corner corner Between Two Worlds: Escape From Tyranny : Growing Up in the Shadow of Saddam

Journal Entry 1 by therubycanary from Portland, Maine USA on Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I am so excited abou this book. Zainab Salbi is a wonderful woman who runs an organization I've been inolved with for years called womenforwomen.org. She started this nonprofit so that American women could help women in war torn countries rebuild their lives. I knew that Zainab was from Iraq, but I had no idea how closely her life was affected by Hussain. She is a refugee who came to America at the age of twenty-one, and her father was Hussain's personal pilot.

Will start a bookring out of this.

dancing-dog (US domestic)
bartonz (US anywhere)
rrrcaron (us anywhere)
Jessibud (canada)
Hotflash (anywhere)
menalima (portugal - anywhere)
book-man-8 (germany - anywhere)
aussir-rose (australia - domestic)

Journal Entry 2 by therubycanary from Portland, Maine USA on Friday, November 24, 2006

I am so happy that Salbi finally wrote a book. I've been an admirer of her work, and a member of her organization, womenforwomen.org, for years. The book is readable, touching, and very informative.

She is absolute proof that people can come from any background and grow up to change the world.

Journal Entry 3 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Received in the mail this morning - looks very interesting. Will start it after my current book in 2-3 days.

Journal Entry 4 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Saturday, December 09, 2006

Finished this morning ... I really am glad I read this book. Zainab is a very strong and couragous woman and I'm glad she did write this, although I'm sure it was difficult for her. She should be very proud of her work with Women for Women, I will take some time to look into it more. Thanks so much for sharing it rubycanary, it is a thought-provoking and amazing book.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Got bartonz' address - will mail it out Monday.

Journal Entry 5 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Unable to mail it yesterday but it's traveling to bartonz today.

confirmation #0306 1070 0004 9346 5352

Journal Entry 6 by wingbartonzwing from Bellevue, Washington USA on Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I've got it and will start reading it as soon as I've finished a book to go out on a relay.

Journal Entry 7 by wingbartonzwing from Bellevue, Washington USA on Tuesday, January 02, 2007

This book really showed me how intimidating Saddam Hussein was to his friends and allies. The Butcher of Bagdad was also a schoolyard bully.

I'm sending this on to rrrcaron.

Journal Entry 8 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Friday, January 12, 2007

I went to pick up my mail today and was so excited to see this book waiting there for me. I have a book in progress at the moment, but plan on starting this one in a couple of days!
Ruth

Journal Entry 9 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Monday, January 15, 2007

What a tremendous book! I knew of the fear that Saddam generated in his country and people, but this up close and personal look at him made me truly sick. Zainab is such a strong woman, and as I read her story I wondered if I would have been able to stay that strong, or if I would have buckled under the strain of it all. Unfortunately for me, I think it would have been the latter. It was weird reading this just weeks after Saddam was put to his death- which should have been SO much sooner. I have contacted Jessibud, and will send this on as soon as I receive an address. Thanks so much for sharing this book!
Ruth

Journal Entry 10 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 30, 2007

This book arrived today. I am in the middle of an extremely frenzied week at work but hopefully, I will be able to start the book by the weekend.

Journal Entry 11 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, March 12, 2007

Apologies for taking so long. I seem to be getting slower and slower in my reading these days.

It never ceases to amaze me to discover just how strong the human spirit can be. I found this book very difficult to read, not because of the writing, not at all. Salbi is eloquent and honest and perhaps that is partly why; although my life is as far away and removed, in experience, from the life she lived, it truly hurt to read about the life so many Iraqi citizens were forced to live, under the reign of such an evil man. I knew, peripherally, of the horrors Saddam Hussein perpetrated upon his people but never realized just how horrific life was, day to day, for so many, even the so-called *priviledged*.

I had not heard of Zainab Salbi before this book but she is high on my list of true heroes right now. To be able to live through what she did and not only emerge alive but to take that and turn it into a positive force, is nothing short of heroic.

I know I am blessed. I was born in Canada, a country that has not had to endure anything remotely close to what I read about in this book. Yesterday I was out all day. It was an absolutely beautiful day here. I went with a friend down to the beach (on Lake Ontario) with our binoculars, to a place that is, in fact, a landfill site, open to the public only on weekends. No vehicles allowed so there were lots of walkers and cyclists. Everyone smiled and greeted each other as we passed, on this first sunny and warmish day after a long and cold few weeks of being cooped up indoors. We saw swans, mallards, long-tailed ducks, and a long-necked grebe out on the open water, as the ice was breaking up.

I felt alive, and safe and yes, blessed. I thought of all I had just been reading about and as I looked up at the clear and brilliant blue sky, I wondered how it was possible, that under this same sky, our own so-called intelligent species could do to each other what I doubt any other species would do to its own, just because it can.

I will never understand humans. Never.

Thank you, rubycanary, for the opportunity to read this book. It will be on its way to hotflash tomorrow.

Journal Entry 12 by hotflash from Tucson, Arizona USA on Monday, March 26, 2007

Made it from Toronto to Tucson in perfect shape. Thanks jessibud.
Sounds intense and fascinating.
As much as I hate the ongoing war with Iraq, I must admit that the very conflict I hate has driven me to read books I might not have otherwise picked up. I have learned so much about the Middle East -- especially the lives of the women. Will journal properly once I have absorbed this memoir...thanks to therubycanary for sharing.

Journal Entry 13 by hotflash from Tucson, Arizona USA on Thursday, March 29, 2007

Just a quick note to say that I will not be able to start this book until after April 1. Ususally begin reading a book-ring book the day it is received. Will try to read and get out by mid April.

Journal Entry 14 by hotflash from Tucson, Arizona USA on Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Thank you, therubycanary, for sharing this book. I am now a brand-new member of Women for Women, International.

Zainab's story was spellbinding. I couldn't put this book down.

I will never understand how men like Saddam, Hitler, Stalin... come to power and then either through charisma or terror (or both) manage to gain complete and total control of a nation. When these despots say "my country", they literal mean MY country. They take ownership of every living thing, every square inch of ground, very material possession, very thought. How does history keep repeating itself?? Why do these men keep rising to power?

And rape - WHY is rape an instrument of war? WHY???? Is there an underlying hatred of women (or fear or women) running so deep in the male psyche that rape becomes the one unifying act of violence common to soldiers of all countries, religions, and nationalities. It is horrifying. And the world, in general, turns its back.

Why did those close to Saddam - whether the closeness was forced or by choice - stay and tolerate his cruelty and insanity?? A question no one can answer. People seem to be willing to sell their souls to save their lives.

Islam - again, I am learning so much. True Islam is more intriguing the more I learn. Women can actually stipulate the terms of a marriage in a written contract?! The basics of Islam and Christianity and Judaism are so very connected: The Apostle's Creed is similar to the beginning of Muslim prayers: "I believe in one God...."; the coloring of eggs on March 21 has obviously been absorbed into Easter celebrations; the Sunni belief of the return of a Messiah is both Christian and Jewish. Somehow, we are all connected but the lines have been horribly smeared.

I am in awe of this woman, Zainab Salbi, who was able to find the energy, after all she had been through, to found a group like Women to Women International -- and, in her 20s. She is an inspiration. Her story is both disturbing and fascinating.

I have contacted the next reader and will mail as soon as I have an address.

Journal Entry 15 by hotflash from Tucson, Arizona USA on Sunday, April 08, 2007

My PMs to Menalima have gone unanswered. I want to keep the book moving so plan to send it off to book-man-8 in Germany within the next two days.
If Menalima surfaces, I will PM book-man-8 so that she can have her turn next.
Safe travels little book.

Journal Entry 16 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Sunday, April 22, 2007

The book arrived today - on a sunday! - in our mail-box... Thanks for the ring and for sending!

Journal Entry 17 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, April 26, 2007

This is a fascinating document about Saddam Hussein and "his" Iraq! It gives an extraordinary insight into the life of an "inner circle" of a dictatorship. This book is some kind of a historical document.

Trying to get the address of "Aussie-Rose".

Journal Entry 18 by book-man-8 at on Friday, April 27, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (4/27/2007 UTC) at

On it's way to "Aussie-Rose" - around half the world!

Journal Entry 19 by aussie-rose from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Friday, May 11, 2007

The book arrived safely! I'll get onto reading it as soon as possible once I have read my current book! Thanks for making this into a 'ray' seeing I am the last on the list. I will pass it along to another aussie BCer when I am done. :-)

Journal Entry 20 by aussie-rose from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Saturday, July 07, 2007

Finished! :-)

An informative read and I enjiyed reading this book, although nothing about hardship and war can be 'enjoyable' as such. It was good to get an insight into the lives of those people who were closest to Saddam and to see how they hated being in that position, but stayed out of fear.

Thankyou for sharing this book with me. I will be passing it along at a Meet-up soon.

Journal Entry 21 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 13, 2007

I am jumping in again because I wanted to let everyone know that Zainab Salbi has a new book. I was browsing around in the bookstore over the weekend and came across this one:

(gosh, I hope that link works, it looks enormous!)

In any case, it is a hardcover, coffeetable sized book, called The Other Side of the War - Women's Stories of Survival and Hope. It is mostly a book of photos (National Geograhpic is involved in the production of this book, so that tells you the quality of these photos), and brief stories of the women in them. Alice Walker wrote the introduction.

It is a huge and heavy tome, $37 Canadian, and I did not purchase it, but did spend a lot of time looking through it. Well worth it, though, in my opinion. And I loved that her name jumped out at me and I KNEW who she was. Anyhow, I thought I'd pass that along since everyone in this ring would appreciate it.

Journal Entry 22 by grooble from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Saturday, October 13, 2007

Received on a box of book from Aussie-rose. A compelling biography - thanks for sharing it, everyone!

Journal Entry 23 by grooble at by post or in person in -- Controlled Releases --, South Australia Australia on Saturday, October 13, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (10/13/2007 UTC) at by post or in person in -- Controlled Releases --, South Australia Australia

taking this book to bookcrosser cosminx.

Journal Entry 24 by cosminx from Hackham, South Australia Australia on Sunday, October 14, 2007

i love to receive books that were once rings or rays, because of the journal entries of those who read it before me (although i try not to read them before the book in case my opinions are coloured by the opinions of others!) looking forward to reading this one - thanks groobs for bringing it to me :)

Journal Entry 25 by cosminx from Hackham, South Australia Australia on Monday, November 19, 2007

wow. a powerfully affecting biography, about a truly exceptional woman. many thanks for passing this book to me - i'll be including it in one of my secret santa parcels.

Journal Entry 26 by cosminx from Hackham, South Australia Australia on Friday, December 07, 2007

i sent off my secret santa parcels today. i know they're liable to arrive much too early, but with it being a busy time of year for the post office, i'd rather they arrived early than late. i hope my recipient enjoys this book, and has a lovely christmas!!

Journal Entry 27 by leeny37 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Friday, December 21, 2007

This sounds like it's going to be a fascinating read, I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for sending this to me! Happy holidays! :)

From Amazon.com:
Salbi, president of Women for Women International, an activist group for women caught up in war, had an unusual childhood: her secular, educated parents, part of Iraq's elite society, were trapped in Saddam Hussein's extended circle, and she grew up spending weekends at a house "Amo" Hussein purchased for her family and going to extravagant parties thrown by the leader and attended by his sons. Naively enjoying the perks at first, she grew up to realize that the socioeconomic privilege came at extraordinary personal cost. Salbi calmly but frankly looks back on those years, some of which were marked by war between Iraq and Iran, cataloging her growing awareness of the terrible hold Hussein had on her family, especially on her mother, who, in an attempt to save Salbi from Hussein's grasp, married her to an Iraqi stranger in America who became abusive. Relayed without stridency or bitterness, this compelling memoir is not only a story of personal success but also a fascinating glimpse at a fanatical leader, who, in his quest for power, sacrificed his own people.

Journal Entry 28 by leeny37 at Forest Hill, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (2/4/2009 UTC) at Forest Hill, Victoria Australia

Sending this to Ms. February, Supertalya, as part of the Southern Cross 2009 Monthly Exchange on BookObsessed.com. It's not from your wishlist, but based from the books that are on there, I think you will like this. Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 29 by Supertalya on Wednesday, February 11, 2009

This looks great! Thanks so much for the books, bookmark and bc bookplates!