corner corner The Assassins' Gate: America in Iraq

by George Packer | Nonfiction
Registered by LeighBCD on 7/9/2006

status (set by AnonymousFinder): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by LeighBCD on Sunday, July 09, 2006

I first heard about George Packer through podcasts. He was interviewed on several podcasts to which I subscribe and I immediately felt that he was someone who was very knowledgeable about the causes and reality of this awful war in Iraq.

I was right. This book is absolutely superb and I learned so much from it. Packer looks at the underlying reasons for America launching the war - unsurprisingly, 9/11 did not have much to do with it. I found the history of the first year of the Americans in Iraq particularly interesting, especially the gradual slide of the country into the current state of anarchy and civil unrest that we hear about every day.

This was truly a marvellous book and I hope that whoever finds it in the wild values it as much as I did.

Welcome to Bookcrossing and thanks for taking the trouble to visit this site! I hope you enjoy this book. When you have finished with it, make a journal entry to let me know it found a home then send it back out into the world again for someone else to find. Sharing books is great karma - enjoy this one!

Journal Entry 2 by LeighBCD at Birchlands Avenue in Balham, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, July 09, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (7/9/2006 UTC) at Birchlands Avenue in Balham, Greater London United Kingdom

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Wandsworth, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, June 24, 2013

This was donated to our charity shop but we're going to pass it on!