corner corner The Codex

The Codex
by Douglas Preston | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by CdnBlueRose of Arvada, Colorado USA on Wednesday, July 05, 2006

status (set by blackteiwaz): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by CdnBlueRose from Arvada, Colorado USA on Wednesday, July 05, 2006

From Publishers Weekly
Half of the writing team responsible for Relic, The Cabinet of Curiosities and other adventure bestsellers takes a solo flight, as Preston's writing partner, Lincoln Child, did in last year's Utopia. Like Child, Preston flies high and fast, turning in a briskly involving science-based thriller. The titular book is a Mayan artifact containing the sum of that people's knowledge about the medical applications of indigenous plants. The information is worth billions to any pharmaceutical company, but the Codex, along with numerous other priceless objects, was taken deep into the Honduran jungle by dying legendary tomb robber Maxwell Broadbent, to be buried along with him in a secret crypt. Max left instructions to his three grown sons that the only way to get their inheritance will be for them to track him and find the tomb. Max, who viewed his progeny as "quasi-failures," reasoned that by accomplishing this daunting task, the three-a veterinarian, a hippie spiritual seeker and a second-rate professor-will have proven themselves as men. What follows is rip-roaring jungle adventure, outfitted with a nasty villain (a sadistic PI who's also after the treasures), a beautiful blonde (partner to the vet), two memorable Indian characters, hosts of wild animals, terrific atmosphere and cliffhangers galore. The novel's main weakness is its lack of a strong central protagonist-the characters work more as an ensemble cast-such as Preston/Child have presented in their wonderful series detective, Special Agent Pendergast. Yet as always, Preston delivers the goods in a first-rate beach novel that most readers will be enjoying-at least in hardcover-while looking at snow rather than sand.

Duplicate.

Journal Entry 2 by CdnBlueRose from Arvada, Colorado USA on Saturday, August 05, 2006

Sending to Kislany as part of our trade arrangement - putting in mbag.

Journal Entry 3 by CdnBlueRose from Arvada, Colorado USA on Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Leaving on the slow boat to Cyprus today.......

Journal Entry 4 by Kislany on Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Yesss, was waiting for this one, will be one of my next TBRs!!

Journal Entry 5 by Kislany on Saturday, April 14, 2007

Reading it now, it's quite good. I was so fond of the 'Dig it' relays, I'll create a new 'old type' archaeological relay with it.

Journal Entry 6 by Kislany on Sunday, April 15, 2007

Good adventure, started a bit slow, but towards the middle of the book picked up quite well.
Reminded me strongly of Excavation by James Rollins.

Reserved for blackteiwaz on the Dig it relay.

Journal Entry 7 by Kislany at Mailed to BC member in Mailed to another BC member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, May 11, 2007

Released 6 yrs ago (5/12/2007 UTC) at Mailed to BC member in Mailed to another BC member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 8 by blackteiwaz from San Pedro, San José Costa Rica on Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Thank you for the book! I will read it and make sure it continues its journey, probably by giving someone else a chance to ask for it at the dig it relay.
I kept the stamps since I had never received something from Cyprus! ;)

Journal Entry 9 by blackteiwaz at Costa Rica Backpackers Hostel Bookexchange in San José, San José Costa Rica on Thursday, March 18, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/18/2010 UTC) at Costa Rica Backpackers Hostel Bookexchange in San José, San José Costa Rica

Making room in my shelves.
I left it at Backpackers Hostel in San José, Costa Rica.
I hope whoever finds this book, enjoys it and sets it free again.
Happy reading!