corner corner The Dirty Girls Social Club: A Novel

The Dirty Girls Social Club: A Novel
by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez | Literature & Fiction
Registered by mrsordonez of St. Louis, Missouri USA on Monday, August 14, 2006

status (set by criminologeek): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by mrsordonez from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Monday, August 14, 2006

I really liked this book, here is my original copy. I'll most likely start a ring with this, as soon as the other one I just saw start dies down...

Journal Entry 2 by mrsordonez from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Saturday, June 02, 2007

Decided to go ahead and start the ring before I move. So far on the list:

JerrilynnL, CO
solskinn, AUSTRIA
criswolff,BRZ
lady-anglophile, Kuwait
criminologeek, Malaysia

***the book has been mailed to the first reader!***

Journal Entry 3 by JerrilynnL from Denver, Colorado USA on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Received in today's mail. Looking forward to it!

Journal Entry 4 by JerrilynnL from Denver, Colorado USA on Sunday, September 23, 2007

Wow - really didn't mean to be so slow... A good book with a collection of stories about a group of women and their different situations. Reminded me a bit of my book club... this is off to aditey.

Journal Entry 5 by JerrilynnL at USPS in Postal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, September 23, 2007

Released 6 yrs ago (9/24/2007 UTC) at USPS in Postal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

off to aditey...

Journal Entry 6 by aditey from Glendale, Arizona USA on Saturday, October 06, 2007

Received in the mail a couple days ago for the ring! It's next in my TBR pile, and I'm looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 7 by aditey from Glendale, Arizona USA on Monday, October 22, 2007

I enjoyed this book more towards the end than the beginning. It was interesting to watch each of the women's story arc, but I felt that none of them were really flushed out enough, because there was so much ground to cover for each one.

Still a pretty fun read. As soon as I get the next address, it will continue on it's journey.

Journal Entry 8 by aditey at through the mail in US Postal Service, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, November 03, 2007

Released 6 yrs ago (11/3/2007 UTC) at through the mail in US Postal Service, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sending to bsliv1219 by mail. I never heard back from starbrightxx with an address.

Journal Entry 9 by bsliv1219 from Fremont, Ohio USA on Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I got this book in today's mail. I'll read it quick and send it on. Thanks for including me in the ring.

Journal Entry 10 by bsliv1219 from Fremont, Ohio USA on Sunday, November 18, 2007

I really liked this book. I was a little dubious at first, because it gets off to a slow start. Once I got into it I couldn't put it down. Thanks for including me in the bookring. I'll send it on its way in the next day or so.

Journal Entry 11 by bsliv1219 from Fremont, Ohio USA on Friday, November 23, 2007

I mailed this book to carelaisa on Wednesday. You're in for a treat.

Journal Entry 12 by carelaisa from Québec, Québec Canada on Thursday, December 06, 2007

Got the book yesterday. It's next in line to be read, so hopefully, I should be done with it in a short period of time!

Journal Entry 13 by carelaisa from Québec, Québec Canada on Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Finished the book and must say that I liked it! The characters are all interesting in their own ways, you get to know them though the book doesn't cover it all [otherwise, it would have needed to be much more longer for that!]. The bad point about it, I would say, is that it's hard to get into the story at first since we are following 6 persons and each chapter refers to only one of them. But, the more you read, the more you get into and it's then that you don't want to put down the book. Overall, it was a good read.

I've PM penelopewanders and, to avoid the Christmas rush at the post offices, I will mail it upon my return from my holidays, in the first week of January. I'll update again when the book will be out.

Journal Entry 14 by carelaisa from Québec, Québec Canada on Thursday, January 10, 2008

The book has been mailed today, via surface mail, to penelopewanders. It will take about a month to get there.

Journal Entry 15 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Sunday, February 24, 2008

This arrived safely here in the Swiss Alps today. Thanks so much. Still one long ring in front of it, but should be able to get to it fairly soon. Thanks! (and thanks for the lovely card)

Journal Entry 16 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Sunday, March 09, 2008

I agree with some of the other readers that this book gets off to a slow start, but once past the first meeting of the Sucias, it takes off and never slows. I enjoyed it very much - felt each woman was well characterized with her strengths and (many) weaknesses. I wonder if the first chapter was really necessary...
Thank you so much for making this available. I have PMed for the next address and hope to receive it soon, as I leave on holiday as of the 18th so either get the address and can send it before I leave or it will hibernate here safely until early April.

Journal Entry 17 by wingpenelopewanderswing at BookRing in controlled release, .---controlled release---. Switzerland on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (3/11/2008 UTC) at BookRing in controlled release, .---controlled release---. Switzerland

This ring is now on its way from the Swiss alps to Helsinki. Enjoy! Thanks so much for making this available.

Journal Entry 18 by bookwormess from Kotka, Kymenlaakso Finland on Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Got the book today, thank you for mailing and the postcard penelopewanders. I have one book going on at the moment, this will be the next one. Keep you posted.

Edit April 2:
Just wanted to inform that I started to read the book on Sunday 30th March.

Journal Entry 19 by bookwormess from Kotka, Kymenlaakso Finland on Monday, April 14, 2008

I've been trying to read this one for couple of weeks now, still at the page 80 or so. It has been laying on my table for a week now and I just haven't really even touched it. Just feels like the story doesn't begin, I'm not really that interested of their lives, which are (have to admit) different from each other. Only reason that I could read the book is the curiosity of Elizabeths love life, but I can quess that in the end she comes out of the closet.

I already have next participants address, so I'll put it in the mail later this week. Thank you for letting me try the book. :)

EDIT 17.4.2008
Mailed the book on Tuesday 15th April. Travels in economy mail, should arrive in the end of the month. :)

Journal Entry 20 by kiyoitsukikage from Brixton, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, April 27, 2008

It arrived on Friday, thank you!!

Journal Entry 21 by kiyoitsukikage from Brixton, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The book was quite touching. I liked how it was told from various vantage points. Thanks for letting me read it!

Journal Entry 22 by kiyoitsukikage at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, May 16, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (5/16/2008 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 23 by maggiemo on Monday, June 02, 2008

Sorry forgot to journal. Has arrived safely

Journal Entry 24 by maggiemo on Saturday, June 14, 2008

I did not take to this book right away. i had to leave and get back to it.
OK read but would,t recommend it

Journal Entry 25 by maggiemo on Wednesday, July 09, 2008

On to the next reader

Journal Entry 26 by UFK-537438 on Monday, July 14, 2008

It's here!
I have some bookrings on hands, so this one as to wait a litle.
Thanks!

Journal Entry 27 by UFK-537438 on Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I've contact de sext reader. As soon as I have the address I'll sent the book.
Thanks for sharring it!
xoxo

Journal Entry 28 by BOKWORMY on Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Received in the post today. Thaks mrsordonez & fbeatriz.

I've got a few bookrings TBR but I'll try to be quick.

Journal Entry 29 by BOKWORMY on Monday, September 22, 2008

I just couldn't get into this book!

PMing next person on the list.
12.10.08: PMed kittyscatle once again for address, as well as posted an ISO on the Bookings/Bookrays Forum.

Journal Entry 30 by BOKWORMY at on Monday, January 12, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (1/12/2009 UTC) at

On the way to Solskinn in Austria!

Journal Entry 31 by wolkenklang on Monday, January 19, 2009

It has arrived! Thanks a lot, mrsordonez, for including me in the ring at such late notice, and thanks to BOKWORMY for sending the book to me!

Journal Entry 32 by wolkenklang on Friday, February 20, 2009

Unlike the previous journalers I found the first chapter to be essential for the story, because it a) introduces all the characters in a short fashion, and b) tells how they all appear to be like from the outside. Their inner feelings and lives' histories are to be discovered when reading the following chapters, which make a good contrast to chapter 1.
The gap between inner self and outer facade becomes visible, which is one of the core themes of the book and present in all the girls' lives.

Having said that I found this a really good and outstanding book. Certainly not the shallow and superficial novel that I expected! :-) I'll definitely look for more books by this author.

Journal Entry 33 by wolkenklang at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, February 20, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (2/23/2009 UTC) at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Off to far away Brazil!

Journal Entry 34 by criswolff from Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro Brazil on Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I received the book a little over a week ago. Sorry for not journaling before. The good news is: I'm on page 115!

Thanks a lot mrsordonez. I'm having fun with the book, so far I like it.

Journal Entry 35 by criminologeek on Sunday, August 16, 2009

Book received, thanks for sharing. :)