corner corner Middlesex

Middlesex
by Jeffrey Eugenides | Literature & Fiction
Registered by AnnevO of Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 7/14/2006

status (set by bookfrogster): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, July 14, 2006

"I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974." And so begins Middlesex, the mesmerizing saga of a near-mythic Greek American family and the "roller-coaster ride of a single gene through time." The odd but utterly believable story of Cal Stephanides, and how this 41-year-old hermaphrodite was raised as Calliope, is at the tender heart of this long-awaited second novel from Jeffrey Eugenides.

Journal Entry 2 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, November 26, 2007

I loved this book. I like Eugenides' narrative style a lot. For me, the story was pretty convincing, with enough medical details to make it even more interesting. I know people like Cal actually exist.

Journal Entry 3 by wandering from Breda, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Saturday, May 10, 2008

Got the book from AnnevO because it is on my wishlist. Thank you!

Note to self: dutch-flybabe wants to read it next.

Journal Entry 4 by wandering from Breda, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Saturday, June 21, 2008

I have mixed feelings about the book. On the one hand, I think the narrative style is really good and the characters really come to life. The topic is very interesting. On the other hand, I think the balance of the storyline in the book is a bit off. The first parts about the family history seem too long to me and the part that started getting really interesting, after 'being born as a boy', was too short. I would also have liked to know more about the romantic relationships the writer only just touches upon. But still, I think it is a really good book and that it will probably help open up some minds towards people that are not in the 'normal' box (who wants to be in that box anyway?)

I will give this book to dutch-flybabe tomorrow at the Castricum meeting. Thanks for sharing the book, AnnevO!

______________________________________

p.107: No reason to mention my peculiarities, my wandering in the maze these many years, shut away from sight.

Journal Entry 5 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Received this book at the annual Castricum meeting last sunday. Thanks wandering!

Journal Entry 6 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, August 03, 2008

I'm beginning to realize my taste in books is not the same as Oprah's at all (she said she liked it if I'm not mistaken). Although this book has a good subject which I think is important to read about, I put the book aside after reading 380 pages 'waiting for the story to start' then skipping to book 4 and totally losing interest at page 424. I think this book could have been written in 250 - 300 pages, it would benefit the story tremendously.
Time for the book to travel on!

Offered to Marsala who has the book on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 7 by dutch-flybabe at N/A, Netherlands -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (8/5/2008 UTC) at N/A, Netherlands -- Controlled Releases

Today I went to Nijmegen and rented a bicycle (OV-fiets) and had a wonderful time cycling to Marsala's irl mailbox to give her this book. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 8 by marsala from - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Wednesday, August 06, 2008

When I got back home I found this in my mailbox, thanks dutch-flybabe for this wishlist book!

I finished the book and it is definitely my favourite book of the year so far. Which isn't that special since it's only january, but still ;)
Unlike the previous readers I actually really enjoyed the family history, it makes it a lot more complete. History is such a great part of what a person is. Also it made the story a bit more full, not just a personal account of ones life, but it also deals with differences in culture and such.
I liked that it shows that things like gender and sex are influenced by so many things, like fysical appearance, upbringing, hormones, and then also just the way you feel.

Journal Entry 9 by marsala at Voormalige OBCZ 't Blauw Boerke in Best, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, January 11, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (1/11/2009 UTC) at Voormalige OBCZ 't Blauw Boerke in Best, Noord-Brabant Netherlands

I'm taking this book with me to the new year's meeting.

Journal Entry 10 by Eckleburg from Douai, Nord-Pas-de-Calais France on Monday, January 12, 2009

Was intrigued by the cover of this book and the blurb sounded interesting enough, so will be reading this soon.

Journal Entry 11 by Eckleburg from Douai, Nord-Pas-de-Calais France on Monday, December 21, 2009

What a fascinting book! A cross between a Greek-American family saga and a search for (sexual) identity. Richly narrated and humorous.

I agree with one of the previous journalers that the book itself can be said to be in a bit of an identity crisis, but the stories and its characters largely make up for that flaw.

How great to find a book that breaks a sexual taboo in such a tender manner!

Journal Entry 12 by MeGeerts from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, January 09, 2010

Look what the postman brought today!
Thank you very much, Eckleburg. Looking forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 13 by MeGeerts from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I really enjoyed this one. I loved reading the family background. The characters, the culture and the time period were all fascinating to me. In fact, for me, the book began to drag a bit when Cal is finally born and, you could say, the real story started. Because you go in knowing how it ends, I kept waiting and waiting for the big revelation to come and didn't find myself all that interested in Cal's childhood as a girl. I was still more interested in his family.

Journal Entry 14 by MeGeerts at Always Sunday cafe, High St (Royal Mile) in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, March 26, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (3/26/2010 UTC) at Always Sunday cafe, High St (Royal Mile) in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Released on Bookcrossing shelf @ Always Sunday Cafe.

Journal Entry 15 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, October 10, 2010

Caught at Always Sunday when I was releasing a couple of books. Have started and it and think it's great so far.

Journal Entry 16 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, November 06, 2010

I absolutely loved this book. Really original and so well written. I hardly wanted it to end. I think know someone else who might like it. Hope they haven't read it yet.

Journal Entry 17 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (11/15/2010 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Passed on to a newly acquired friend to read and release. Hope you enjoy it!