corner corner Irish Ghost Stories

Irish Ghost Stories
by Ed. David Marcus | Other
Registered by dr-pit of Laatzen, Niedersachsen Germany on 10/29/2007

status (set by pinkydinky): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by dr-pit from Laatzen, Niedersachsen Germany on Monday, October 29, 2007

The cover looks different.

From the back cover:
"The irish have a long and impressive tradition of ghost storytelling reaching back to Gaelic tales of the banshees. David Marcus has gathered together a ghostly cast more inclined to twentieth century methods of haunting, from the spirit who taps out SOS signals on central-heating pipes to the woman who does her spectral knitting on the screen of an unplugged television set."

This is going to be a ray:

1. Tiamat-muc (Germany, sends within Germany)
2. Urla (Germany, sends internationally)
3. Bookworm-lady (Spain, sends within EU)
4. pinkydinky (UK, sends within EU)
5. Ainewicca (Netherlands)
6. sota48 (Norway, sends internationally)
7. BunnyLady (US, sends within US)
8. blackadder75 (US, sends within US)
9. somebody in the US who sends internationally, maybe you?
10. Sfogs (New Zealand)
11. ...

Journal Entry 2 by dr-pit at BookRay in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Niedersachsen Germany on Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (11/7/2007 UTC) at BookRay in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Niedersachsen Germany

The book will start its journey tomorrow morning.

Journal Entry 3 by Tiamat-muc from München, Bayern Germany on Saturday, November 10, 2007

Woomp, there it is (c:

Journal Entry 4 by Tiamat-muc from München, Bayern Germany on Monday, February 25, 2008

Some of the stories were a nice read, but most of them were just boring. At least the book was better than Great Ghost Stories

Journal Entry 5 by Tiamat-muc at Per Post verschickt in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany on Thursday, March 06, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (3/7/2008 UTC) at Per Post verschickt in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany

Und wieder auf Reisen

Journal Entry 6 by Urla from Galway, Co. Galway Ireland on Saturday, March 08, 2008

Thanks for the book!

Journal Entry 7 by Urla from Galway, Co. Galway Ireland on Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I nearly gave up after the first story for it was dull and rather silly. But after that the stories are getting better and better.

Find a more detailed review in my blog (in German only).

This book is part of my "1 year of my life = 1 country = 5 books"-Challenge (4th book for Ireland).

Journal Entry 8 by Urla from Galway, Co. Galway Ireland on Wednesday, May 14, 2008

On its way to Bookworm-lady in Spain.

Journal Entry 9 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I picked this up (together with its "book-mate") from the Post office on Monday
It seems just like my cup of tea; some of the stories are "old friends"; I will really enjoy reading... and re-reading them!
Eva

Journal Entry 10 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I am currently reading it, and it has some great stories so far!
I will ask for Pinkydinky's address...

Journal Entry 11 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, August 05, 2008

As with any collection of short stories, some are good, some are not so good...
I particularly liked "Hand in Glove", by Elizabeth Bowen (I am currently looking for some more short stories by her), and "A Pair of Muddy Shoes", by Lennox Robinson.
I also liked "The Captain in the Pipes", by Joseph Hone, "The Theft", by Jennifer Johnston, "Rise up, my Love, and Come away", by Patrick Boyle, "The Birth of Laughter", byu Desmond Heger, "Rich and Strange", by Peter Somerville, and "A Private Ghost" by Joyce Cary (the mixture of children and ghosts always work, as Henry James well knew...)
I must highlight the very funny "Saint Bakeoven", by Eric Cross, and the very original "A Ghost Story", by Mary Beckett, with its use of new technologies...
It will soon be on its way to Pinkydinky. Thanks for sharing...
Eva

Journal Entry 12 by wingBookworm-ladywing at -- Por correo, entregado en mano/ by mail, in person--, Madrid Spain on Friday, August 08, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (8/7/2008 UTC) at -- Por correo, entregado en mano/ by mail, in person--, Madrid Spain

On its way to Pibkydnky, in UK.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by pinkydinky on Saturday, August 16, 2008

I'm looking forward to reading this. Thanks Dr-pit & bookworm-lady.

Journal Entry 14 by pinkydinky on Friday, September 05, 2008

My favourite was definitely "Rise Up, My Love, and Come Away", by Patrick Boyle. I liked some stories better than others which is always going to be the case when reading compilations. A good read.

Journal Entry 15 by pinkydinky on Monday, September 22, 2008