corner corner Sunday's Child

Sunday's Child
by Edward O. Phillips | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 7/15/2006

status (set by libbybook): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, July 15, 2006

[I've enjoyed Phillips' "Sunday" series so much that I keep picking up extra copies when I find them. This one's a trade paperback that was my "keeper" copy - until I found a nice hardcover to replace it!]

Canadian author Edward O. Phillips' "Sunday" series, featuring 50-something gay lawyer Geoffry Chadwick, begins with this dark yet often comedic suspense tale: Chadwick, alone on New Year's Eve and somewhat depressed about breaking up with his lover, picks up a young hustler and brings him home. When the man tries to rob him, Chadwick fights back, the hustler winds up dead - and Chadwick finds himself in a rather precarious situation. What he decides to do about it, and how this plays out, make up the majority of the tale; there's a feeling of vague unease shading to impending doom that reminds me of Highsmith, and poor Chadwick's nerves are tested to the limit.

One of the things I like about Phillips' books is his ability to make this quiet, comfort-seeking, somewhat stodgy character so likeable, even when he's making decisions that the reader (and, to some degree, Chadwick himself) know to be risky if not downright wrong. Or maybe I just identify with a 50-something person who lives alone in relative contentment but who wonders - just now and then - what else might be out there... and if it's worth the risk to the status quo of looking for it.

These are good books. Check 'em out. [The series: Sunday's Child, Buried on Sunday, Sunday Best, Working on Sunday, and A Voyage on Sunday.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, July 15, 2006

I'm offering this for a bookray (see forum post here).

Bookray/ring instructions:

When you receive the book, please journal it, and PM the next person in line for their address so you'll have it ready when you've finished the book.

Note: even if you've sent books to that person before, please PM them before mailing this one, to confirm that the address is correct and that they're able to take on a bookring book at this time.
Try and read the book promptly - ideally, within a month of receiving it. (If you expect to take longer, you can request to be put at the end of the list. If you find you're swamped with other books when the person before you contacts you about the bookring, you can ask to be skipped, and then let me know whether you'd like to be moved down the list or dropped entirely. If you receive the book and find it's taking longer than you'd planned to get through it, I'd appreciate an update in its journal entries or on your profile, just to let me and the other participants know you haven't forgotten it.)

When you're ready to pass the book along, please make another journal entry containing your comments about the book and stating where you've sent it, and set the book's status code to "traveling". [If you find that you're having problems contacting the next person in line, or don't think you can manage to mail the book as originally agreed, please let me know; I'll be glad to try to work something out.]

***

Participants so far, in mailing order:

Suefitz [California]
susanmrz [New Jersey]
geniedances [Texas]
rebeccaljames [Ohio] (skipped on request)
caligula03 [California]
LilB [Japan]

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Controlled release:

Sunday's Child is on its way to BCer suefitz in California, to kick off the bookring. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 4 by Suefitz from Saratoga, California USA on Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Received safely. Looks interesting.

Journal Entry 5 by Suefitz from Saratoga, California USA on Friday, December 08, 2006

Interesting book - would like to read more of the series.

Will be sending on shortly.

Journal Entry 6 by Suefitz at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, December 08, 2006

Released 10 yrs ago (12/9/2006 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Releasing on to the next person susanmrz

Journal Entry 7 by susanmrz from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, December 16, 2006

Received today and am looking forward to reading. Thank you for sharing

Journal Entry 8 by susanmrz from not specified, not specified not specified on Monday, January 08, 2007

Finished the book today and will be mailing it off to Houston Texas tomorrow. Thank you for sharing

Journal Entry 9 by geniedances from Houston, Texas USA on Saturday, February 03, 2007

Received today. I've never read anything by this author so I'm looking forward to discovering a new series.

Journal Entry 10 by geniedances from Houston, Texas USA on Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Wasn't what I expected. Different twist from the usual mystery novel. Since rebeccaljames asked to be skipped, I PM'd the next reader on the list. Waiting for a mailing address so I can send the book on its way.

Journal Entry 11 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Saturday, February 10, 2007

Book is here. Thanks.

Journal Entry 12 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Monday, March 05, 2007

The book had its moments but in truth there's only about 50 pages of plot along with a heap of exposition and inner monologue. By about page 100 I was seriously hoping Geoffrey would just shut-up and get on with disposing of the body.

Journal Entry 13 by caligula03 at on Monday, March 05, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (3/16/2007 UTC) at

Mailing to LilB.

Journal Entry 14 by LilB from Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Monday, April 16, 2007

Thanks very much. This looks like me !

Journal Entry 15 by LilB from Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Thursday, May 10, 2007

Interesting book though more suspense than mystery. Not somuch a whodunnit but a 'howshalligetawaywithit'. The cultured amorality and homosexual hero reminded me of Patricia Highsmith's Ripley books.
Thanks for setting this bookring up. I'll pass it on to someone nasty or nice !

Journal Entry 16 by libbybook from Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Sunday, May 27, 2007

Caught at Auckland Bookcrossing meeting today.Have added it to the Mount Toberead. Not sure if I am the naughty or nice, nice I hope.

Journal Entry 17 by libbybook at New World Supermarket in Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Monday, June 11, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (6/11/2007 UTC) at New World Supermarket in Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand

Left in foyer New World. Interesting book not sure if I can say I enjoyed it but it definately held my attention. Good weather to sit down with a hot drink and a good read. Enjoy.