corner corner Virgin Earth

Virgin Earth
by Philippa Gregory | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAceofHeartswing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 17, 2006

status (set by zosime): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 17, 2006

From the Publisher
John Tradescant the Younger, gardener to Charles I, travels with his family to the Royalist colony of Virginia in hopes of finding peace from the turmoil of the British Civil War. However, John soon learns that, in both the old world and the new, chaos remains and every family must decide where its heart and loyalties lie.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, February 14, 2013

John Tradescant the Younger is gardener to the King, Charles I just like his father before him. But this is a time of unrest and the king is battling the rebels. John does not know where his sentiments lie, with his country or his king. So he takes off for the New World, Jamestown to avoid the issues. He leaves behind his children.

On this first journey he collects plants and is introduced to Suckahanna, a Powhatan Indian whom he falls in love with. He returns to England to find his father dead and a woman dedicated to his children. John is torn but marries Hestor. Soon however he is wanting to return to Virginia. He returns hopefully to build a plantation and live with Suckahanna. He ends up living with the Indians.

This story like the Civil War bounces between England and Virginia as John is torn. At the center core is his gardening but he just can not make up his mind where his loyalities should lie: with king or country, with Hestor or Suckahanna.

I enjoyed the story and never knew that England was without the monarchy for such a length of time.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sent to my birthday partner. Happy Birthday!!!

Journal Entry 4 by zosime at Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

This is so perfect! Dancing-dog sent me Earthly Joys, so now I can read them together! Come to think of it, I think quite a few of my Philippa Gregory books have come through you. Thanks, AceofHearts!