corner corner Perfect Match

Perfect Match
by Jodi Picoult | Literature & Fiction
Registered by sunflowergirl of Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on Thursday, August 17, 2006

status (set by whitetulip): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by sunflowergirl from Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on Thursday, August 17, 2006

WHSmiths had this on offer at half price on Saturday so I couldn't resist buying it, I love Jodi Picoult's books. It's now on my TBR shelf and I plan to read it very soon (I'll probably be unable to resist bumping it up the list and reading it next! LOL)

Synopsis from Amazon

From the first few words of her latest novel, Jodi Picoult grips her reader so firmly it would be madness to struggle. And from then on, it’s such a roller-coaster ride that it’s as much as you can do to put it down before you’ve reached the very last word.

After years of dealing with abused children and their families and working her damnedest to bring the perpetrators to justice, assistant district attorney Nina Frost takes a while to recognise the signs of abuse in her only child. When five-year-old Nathanial stops speaking and finally, through sign language, identifies his abuser, Nina takes the law into her own hands. And so begins a fast and furious tale of twists and turns--just when you think you’ve got it covered, you move at right-angles and a new reality emerges.

Perfect Match delivers what Picoult fans would expect--intelligent, polished writing that feels so real and natural you might forget it’s fiction. Once again, she covers the familiar themes of love--here specifically parent and partner relationships--and what happens to ordinary people when the extraordinary turns their world upside-down. Her research is as impeccable as ever--Nina is believable as a DA and the court-room scenes feel like the real thing. The everyday details of modern family life are set against the life-shattering events that ordinary people come to believe they are immune from as Picoult explores the boundaries of decency, bravery and betrayal and the consequences of believing, if only for a split second, that you and your family deserve more.

* * * * * * *

I've offered this book as a ray. Takers so far are:

jillbe (UK. UK only)
loopy1 (UK. UK only)
babyflylady (UK. UK only)
flanners (UK. UK only)
mellowdaisy (UK)
kinedi (UK. Eur)
MissTerry (Germany. Eur)
LindyLouMac (Italy. Eur)
oisec
herrgirl (UK)
maureenHB (UK. UK only)
notingnothing (UK. UK only)
juliako (UK. Anywhere)
collectorkerri
twynnie (UK. Anywhere)
mallary (France. Anywhere)
Maria-Nunes (Lisboa. Anywhere)

***Rules***

Please journal the book when it arrives with you so that we all know where it is, then journal again when you've read it so we can all read what you thought of it.

Please try and read the book within four weeks as there are lots of people waiting to read this book. If you aren't going to have time to read the book when it's your turn please PM me
and I will change the ray order.

Journal Entry 2 by sunflowergirl from Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on Thursday, August 24, 2006

I read this over the past few days and really enjoyed it. A couple of the Jodi Picoult books I've read recently didn't seem quite as good as the books I'd read previously of hers. However, this book was one of the better ones. I was hooked from the beginning and although many aspects of the story seemed quite predictible, this didn't detract from my enjoyment of the book. The ending was a surprise to me though. The characters in this book were quite real, especially Nina. She wasn't always likeable but she was a character that was believable. I really believed in the character of Nathaniel, he was very real to me. After reading the extra bits at the back of the book it seems a lot of what Nathaniel says is based on real conversations that Jodi Picoult has had with her own children so that is why he seems so real.

I've already got jillbe's address so this book will be off on its journey very soon.

Journal Entry 3 by sunflowergirl at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Sunday, August 27, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (8/25/2006 UTC) at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Posted to the first person on my book ray by 2nd Class Post.

Journal Entry 4 by wingjillbewing from Dorchester, Dorset United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Received today in the post, thanks. Really looking forward to reading this one, shouldn't take me too long. Will PM the next person on the list when I have finished.

Journal Entry 5 by wingjillbewing from Dorchester, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, September 03, 2006

Great book, couldn't put it down from beginning to end, I endorse everything that sunflowergirl says. Now passing onto loopy1, enjoy!!

Journal Entry 6 by loopy1 from Herne Bay, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, September 07, 2006

This book arrived yesterday morning, just after I'd seen all the kids off to school for the first time this term.
I've nearly finished my current book, and can't wait to get into this one. Thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by loopy1 from Herne Bay, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I finished this book a couple of days ago, but have been brooding on it before making a journal entry. I guess it's about time I finished with it and got it off.
It was an enjoyable, hard to put down book, just like all of Picoult's books. But after reading several of them, I am finding they are quite predictable, even in the twist at the end. Even some of the characters remind me of others in other books (the friend of the family desperately in love with the main character, mainly). And I had very little sympathy for Nina at all, I'm afraid. I didn't consider her actions to be justified at all. I'm not going to say too much here, because I don't want to spoil the book for other readers, but I'll be putting a fuller comment on my livejournal.
In the meantime, I guess my verdict is that I really enjoyed the book, while not sympathising with the main character, and being irritated by some of it. Thanks for sharing it, I'll get it moving as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 8 by loopy1 from Herne Bay, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, October 12, 2006

Thanks to the wonderful PM system, I now have an address and am in the process of enveloping this book.

Journal Entry 9 by BabyFlylady from Driffield, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 28, 2006

Found this on the doorstep when I returned from a few days away - a nice surprise as I had forgotten about it.

Looking forward to reading this but have a couple infront of it. Will get to it as soon as I can! Thanks Sunflowergirl for sharing and to loopy1 for passing it on!

Journal Entry 10 by BabyFlylady from Driffield, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 26, 2006

Have to confess to letting this one jump to the top of the pile. I have almost finished it and have found it strangely disturbing once I got into it! Will complete my synopsis later as I expect to finish it today (it is raining after all!!!! lol)

I have emailed Mellowdaisy as Flanners has asked to be skipped as she got a copy via another ring. Hope to move it on asap.

Journal Entry 11 by BabyFlylady from Driffield, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, November 27, 2006

Hmmmm where to start?

I took a long time to get into this one. I think I am probably bored with Picoult's style and am starting to pick up a thread of a theme. All her characters are strong women, usually in a love triangle involving a unrequited love of a childhood sweetheart. They are often lawyers or involved with the law somehow and they seem to conform to a similer stereotype somehow.

The story itself is a disturbing one and as a mother I could not help but be compelled to see how it turned out, however I had guessed it would be something similar to what happened. (There is a whole debate over justice to be had, but frankly I can't be bothered!) Nathanial's character was brilliant and disturbing and I couldn't help thinking I hope it is never me.

Didn't hate it, but it doesn't touch "Plain Truth" in my opinion. I think I might have a break from Jodi for a while!

Thanks Sunflowergirl for sharing though, as I am glad I read it. Waiting for Mellowdaisy to respond before I can move it on.

Journal Entry 12 by BabyFlylady at -- Controlled Release in South Shields, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (11/30/2006 UTC) at -- Controlled Release in South Shields, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Now Have an address after disturbing Mellowdaisy on her hols in Italy! Sorry but needed to move this on before it got packed up in the housemove to East Yorkshire. Enjoy!

Thanks Sunflowergirl for passing it on.

Journal Entry 13 by mellowdaisy on Saturday, December 09, 2006

Got back from Italy today so I'm sorry I haven't journalled the book before :-)

I'm just reading another ring book and then I'll be onto this one!

Journal Entry 14 by mellowdaisy on Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I have to say the first thing that annoyed me about this book was how Nathaniel's hair was described as blonde, yet the boy on the front cover has dark hair!

Overall this was an ok read, I wasn't particularly enthralled by it but it didn't stop me reading either. I have to agree with loopy1 in this book's predictability and the same sorts of characters coming up all the time. I am still reading other Jodi Picoult's books but I do have to have a break in between them.

I have PMed the next reader for an address and will pass this on as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 15 by kinedi from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Arrived safely in Scotland, thanks mellowdaisy for posting it out to me. So far I have enjoyed previous books by Ms Picoult so I am looking forward to this one now.

Journal Entry 16 by kinedi from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, January 15, 2007

Well, I must admit I thought ''Perfect Match'' was one of Jodi Picault's weaker books. Usually her strength lies in creating really believable human characters so that no matter what the main subject of the book is you can identify with the character and thus follow their emotional journey throughout. However, I thought Nina was a very inconsistent character who kept changing her script too many times and I simply could not warm to her and therefore could not see myself in her position ''what would I do if it had been my child, would I have gone and killed the man who did it''
Nonetheless I did enjoy the chance to read another Picault book and I just guess you can't always write brilliant books such as ''Plain Truth'' or ''My sisters keeper'' etc.
I have PM'd MissTerry for her address and will hopefully be able to move the book on swiftly. Thanks for this bookring sunflowergirl.

Journal Entry 17 by kinedi at fellow bookcrossing member in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 26, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (1/26/2007 UTC) at fellow bookcrossing member in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

On its way to MissTerry in Germany now. Happy reading

Journal Entry 18 by MissTerry from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, February 19, 2007

Found this and another bookring book waiting for me after a few weeks on holiday. Will get onto it as soon as I have finished my current book. And if its anything like the previous Picoult books I have read it should be a relatively quick read for me.

Journal Entry 19 by MissTerry from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, March 01, 2007

As expected I have finished this book fairly quickly. Another good book by Jodi Picoult.

As commented on by previous readers I also found Nathaniel to be a well portrayed character - I could almost hear his voice in my head. I also had trouble reconciling Nina's decisions with her rationale, but as I am not a parent myself I guess I will never know how I might react if put in her position.

A word of warning regarding the extra commentary at the end of the book - it contains a spoiler for The Pact, so if you have not read it and plan to, it may be worth skipping over this. For myself, I am hoping that I will have forgotten that I have seen it by the time I get to The Pact.

Journal Entry 20 by MissTerry from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, March 02, 2007

Have received postal address from LindyLouMac. Will post tommorrow.

06/03 - Posted on Saturday

Journal Entry 21 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Wow, that was quick arrived in the mail today. Thanks MissTerry for mailing on to me and to Sunflowergirl for letting me sign up for your Bookray. I have to finish my current book and read another slim volume before I read this one. As I am a quick reader I imagine this will be on its way again within a couple of weeks.

Journal Entry 22 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, March 12, 2007

This is my third Jodi Piccoult novel(The Pact, Plain Truth)and so far I am not disappointed. Even if I do agree with other reviewers that there is a similarity with her plot outlines. It obviously works and sells books so why not? Each title has a different ethical dilemma to explore, so I am not bored yet.
This one involves a heart wrenching case of child abuse, where the mother of the victim worked with such cases in her role as a district attorney.
This magnifyed the horror of the situation that no child or parent should ever have to face. Just how does one ever begin to cope with this ghastly but unfortunately real life problem. It is a struggle to protect children in todays' society. An enjoyable read that will make you think especially if you are a parent yourself!

Journal Entry 23 by LindyLouMac at by mail in to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 18, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (3/19/2007 UTC) at by mail in to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

En route to oisec in Germany

Journal Entry 24 by BPO-303097 on Monday, March 26, 2007

I received this book on Saturday, and have 1.5 books before I can get to this one, but I hope to finish them soon (though one's non-fiction).
Thanks for sharing, sunflowergirl!

Thanks for sending it to me, LindyLouMac! (The Red Tent is on it's way to you, btw :-) )

addition 05/17/07:
PM'd next person in line for address so I can send it on soon.

Journal Entry 25 by herrgirl from -- Somewhere in Oxon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Arrived this morning,thanks,oisec.I've been looking forward to this for ages. Unfortunately I'm currently in the run up to moving house, but will try to read it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 26 by herrgirl from -- Somewhere in Oxon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 15, 2007

This is the tenth book by Jodi Picoult that I've read, and I'm inclined to agree with one or two others on here that she is very predictable. This didn't stop me from enjoying this, although not as much as some of her others. I didn't warm to Nina at all, despite her situation, but was charmed by Nathaniel.

Thanks for sharing, sunflowergirl. I've PM'd MaureenHB for her address and hope I can get it to the post office before I move house on Friday!

Journal Entry 27 by herrgirl from -- Somewhere in Oxon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 15, 2007

MaureenHB has already read this, so it's on its way to notingnothing tomorrow.

Journal Entry 28 by notingnothing from Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, October 18, 2007

Arrived safely today - thank you :)

Journal Entry 29 by notingnothing from Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, November 05, 2007

Read this quickly once I got started & couldn't put it down. As others have said, Jodi Picoult's books are formulaic - but that said, I still enjoy them :) I had difficulties sympathising with Nina and her actions (which is new for me with a Jodi Picoult book - I am usually sympathetic to the main character) - but this didn't affect my enjoying the book.

Thanks for sharing!

(juliako has asked to be skipped so this is now on its way to collectorkerri)

Journal Entry 30 by collectorkerri from Springfield, Illinois USA on Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Received yesterday. Will read ASAP.

Journal Entry 31 by collectorkerri from Springfield, Illinois USA on Saturday, December 22, 2007

The problem with being near the end of the ray is that often other readers have already made the same comments that I would have. I'll second what other people said about Picoult's books being somewhat formulaic by now (I could do without the twist at the end--what is this, an M. Night Shyamalan film?), Nina being a somewhat unsympathetic character and such, but overall, it was a good read.

Sorry for taking so long with it, but it is now on its way to twynnie in the UK.

Journal Entry 32 by Twynnie from Royston, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 04, 2008

This arrived today, thanks to everyone for sharing! I will start on it very soon as I have just finished my last two books...

Journal Entry 33 by Twynnie from Royston, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 28, 2008

This book is well-written and gripping as I find all Picoult's novels are (although I agree with other readers about there being a formula), but I found it made me very sad and angry. I shall follow with some spoilers, so don't read on anyone who hasn't read it yet! I'll try to get the book moved on as soon as possible.

---SPOILERS---

I didn't agree in the slightest with what Nina did, but I couldn't bear the thought of here going to prison for it simply because it would have been so unfair to let Nathaniel be left without his mother on top of everything else. I could understand her frustration with the legal system and how it would treat her son but I didn't feel it in any way excused her actions, so I just couldn't sympathise with her, but I was relieved she was free at the end. I thought the ending was unnecessary also, sometimes her 'twists' are efeective but this book would have been more powerful without it in my opinion.

Journal Entry 34 by Maria-Nunes from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Tuesday, February 19, 2008

it's with me now.
I'll try to read it soon, so it can keep moving.
After reading it I shall send it as a RABCK, unless you, sunflowergirl, want it back or if you would announce on the forum for new readers of this ray...
thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 35 by Maria-Nunes from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I enjoyed reading this book, very much. It was a hard to put it down, just like the other book of Picoult I've read before.
I must say that I find the Picoult's books easy reading and for me it's like watching a TV serie or a TV movie - the plots, the descriptions make me "see" the places, the characters...And I find them really very "american" which means I never get to feel sympathy for the characters... What I'm trying to say is it all seems a reality so far from the reality I know...meaning the little things of day life, the way people live and all that... (for example, here in Portugal it's not that easy to buy a gun)
Anyway, I really liked this book.
Thank you so much for sharing, sunflowergirl, and thank all the others that have been keeping this book travelling :-)
Now I shall give it as a rabck

Journal Entry 36 by Maria-Nunes from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, March 13, 2008

This was going to be a rabck, but as more than 10 BC’s seems interested in the book, it turned out to be a bookray, instead.

Happy readings!

daniel3ub -Brasil

Journal Entry 37 by PatriciaLeao on Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Hello! Olá!

It's with me now.
I'll try to read it soon... How long can I have it?

Kisses... Beijos...

Journal Entry 38 by PatriciaLeao on Monday, March 24, 2008

I have allready read the book. It was a great book.

I gave in hands of isabelrodrigues.

Beijinhos

Journal Entry 39 by isabelrodrigues from Vila Nova de Gaia, Porto Portugal on Monday, March 24, 2008

Received today from PatriciaLeao!

Journal Entry 40 by isabelrodrigues from Vila Nova de Gaia, Porto Portugal on Friday, May 30, 2008

Great book ;)

PM'd next person so I can send it on soon.

Journal Entry 41 by sesese on Monday, June 23, 2008

It's with me! I'll try not to take too long! Still have a big one to finish. Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 42 by aonja from Vila Nova da Barquinha, Santarém Portugal on Monday, November 24, 2008

Este livro já chegou há um tempo. Não estava à espera dele. Acontece que neste momento da vida é-me impossível ler, ainda mais em inglês (e principalmente arranjar tempo).
Assim que puder passo-o ao próximo da lista e peço desculpa que o esteja a atrasar.

Obrigada pela partilha!

Journal Entry 43 by aonja from Vila Nova da Barquinha, Santarém Portugal on Friday, December 19, 2008

O livro já seguiu para a whitetulip. Lamento a demora.

Feliz Natal

Journal Entry 44 by whitetulip from Alenquer, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Saturday, February 14, 2009

I enjoyed reading this book although I can't say it's one of my favourites. It´s easy to read and the plot catches our atention because it's about one of those things we usually think only happens to other people and, in fact, it can happen to anyone, to one of our children. It calls our attention to this very serious problem, makes us aware that we should be alert to some signs and be conscious that the abuser is usually a close person. It is not only an interesting book, it also has the important role of making us think about the safety of our children and the complexity of the human being.