corner corner Coraline

Coraline
by Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean | Children's Books
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Someplace, Georgia USA on 7/14/2006

status (set by brewski): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Friday, July 14, 2006

Dear Reader,

This is a favorite book of a children's librarian I really respect. I hope to read it. From the back cover:

When Coraline steps through a door to find another house strangely similar to her own (only better), things seem marvelous.

But there's another mother there, and another father, and they want her to stay and be their little girl. They want to change her and never let her go.

Coraline will have to fight with all her wits and courage if she is to save herself and return to her ordinary life.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I read Coraline over the course of a few hours this morning. It is a wonderfully imagined work and a compelling read, very entertaining. Like a dream it leaves you with things to ponder and wonder about. It is mercifully not preachy, though it is a book about facing horror. Here's my favorite glimpse of the horror, one I think I recognize:

"Thank you Coraline," said the other mother coldly, and her voice did not just come from her mouth. It came from the mist, and the fog, and the house, and the sky. "You know that I love you."

And despite herself, Coraline nodded. It was true: the other mother loved her. But she loved Coraline as a miser loves money, or a dragon loves its gold. In the other mother's button eyes, Coraline knew that she was a possession, nothing more. A tolerated pet, whose behavior was no longer amusing.

So, Dear Reader, now this book is ready for you to read. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I have.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Monday, February 12, 2007

I've decided to release this to a friend of mine, a bookcrosser. I thought she'd appreciate it as I read it.

Journal Entry 4 by guinaveve from Mason, Ohio USA on Monday, February 26, 2007

Thank you so much for sending us this and the other 2 books. You were right on the mark in thinking I would like it. I read it near the end of last year and loved it. It was scary in such a fantastic way. The passage that you quoted above stood out in my mind also. The idea of the button eyes is also very creepy.
Last year I collected books for my son's fourth grade classroom. The other copy I read was one of many that other BCers sent to me for this purpose and now resides on the shelf for the whole class to enjoy. If it had been mine to keep, I would have held on to it a bit for my son to try out. Since this other copy has come may way, I think I will see if Jsport is interested in it. He is not a big fan of creepy books like I am, but it is such a great story, I will let him check it out for himself.
Thanks again for sending it to us. If Jsport decides to pass on it, I am sure we can find another reader for this great tale.

Journal Entry 5 by guinaveve at a young BCer in To my son, South Carolina -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, August 09, 2007

Released 9 yrs ago (8/9/2007 UTC) at a young BCer in To my son, South Carolina -- Controlled Releases

I have no idea why that says South Carolina, oh well.

Journal Entry 6 by guinaveve from Mason, Ohio USA on Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I am sending this off as a prize for my 2009 Keep Them Moving Challenge

Journal Entry 7 by guinaveve at by postal services in Sent by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/21/2010 UTC) at by postal services in Sent by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

From your wish list...I am sending this as a prize for my 2009 Keep Them Moving Challenge

Journal Entry 8 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Thanks guinaveve, not only for fulfilling an item from my wishlist, but also for continuing to host the Keep Them Moving Challenge each year. I'm looking forward to reading this soon!

Journal Entry 9 by brewski at Markham, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

This was a quick and creepy read. As usual I very much enjoyed Gaiman's story telling abilities and thought this was a very unique story indeed.

Journal Entry 10 by brewski at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Francisco Airport in Burlingame, California USA on Friday, June 15, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (6/15/2012 UTC) at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Francisco Airport in Burlingame, California USA

Will leave somewhere in the lobby area.

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!) And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, brewski, as your referring member.