corner corner Queen of the Elephants

Queen of the Elephants
by Mark Shand | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by inkognitoh of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 8/27/2006

status (set by inkognitoh): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by inkognitoh from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, August 27, 2006

Picked this book up from a really interesting woman in Shoreditch via Freecycle.org. She had apparently been involved in the first Gulf War and a couple of others as a journalist and was part of some European somethingorother peace delegation to somewhere. I had initially gone to collect a camera tripod.

This book is probably going to make me want to leap on an elephant's back and take off across India.

Journal Entry 2 by inkognitoh at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I struggled a little bit with the tone of Shand's first book about his elephant trek across India and I flinched a couple of times from the tone of this one as well. I found the character of the 'Queen of the Elephants' uniquely interesting enough to persevere readin this book but don't believe Shand really did her justice. Please someone, write her biography rather than a heavily edited trip report by a wannabe mahoot.

Journal Entry 3 by inkognitoh at Yurts in Honiton, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (8/30/2011 UTC) at Yurts in Honiton, Devon United Kingdom

I stayed in a yurt near Honiton over the late August bank holiday weekend and left a couple of books there for whoever stays next.