home to tell her husband Roarke of what has happened. Not surprisingly, Roarke finds Trudy in his office the next day, trying to blackmail $2M from him to keep his wife's past from the media. Roarke doesn't buy it, threatens her, and she leaves. A few days later, Eve decides that she needs to meet Trudy herself and tell her to never contact them again. What she finds is that Trudy is dead, her head bashed in.

This was a fairly unique book in the In Death series in that the murder that Eve is trying to solve doesn't happen until about 100 pages in. We learn a lot more about her past in this book and how tough things were for her. I also liked watching Eve and Roarke during the holidays.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 04, 2013

This book is back with me :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingHoserLaurenwing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 11, 2014

My mom, AceofHearts, passed away from breast cancer on September 17, 2013. Aside from being one of the best people I know, she was an avid reader and took immense pleasure in Bookcrossing, her book club, and reading many great books.

I will be releasing this in my mom's memory.