corner corner Small Island : A Novel

by Andrea Levy | Literature & Fiction
Registered by JDT of Pleasanton, California USA on 7/2/2006

status (set by RockDg9): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by JDT from Pleasanton, California USA on Sunday, July 02, 2006

Looking forward to reading this one - rec'd from a paperbackswap.com reader.
Thanks!

Journal Entry 2 by JDT from Pleasanton, California USA on Monday, July 03, 2006

Wonderful characters and cultural insights - England, Jamaica - 1948 and the years before. The influence of the empire, wartime London, immigrants, racism...
(wish the print were larger!)

Sending this book to yourotherleft - RABCK from her wishlist - part of a book relay.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by yourotherleft from Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, July 11, 2006

This came in the mail yesterday. Looking forward to reading it! Thanks for making a wish come true. =D

Journal Entry 4 by yourotherleft from Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, September 24, 2007

Loved this book.

Levy writes in four very distinct voices, and you really get to know each of the characters' hopes, dreams, motives, struggles, and failures. The dynamic of seeing how one character feels about his actions versus how another interperets them really adds an edge to this story and gives us insight into how even with our best intentions we fail to understand each other. While all the characters were engaging, I enjoyed Gilbert's the most. His desire to succeed in England combined with his understanding of the difficulties and prejudices facing him make him especially engaging. Levy's mother country analogy and why it drove Gilbert to join the RAF is memorable...

"Oh, Mother is a beautiful woman - refined, mannerly and cultured." Your daddy tells you "Mother thinks o fyou as her children; like the Lord above she takes care of you from afar."

Then one day you hear Mother calling - she is troubled, she need your help. Your mummy, your daddy say go. Leave home, leave familiar, leave love. Travel seas with waves that swell about you as substantial as concrete buildings. Shiver, tire, hunger - for no sacrifice is too much to see you at Mother's needy side. This surely is adventure. After all you have heard, can you imagine, can you believe, soon, soon you will meet mother?

The filthy tramp that eventually greets you is she. Ragged, old, and dusty as the long dead.
- pg. 116

And when Gilbert recognizes something in Bernard that unites them instead of setting them apart...

There was something I recognized on the face of Bernard Bligh. I glimpsed it on that first encounter for only one second, two. But I know it like a foe. Come, I saw it reflected from every mirror on my dear Jamaican island. Staring back on me from my own face. Residing in the white of the eye, the turn of the mouth, the thrust of the chin. A bewildered soul. Too much seen to go back. Too much changed to know which way is forward. I knew with this beleaguered man's return the days of living quiet in this house had come to an end.

And when he and Hortense finally begin to understand each other, it really is like the sun breaking through in an overcast day.

Levy captures the World War II experience from several different angles with realism and flair. Even though the subject matter could easily get you down, Levy lightens the mood with touches of humor and moments of happiness between characters. This is one of those books that really deserved its awards and good reviews!

Thanks for sharing this, JDT!

Journal Entry 5 by yourotherleft at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (2/19/2008 UTC) at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Sent to catsalive, winner of the BookObsessed RABCK sweeps! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Monday, March 03, 2008

Thankyou very much, yourotherleft. I received 2 copies of this in the sweeps - I can't get over how many wishlist books were sent - so I'm passing this on to another BC friend.

Journal Entry 7 by wingcatsalivewing at A fellow BXer in Aussie Post, Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 14, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (3/14/2008 UTC) at A fellow BXer in Aussie Post, Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

Sent to RockDg9 for the make me read it relay.

Journal Entry 8 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Monday, March 17, 2008

Thanks cats!

Journal Entry 9 by RockDg9 at Lifeline - donated to lifeline via bin in Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Thursday, August 20, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (8/22/2015 UTC) at Lifeline - donated to lifeline via bin in Toowoomba, Queensland Australia

Time to find a new reader!