corner corner Waiting

Waiting
by Ha Jin | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Twicky of Twickenham, Middlesex United Kingdom on 8/19/2006

status (set by pinkoeria): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Twicky from Twickenham, Middlesex United Kingdom on Saturday, August 19, 2006

I enjoyed reading this and it's now off to Candy is Dandy as part of the BCUK Extra Asian swap. It's not particularly fast-paced, but in keeping with the title!

Journal Entry 2 by wingcandy-is-dandywing from Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, August 27, 2006

Thanks Twicky - it's lovely to get parcels (especially with 3 books!) I look forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 3 by wingcandy-is-dandywing from Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, June 04, 2009

Not in the league of The Wild Swans but an enjoyable book nevertheless and an insight into Cultural Revolutionary China where the State and employers (again the State) have almost complete control over individuals.

This book is about more than the main character 'waiting' for permission to divorce. Most of the characters have to 'wait' as they have little control over their own destinies. Lin's wife, waiting for him to return to her and learn to love her, his daughter waiting for her father's presence and attention, his girlfriend waiting for marriage, the consummation of their relationship and her chance to have her own child.

Thinking about it in retrospect I recognise more and more that the individual characters have little influence over their own destinies and accept this as the way things are. There are a couple of examples of those who take events into their own hands and are successful in getting what they want but the culture is such that most let life lead them along with no expectation they can change things.

Now sending this to suedo who won it in the 'Verb in the title' bookswap game.

Journal Entry 4 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, June 08, 2009

Many thanks, might be a while before I get to this one.

Journal Entry 5 by suedo at Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

a difficult read, most of the characters waiting, not just for events, but for someone else to change things for them.
I found the characters frustrating and shallow, but I wonder, if in that culture there is really any choice. I found myself wanting the characters to reflect and be a lot more self aware than they were. Maybe this is just a sign of where I am at right now

Journal Entry 6 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, March 02, 2015

Picked up at Suedo's house to go to the Oxford Convention in April.

Journal Entry 7 by wingkinediwing at Bookcrossing Convention 2015 in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (4/11/2015 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention 2015 in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

Welcome to Bookcrossing.

Thank you for catching this book! I hope that you enjoy it and will consider exploring this site and possibly joining. It is free and loads of fun, as you can track your released books in their travels, possibly all over the world!

Please feel free to keep this book for as long as you wish, and whenever you're ready, pass it on. Then watch its journey - you'll be alerted by email each time someone makes a new journal entry. It's all confidential, free and fun (and addictive - but in a GOOD way)!

You may remain anonymous, but if you choose to join the site, I hope that you will consider using me, kinedi, as the one who referred you.

Congratulations on finding a Bookcrossing book and Happy Reading!!!

Journal Entry 8 by pinkoeria at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 11, 2015

Picked up from the book buffet at the Oxford Convention.

Journal Entry 9 by pinkoeria at Fenchurch Street in City of London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, February 04, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (2/2/2017 UTC) at Fenchurch Street in City of London, Greater London United Kingdom

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Please let me know where you found the book and what you thought of it. Feel free to join BookCrossing, it's fun, it's free and it's anonymous. No one knows you by anything else than your screenname, unless you want them to. If you decide to join, please note me as your referring member - screenname pinkoeria.

Thanks and enjoy BookCrossing!