corner corner Archer's Goon

Archer's Goon
by Diana Wynne JOnes | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by bigcurlyloz of Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on 8/18/2006

status (set by Tsjara): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by bigcurlyloz from Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 18, 2006

"Fact: A Goon is a being who melts into the foreground and sticks there...When the Goon turns up demanding "Archer's two thousand", life turns upside-down. As Howard desperately tries to get to the bottom of this peculiar demand, he discovers that the town is run by seven crazy wizards (not all of whom live in the present!) and someone is trying to take over the world! Exciting, bizarre and truly hilarious!" - amazon.co.uk synopsis

Journal Entry 2 by bigcurlyloz from Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Monday, November 06, 2006

This was one of those books I picked up to most likely wild release. However, when Hexa approached me for a trade for (this and this) I found I didn't want to part with it without reading it first!

And I'm glad I did. I read quite a lot of Diana Wynne Jones when I was younger, but not this one. It was very entertaining, with some very amusing descriptions of the lengths the wizards go to in an attempt to make Mr Sykes write those two thousand words. Thoroughly enjoyable. (Although I did guess the main plot "twist" if you can call it that.)

I hope you enjoy it Hexa!

Journal Entry 3 by Hexa on Friday, November 10, 2006

REceived safely, lloks like a fun book. Thanks for the trade!

Journal Entry 4 by Hexa on Saturday, June 16, 2007

This was a really enjoyable read - you can always rely on Diana Wynne Jones. I guessed the main plot twist too but it was well done and clever.

Journal Entry 5 by wingTsjarawing from Zaandam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Arrived safely yesterday, really look forward to reading it. Thanks Hexa ^-^

Journal Entry 6 by wingTsjarawing from Zaandam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, March 03, 2009

I read this a little while ago, but forgot to make a journal entry..

I enjoyed it very much. Couldn't put the book down, because I wanted to know what the next wizard would do to get those 2000 words.
I really didn't expect that thing about Erskine.. (but I did guess the main plot twist).
And Awful is really funny, made me laugh out loud a quite a few times.

Reserved: gave to a friend to read.

Update 16 Okt. 2010: Got this back from my friend (unread), so decided to turn it into a bookring and let it travel the world a bit ^-^ (It's such a great little book, would be nice if it could get a few more readers..)

Journal Entry 7 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, November 12, 2010

This bookring is finished.

Forum post: http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/444441
Book info: small paperback, 241 pages, about 140 grams

Participants in shipping order:

1. Bookguide, NL (EU/Int'l shipping)
2. Vexter, Slovenia (Int'l shipping)
3. Mssaver, US (Int'l shipping)
4. Spartaca, UK (Int'l shipping)
5. elstaplador, UK (Int'l shipping)
6. Kiki66, Germany (Int'l shipping)
7. Innocencelost, Australia (Int'l shipping) (skipped because of non-response)

The book is back with me :)

General rules apply:

- Make a journal entry when you receive the book.
- Try to read it within 4-6 weeks, and let us know if you need more time.
- When you have finished reading, make a journal entry to tell us your thoughts on the book.
- Contact the next participant on the list for her/his address, and make a release note when you send it on.

Journal Entry 8 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, November 12, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (11/12/2010 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

The bookring has started and is now travelling to bookguide.

Happy reading everyone!

Journal Entry 9 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, November 13, 2010

Safely arrived already. I have a couple of books which I should read before this, but I will definitely read it within a month. I am looking forward to reading it, and possibly getting one of my children to read it too. Thank you, Tsjara.

Journal Entry 10 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, January 18, 2011

This is the second Diana Wynne Jones book which I have read, and I would love to read more. I think she became popular while I was in my twenties, so I've missed out on her books, and my children haven't picked up on them either because they were caught up in the hype about Harry Potter. If this hadn't been a bookring, I would have kept it longer to share with them.

'The Archer's Goon' is a wonderful and amusing fantasy adventure in the same vein as Terry Pratchett, with magic and humour and engaging characters, although I did get a bit confused about all the different brothers and sisters. There is plenty of action, and so it would make a great film, but perhaps when it came out, CGI was not sufficiently developed to make it feasible; now that the Harry Potter books are nearly all filmed, perhaps there will be room for some of Diana Wynne Jones and Terry Pratchett's books to be filmed.

Journal Entry 11 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, March 12, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (2/21/2011 UTC) at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands

Sent to Vexter in Slovenia.

This book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - read and release books on the TBR list since before June 2010. My reading goal is 75 books.
- Pages Read Challenge - read a self-set target number of pages in 2011. My goal is 25,000.
- Set It Yourself Challenge

Journal Entry 12 by vexter at Ljubljana, Osrednja Slovenija - Okolica Ljubljane in Ljubljana Slovenia on Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Got the book today, thanks bookguide! I'm looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 13 by vexter at Ljubljana, Osrednja Slovenija - Okolica Ljubljane in Ljubljana Slovenia on Friday, March 25, 2011

Ooh, this was fun! I read the whole book in a single afternoon. I didn't see the main plot twist coming and I now feel rather dull when reading everyone else's journal entries! :)) But I tell myself it just added to my enjoyment of the book, not knowing what's going to happen. ;) All in all, a perfect book to cheer me up after a long day.

Thank you very much for sharing this, Tsjara!

I've sent a PM to Mssaver and will send the book when I receive her address.

Journal Entry 14 by vexter at Ljubljana, Osrednja Slovenija - Okolica Ljubljane in Ljubljana Slovenia on Monday, March 28, 2011

Sent to mssaver! Forgot to send it priority (had several packages and forgot which goes to which continent *blush*), so it might take a while, sorry...

Journal Entry 15 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sorry to barge in like this :p, I just wanted to say that surface mail/cheapest shipping rate is fine (I think most BCers have quite a high tbr pile..). And also have sad news (or maybe you already know?), Diana Wynne Jones has passed away a couple weeks ago :( http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/6/454662

Journal Entry 16 by mssaver at Chicago, Illinois USA on Monday, May 02, 2011

Thanks, vester! The book has arrived.

And Tsjara, I'm sorry to hear that Diana Wynne Jones passed away. Somehow, I hadn't heard that before.

Journal Entry 17 by mssaver at Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, May 07, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (5/7/2011 UTC) at Chicago, Illinois USA

What a hilarious book! Now it's on its way to Spartaca. Again it might be a little slow on its way across the pond.

Journal Entry 18 by Spartaca at Oldham, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I got this book safely about three weeks ago. I haven't read much of it because I have exams and have had my head buried in textbooks for a couple of months. But they are over this week and then I will finish reading quickly and send it on. So far, it's intriguing. I've got to the bit where the family discovers that their home town, which appears ordinary on the surface, is really being run by 'seven megalomaniac wizards'. (Wish Oldham was being run by seven, or even just a couple, of megalomaniac wizards. They might do slightly better than the current council.)

Journal Entry 19 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Oldham, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Friday, July 08, 2011

Finished the book. PM'ing elstaplador for an address to send it on.

Journal Entry 20 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, August 06, 2011

Received today. Many thanks!

Journal Entry 21 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 10, 2011

There is nobody quite like Diana Wynne Jones for evoking an utterly convincing real life setting, creating a horribly plausible fantasy element, and combining the two in a way that makes you wander around the house casting shifty looks at the lightbulbs for the next few days. I enjoyed this book very much, finding the tribulations of the everyday family afflicted by the attentions of a family of wizards most amusing. I didn't see the twist coming at all; possibly I am not observant. I used to read a lot of DWJ; must seek out some more.

Journal Entry 22 by elstaplador at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, August 11, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (8/11/2011 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted to Kiki66. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 23 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

the Goon has arrived in Bavaria.. and will travel to France with me on
my holidays...

thanks!

Journal Entry 24 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Saturday, September 17, 2011

I've finished this some days ago..
Still waiting for Innocencelost to respond to my pm...

In the beginning I had a bit of a hard time getting into the book.. somehow I wasn't in the mood for it.. but then it got better and better and I really liked it.
And the ending (well, some pages before the end) really surprised me :-)
Thanks!

Journal Entry 25 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (9/27/2011 UTC) at Gauting, Bayern Germany

On its way home...

tried innocencelost for several times but no response (and her shelf
isn't active at the moment...) - so I send it back home.

Thanks again!

Journal Entry 26 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, October 04, 2011

This little book is back with me again. Thanks Kiki66 :)

And thanks everyone for participating in the bookring!
Glad you all enjoyed it :D

Edit June 2014: Book is with Voronda now :)