corner corner The Complete Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

The Complete Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
by Arthur Conan Doyle, Sidney Paget | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/29/2006

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, June 29, 2006

I found this handsome hardcover on sale at Toadstool Books in Milford; it's a facsimile edition of the first collection of Sherlock Holmes stories, as printed in "Strand" magazine - and including the Sidney Paget illustrations. It's yummy to look at, and I expect to hold on to this one for foggy evenings when I'm in the mood to re-visit Baker Street...

It's hard to name a favorite story, though "Blue Carbuncle" would be somewhere at the top of the list - in part because it didn't involve any murders and things worked out pretty well all around {wry grin}.

The stories have inspired many stage and screen adaptations, of which my favorite is the TV series starring Jeremy Brett from the '80s and '90s. To my mind he was the quintessential Holmes, quirks and all.

[There's an extensive TV Tropes page on the stories, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Granite St. (see notes) in Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Friday, April 21, 2017

Released 7 mos ago (4/21/2017 UTC) at Granite St. (see notes) in Manchester, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book, bagged against the elements, near the "Crosswalk" sculpture on Granite St. near the Canal St. intersection. Hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for International BookCrossing Day! ***