corner corner Exchange

Exchange
by Paul Magrs | Children's Books
Registered by pumpkin-head of Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 23, 2006

status (set by pumpkin-head): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by pumpkin-head from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 23, 2006

A bookshop crammed with wonders; a lost friendship rediscovered; sinister secrets and a terrible act of revenge.

Following the death of his parents, Simon, a shy 16-year-old, moves into his grandparents' clustraphobic bungalow. United by their voracious appetite for novels, Simon and his grandmother stumble across the Great Big Book Exchange - a bookshop with a difference. There they meet impulsive, gothic Kelly and her boss, Terrance - and the friendships forged in the Great Big Book Exchange result in startling and unsettling consequences for all of them.

******

I'm working at the Edinburgh Book Festival just now and Paul Magrs was one of the authors in my venues today, he talked a bit about what the book was about and read from it and I had to go buy it immediately afterwards, despite my strict rules about buying new books. Much as I want to dive in and devour it, I'm know I'm going to have to wait at least a few days and savour the delights of a smooth-covered new book waiting to be read - otherwise I will just end up annoyed at myself of spending so much money on something I will just read in a night, no matter how good it is.

There's only one other copy registared on book-crossing just now, and it has a wonderful journal entry - Exchange, so I'm going to offer this as a ring, it is aimed at young adults / teens but I think it would be enjoyed by readers of any age, and books about reading are always popular here.

Oh, and it's a signed copy.

Journal Entry 2 by pumpkin-head from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, September 08, 2006

BookRing Participants

AnglersRest(UK)
LyzzyBee(UK)
Tuftynut(UK)
tontowilliams(UK)
wyjane(UK)

back to me

Journal Entry 3 by pumpkin-head from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 20, 2006

What a wonderful book, I loved it.

I could identify completely with Gran and Simon and all their bookish ways, it made me smile at being sat in my wee bedsit, surrounded by stacks of second-hand books. I have my own, less extreme, Mr Grumpy who moans about them constantly and I have discovered a wee book exchange shop locally. Books are my friends. I think my point is that it all felt very real to me and I would like to get on the bus on Saturday and go to the Great Big Book Exchange.

There are a lot of interesting ideas about personnal reality in the book also which I think I skimmed over slightly as I was caught up in the story. It's definately something I'll return to for a second read. It's crying out to be a bookcrossing book and be shared but I think this copy will have a permanent home with me.

Journal Entry 4 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, October 02, 2006

This great little book arrived this morning. I'm in the midst of ring crisis at the moment, with two books to send off, three books to read and in the middle of 2, so this is ring number 5!. Should get to the top fairly quickly.

Journal Entry 5 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Sunday, October 15, 2006

What a delightful book. Written in such a style that it has a gentle innocence about the storyline and characters.

Young Simon is orphaned and he moves in with his grandparents. His grandmother shares his passion for reading and together they explore the neighbouring town and discover the Great Book Exchange.

Through exchanging a book at this wonderful shop (I wonder if such a place exists?) Simon's grandmother comes across a selection of books written by someone she knew from her childhood. We then follow through the memories of Simon's grandmother. Simon makes friends with Kelly, a young girl who works at the Exchange, and they devise a plan whereby the three of them can attend a reading from the author that grandma knows. What follows is a renewing of an old friendship.

This is a wonderful story, containing dealing with the sensitive issues of grief, friendship and understanding.

Thanks so much for sharing; without Book Crossing I probably would not have come across this book. I have the address for LyzzyBee, so this will be traveling over the next few days.

Journal Entry 6 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, October 30, 2006

Received today and looking forward it - I have liked his other books that I've read. And it's signed! OOh!

Journal Entry 7 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, November 12, 2006

Ooh this was wonderful!! I read it in huge gulps. I have read and liked his books before, whether adult or young adult. The characters were beautifully done; slightly offbeat, which is typical for his characters, and not stereotyped. And there was something VERY cool, which I hope the others have noticed / will notice, and which impelled me to google him and email him after having let out a little yelp of excitement in the kitchen!

Thanks for passing this around - I will have to buy my own copy now!

Journal Entry 8 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, November 12, 2006

PM'd tuftynut for her address.

Journal Entry 9 by LyzzyBee at Sent to another BookCrosser in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 16, 2006

Posting to tuftynut on Friday.

Journal Entry 10 by LyzzyBee at Sent to another BookCrosser in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 16, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (11/17/2006 UTC) at Sent to another BookCrosser in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Posting to tuftynut on Friday.

Journal Entry 11 by LyzzyBee at Sent to another BookCrosser in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 16, 2006

Posting to tuftynut on Friday.

Journal Entry 12 by Tuftynut from Stepney, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, November 19, 2006

Arrived safe and sound, it came yesterday and I've only just had a chance to journal its arrival. I will put this one to the top of the stack and hopefully start on it this week. Thanks for the postcard LizzyBee and I'll be watching out for the surprise...........

Journal Entry 13 by Tuftynut from Stepney, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, November 19, 2006

I loved this book, really enjoyed it and was enthralled from start to finish. Just couldn't wait for my reading time, there was so much I could identify with throughout the book but not sure LizzyBee that I spotted the wonderful surprise near the end??? Help!! This is the first book by Paul Magrs that I've read but will definitely look out for him again. Thanks for the introduction pumpkin-head. Have PMd tontowilliams for contact details.

Journal Entry 14 by Tuftynut at In the hands of the Royal Mail in -- Posted, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Sunday, December 03, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (12/3/2006 UTC) at In the hands of the Royal Mail in -- Posted, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On its way to tontowilliams - enjoy............

Journal Entry 15 by Tuftynut from Stepney, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, December 03, 2006

Thanks LyzzyBee, yes I did spot the connection at the end - I was thinking maybe I was a bit dim and had missed something. What a perfect bookcrossers book - wonderful.

Journal Entry 16 by tontowilliams from Fareham, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Received from Tuftynut this morning. Will probably get to it straight away as I finished the book I was reading last night.

Journal Entry 17 by tontowilliams from Fareham, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 16, 2006

Read this one quite quickly and enjoyed it. Was intrigued by some of the ideas at first, and could relate to most of them, but I doubt I'll ever be lucky enough to find a Great Book Exhange Shop of my own! Still there is always bookcrossing ;)

Posted this morning on to Wyjane. Hopefully it will make it there soon, given the Christmas post.

Journal Entry 18 by wyjane from Radford Semele, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 18, 2006

arrived safely in the christmas post - though I don't think I'll have time to get to it til January. Still, it looks like one to look forward to.

Journal Entry 19 by wyjane from Radford Semele, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 25, 2007

I hadn't heard of Paul Magrs before but I'd happily read other of his books. I enjoyed this one, which I only got to because I left the other ring I was supposed to read first at my mothers house. And I spotted the reference to bookcrossing at the end before I read other peoples journal entries(I usually don't read them until I've read the book myself) I was very struck by a comment of Ada's something about hoarding things rather than keeping up with people like Winnie, and I loved the image of all her 'things' being given away.

I think I'm last in the ring si I guess this goes back to pumpkin-head, to whom thanks for letting me read it.

Journal Entry 20 by pumpkin-head from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, February 04, 2007

Back home safe, thank you everyone.

I'm glad it was enjoyed :-)