corner corner Mary Reilly

by Valerie Martin | Literature & Fiction
Registered by IzzyLizzy on Tuesday, June 27, 2006

status (set by rahar109): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by IzzyLizzy on Tuesday, June 27, 2006

'A fresh twist on the classic Jekyll and Hyde story, a novel told from the perspective of Mary Reilly, Dr Jekyll's dutiful and intelligent housemaid.'

Not a book I usually would have chosen to read, but this was in with some books I bought as a set so I thought I'd give it a try. I have to say I enjoyed it much more than I expected to. Mary Reilly is a great character and it's a well-written book, easy to read, although I did feel a little disappointed with the way it ended. Maybe it helped that I knew very little about the Robert Louis Stevenson classic it's based on, or maybe I would have enjoyed it even more if I'd read that too, I have no idea.

Journal Entry 2 by IzzyLizzy on Monday, July 17, 2006

On its way to Gnoe in the Netherlands.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by Gnoe from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, July 20, 2006

Thank you so much for this RABCK IzzyLizzy! I have received RABCK's before but they were on request, so you could say that this is the first REAL one!

Read from 25-07 until 03-08-2006
Like my predecessor I felt the need to read Robert Louis Stevenson's Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde to be able to fully appreciate Mary Reilly. So that's what I did. And I'm glad of it because now I often knew what was happening while Mary did not.

Of course I was looking out for Mary Reilly in Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde but... she wasn't there! Just the kitchen maid, a nervous little person. So Valerie Martin made Mary up. I like how she uses her (and Stevenson's story) to acquaint us with the fact that there *were* housemaids and underhousemaids in the Victorian Age that could read and write. How she plays with fact and fiction on this matter.

BUT. Although I enjoyed reading the book I got annoyed by Mary every once in a while - how she adored her Master and resigned herself to her fate. But that's easily said in this day and age ;-)

His mouth was set and he looked at me so cold, I felt he hardly saw me, that I was some object to him, useful like his pen or his cheque, such as only exists to serve his will. A rush of anger came upon me, but I fought it down, remembering my place and my duty. Why, I thought, should he think of his own hands when he needs them? No more should he think of me.

In this Mary Reilly reminded me of reading Girl with a pearl earring.

I would like to know what happened to Mary after the death of her Master. Might there be a follow up some time in the future?

I do believe that Mary Reilly is a better read when you have a good (recent) knowledge of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - and I am even afraid of how little might be left without that. It certainly isn't gonna make my 2006 hit list ;-) And if you have the choice you'ld better read Valerie Martin's Property!

Journal Entry 4 by Gnoe from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, July 12, 2007

It's ready to be sent to rahar109! >> sent on Friday 13th!

I hope you'll enjoy it, rahar109!

Journal Entry 5 by wingrahar109wing from Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, July 16, 2007

Arrived safely in the post this morning, as part of a trade.
Thank you!

Journal Entry 6 by wingrahar109wing from Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Sunday, September 28, 2008

I read Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde many years ago, but I think I would have benefitted from re-reading it before tackling this book.However, I still enjoyed the book, wondering if Mary would work out what was going on.
Thank you for sending me this book, Gnoe!

Journal Entry 7 by wingrahar109wing at The Crown Pub/Hotel in Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (11/4/2008 UTC) at The Crown Pub/Hotel in Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom

Being taken to the meet-up tonight.