corner corner The Crimson Petal and the White

The Crimson Petal and the White
by Michel Faber | Literature & Fiction
Registered by retromonkey of Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 18, 2006

status (set by RDWirral): available

Journal Entry 1 by retromonkey from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I think this must be my favourite book of all time. I can't praise it enough.

BLURB:
"Sugar, an alluring, nineteen-year-old prostitute in the brothel of the peculiar Mrs Castaway, yearns for a better life. And when she is visited by William Rackham, the somewhat reluctant heir to Rackham Perfumeries, she begins an ascent through the strata of 1870's London society that offers us intimacy with a host of loveable, maddening and superbly realised characters.
Gripping from the first page, this hugely acclaimed novel is an intoxicating and deeply satisfying read - not only a wonderful story but the creation of an entire extraordinary world."

Journal Entry 2 by retromonkey at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 27, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (7/27/2006 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent off in the post to PurpleElephant - the only person who was interested in my bookring. Hope you enjoy it. Sorry about the delay.

Journal Entry 3 by PurpleElephant from Glastonbury, Somerset United Kingdom on Friday, July 28, 2006

Book arrived in post this morning thank you very much retromonkey and my daughter says thank you for the sweets (I didn't get a look in on that front)Anyway I need to finish The Historian first and then this is next in line.
I can't wait!

Journal Entry 4 by PurpleElephant from Glastonbury, Somerset United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I actually finished this book last week but I keep putting off writing this review because I can’t quite work out how to give this mammoth work the justice it deserves.

First of all I’m a huge fan of the Victorian Novel and it is my greatest fear that one day I will read them all and have nothing left to enjoy, that’s why I’m always glad to discover authors such as Sarah Waters and Michel Faber who are willing to add to my TBR pile, just in case.

Yes it is a novel set in Victorian times and yet it is also so much more. Faber dares to write of that which would have made Dickens and co. (and indeed the readers) tremble and I’m not just speaking of the prostitution theme; think chamber pots and body fluids and I think you’ll get my gist.

Faber’s skill lies with his honest and vivid characterisation particularly with his women. After a week I’m still left with the feeling that Sugar, Agnes and even some of the minor characters like Emmeline Fox, will never leave me. And despite his many hideous faults and shortcomings there is even a place in my heart for dear old William Rackham!

I was also intrigued by Faber’s style. I’m not usually a fan of the present tense, I find it pretentious and clunky and yet Faber keeps it up for the entire 835 pages, without once tempting me to throw the book at the wall in irritation. This is largely due to the fact that he draws you in as if you have teamed up with the narrator and are following the characters as they go about their destructive lives.

This is about as far as I can go without giving too much away. It’s no good, I’ve tried but as I feared I cannot do this book justice at all. All I can suggest is that you read it for yourself and see.

Thanks Retromonkey for introducing me to the work.

Journal Entry 5 by PurpleElephant from Glastonbury, Somerset United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Continuing ray;

1)AnglersRest UK/UK
2)Caffy UK/ ?
3)Heaven-Ali UK/ ?

4)RDWirral UK/UK (keep at the end)

Anyone else? Pm me!

Hope to send on its way sometime this week

13/10 PLEASE NOTE ORDER CHANGE; AnglersRest had trouble contacting RDWWirral and wanted to get the book moving before her holidays, so we decided to change the order slightly.

Journal Entry 6 by retromonkey from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 08, 2006

WOW! I'm really pleased that you enjoyed the book PurpleElephant. It seems we have similar tastes, both loving the Victorian novel. I know what you mean about the characters staying with you. (I just thought this was because it took me over a year to read it!) Thank you very much for managing to pass it round other bookcrossers! A MUST READ, wouldn't you say?!

Journal Entry 7 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Sunday, September 17, 2006

Just arrived in the post. I know its Sunday, but as the postman explained they are trying to clear the backlog of mail from the recent strike. Ironically, he delivered two packages both posted this week.

I have one ring in front and my current ring read, but should get this moving again within the month. Thanks for sending.

Journal Entry 8 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, October 09, 2006

I tried several times to get into this book, and then decided I would have one more attempt before sending on its way.

The truth is, I enjoyed it. Perhaps it was the way it was written or perhaps that I needed to go down with a really bad cold and have a few days in bed to get me to enjoy it. I found that I had to just keep turning the pages; and I guess that is what makes a good book.

I have PMed RDWirral, and as soon as I have an address the book will be on the move!

Journal Entry 9 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Friday, October 13, 2006

In the post to caffy, as there has been no response from RD with an address and I am just about to go off on hols!

Journal Entry 10 by Caffy from Tiverton, Devon United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Book received safe and sound, will get to it asap. Looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 11 by Caffy from Tiverton, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, November 23, 2006

I posted The Crimson Petal on to Heaven_Ali this morning as I don't have time to read it at the moment (and won't for a while) and don't want to hold the ring up.

Journal Entry 12 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 28, 2006

This arrived safely today - it looks like a mighty read. I am halfway through another ring book, but will start it in a couple of days.

Journal Entry 13 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, December 10, 2006

Well first of all can I say I have never before spent a week or more reading a bookring book but with a hectic life at the moment and some early nights needed (after some late nights out ) my reading got slowed right down. This has meant I have spent what feels like a long time with these characters, and I am glad that I have. This book has definitely been the highlight of this last week. I loved the writing style, the reader is somehow brought right in to the heart of the story, and whilst you're reading you are right there, surrounded by that world, that Michel Faber has created. A world which I think feels very authentic, the people and their behaviours too feel real. I must say I loved Agnes, she was my favourite character - I do love a bit of madness - she was a tragic character in many ways - but she made me laugh too - I don't know if I was supposed to, it could just be my sense of humor. Overall I loved it - one of my books of the year I think - the characters will remain with me for a long time, and I may look out for a copy for my pc. While I was reading it other bc friends who had previously read it - warned me about the ending saying it ends too soon etc - but I didn't think so - although I know what they meant - I loved the ending.

Thanks for letting me read this book I have loved every page.

I have pm RDwirral but haven't heard back fromm them yet.

Journal Entry 14 by RDWirral from New Ferry, Merseyside United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 12, 2006

This arrived this morning - thanks very much

Journal Entry 15 by RDWirral from New Ferry, Merseyside United Kingdom on Sunday, December 17, 2006

I really enjoyed the book, I love big sweeping books of this type and I liked all the characters, except perhaps Henry who grated on me a bit. I also liked the way in which in seemed like a more realistic depiction the dark side of that era in history than something Austen could have ever written, but, for me I hate open endings, I like to know after investing so much time into the characters and into 800 pages exactly what became of them.

I'm on the waiting list for a bookbox in which you put books that you have which werent registered by you open for others to read, so I'm saving it for that, unless someone else wants it.

RD x