corner corner The Ghost of Silver Cliff

The Ghost of Silver Cliff
by Jai Sen | Graphic Novels
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 7/11/2006

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, July 11, 2006

This is the second book in the "Malay Mysteries" series that began with Garlands of Moonlight. This book picks up where the previous one left off, and brings a little closure to the events of that story, but afterwards wisewoman Marsiti and her new friend/sidekick Hidayat decide to leave that village behind. And of course they wind up stumbling into another mystery, not quite as gut-wrenching as the previous one but still interesting. The silver-toned black-and-white drawings are handsome, and the vaguely Scully-and-Mulder bickering of the two main characters (not my metaphor, I read it in some other review, but it's apt) is entertaining.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, July 15, 2006

I'm offering this for a bookring; see forum post here.

Bookray/ring instructions:

When you receive the book, please journal it, and PM the next person in line for their address so you'll have it ready when you've finished the book.

Note: even if you've sent books to that person before, please PM them before mailing this one, to confirm that the address is correct and that they're able to take on a bookring book at this time.
Try and read the book promptly - ideally, within a month of receiving it. (If you expect to take longer, you can request to be put at the end of the list. If you find you're swamped with other books when the person before you contacts you about the bookring, you can ask to be skipped, and then let me know whether you'd like to be moved down the list or dropped entirely. If you receive the book and find it's taking longer than you'd planned to get through it, I'd appreciate an update in its journal entries or on your profile, just to let me and the other participants know you haven't forgotten it.)

When you're ready to pass the book along, please make another journal entry containing your comments about the book and stating where you've sent it, and set the book's status code to "traveling". [If you find that you're having problems contacting the next person in line, or don't think you can manage to mail the book as originally agreed, please let me know; I'll be glad to try to work something out.]

***

Participants so far, in mailing order:

RockDg9 [Australia]
eicuthbertson [Canada]
Megi53 [Virginia]
rebeccaljames [Ohio]
fungirl503 [Oregon]

...and back to GoryDetails in New Hampshire.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, August 04, 2006

Controlled release:

I'm sending this book to BCer Rockdg9 in Australia to kick off the bookring. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 4 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Arrived here today. The artwork looks lovely.

Journal Entry 5 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Sunday, August 13, 2006

This is a fantastic story. I thought the silver artwork was gorgeous, and detailed.

I will be posting this one on tomorrow.

Journal Entry 6 by eicuthbertson from Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, August 24, 2006

Just received today. Thank you!

Journal Entry 7 by eicuthbertson from Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Beautifully done! Imaginative story; sensitively & intelligently done.
I haven't read many graphic novels, but this will make me look at more of them---especially from authors Jai Sen & Eric Bryden & illustrator Rizky Wasisto Edi.

Journal Entry 8 by eicuthbertson from Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, September 06, 2006

This book is now off to Megi52.
Thanks, GoryDetails!

Journal Entry 9 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Thursday, September 21, 2006

The book came in today's mail -- I'm looking forward to more adventures of Marsiti and Hidayat -- they're my kind of people, even if they do live on the other side of the world. An attractive middle-aged female who looks her age (well, her face does, anyway) and a rabid revolutionary -- fabulous!

Journal Entry 10 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Sunday, October 01, 2006

Compelling plot! I was engrossed in the two different legends here (Vampire and Ghost); the history of Indonesia's Dutch occupation; and the various cures for ailments ranging from seasickness to gastric-juice sores.

Edi is an excellent illustrator -- the boat he drew for this story is breathtaking. I have a copy of the first book in the series (Garlands of Moonlight) and he used much more silver ink in Garlands than he does in Ghost -- to the point that it caused a glare on some of the pages!

Mailing to rebeccaljames tomorrow afternoon.

Journal Entry 11 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Thursday, October 12, 2006

I just received this book today. I have a couple of books before it. I should be able to get to it in a couple of weeks.

Journal Entry 12 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I mailed this book to fungirl503 this morning.

Journal Entry 13 by fungirl503 from Portland, Oregon USA on Saturday, January 06, 2007

got the book today and will read right away as soon as I am done with the book I am reading this moment. Thankyou for sending the book this way looks to be a easy read and fast I am sure it will be back to gorydetails in no time.

Journal Entry 14 by fungirl503 from Portland, Oregon USA on Saturday, January 06, 2007

love the pictures in the book! A story that shows how one person and ghost trys to protect the villagers from the outsiders.
I really like the fist part of the book with the yooung lady being a vampire.
This book is heading back to golydetails who was so thoughtful for sharing this book. Thanks again!

Journal Entry 15 by fungirl503 at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Portland, Oregon USA on Saturday, January 06, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (1/6/2007 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Portland, Oregon USA

to gorydetails

Journal Entry 16 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, January 11, 2007

Home again! The book has returned safely from its round-the-world trip; thanks to all who participated, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! Shoto Press claims that the third volume of this series should be shipping very soon; I think I'll hang on to this book at least until I've had a chance to see the next one, in case I need my memory refreshed about the continuing storyline.

Journal Entry 17 by wingGoryDetailswing at J Beaner's cafe, 25 Rt. 101A in Amherst, New Hampshire USA on Monday, May 21, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (5/21/2007 UTC) at J Beaner's cafe, 25 Rt. 101A in Amherst, New Hampshire USA

Well, I've re-read this one, but as the next book in the series hasn't arrived yet (and I have some concerns about the delay, as both the third and fourth volumes seem to be overdue), I thought I'd let this one travel some more. I plan to leave it at J. Beaner's Cafe in Amherst at around a quarter to 3, either on the table in front of the fireplace or on the counter near the coffee bar. Hope the finder enjoys it!

Journal Entry 18 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Thursday, May 24, 2007

Saw while sitting in J Beaners cafe, where I am now, using my laptop. Looked at the book, read it a little, but not my cup of tea. The lady sitting next to me suggested I quickly check in here and mention that I found it. She didn't want it either, though.

CAUGHT IN AMHERST NEW HAMPSHIRE USA

Journal Entry 19 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Saturday, June 02, 2007

Not much of a book reader, but loved the idea of the traveling book. I picked it up in J. Beaner's Cafe in Amherst, NH and intend to read it and give it to a visiting relative to bring down to Florida.

CAUGHT IN AMHERST NEW HAMPSHIRE USA