corner corner Country Roads of Iowa

Country Roads of Iowa
by Loralee Wenger | Travel
Registered by wingDocandSunshinewing of Everett, Washington USA on 6/26/2006

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingDocandSunshinewing from Everett, Washington USA on Monday, June 26, 2006

My Thoughts:
Picked up for release purposes.

From The Publisher:
Iowa country roads--you think of two-lane highways cutting straight for the horizon through fields of corn, or livestock auctions, fairs, farm stands, living history, and farm museums. But Iowa is state filled with surprises. From bluffs above the Mississippi River where elegant old homes overlook the river to rolling hills where immigrants from Luxembourg, Czechoslovakia, Germany and Holland built Old World towns, explore the wonderful Country Roads of Iowa with Loralee Wenger, who grew up on an Iowa farm.

More Stuff:
If you are new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site; welcome! Enjoy the site, the book and hopefully the BookCrossing community. I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using any previous reader of this book, or me, polliwog, as the member who referred you. If you are an old hand at BookCrossing, thanks for picking up the book! Either way, I hope you'll journal so all the previous and future readers can track this book's journey. Thanks, and Happy Crossing!

Journal Entry 2 by wingDocandSunshinewing from Everett, Washington USA on Thursday, March 01, 2007

**Sent to the winner of my USA BookBox - Megi53**

Journal Entry 3 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Monday, March 05, 2007

What evocative illustrations! Intriguing chapter headings -- looking forward to this.

Journal Entry 4 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I never imagined I would be chomping at the bit to visit Iowa, but this book was captivating! It had to be due to Wenger's writing ability, since I checked out Country Roads of Virginia from the same series at the public library and it was quite dull.

Wenger wrote about her cute little five-year-old daughter playing with a toy broom and skipping rocks with a nine-year-old cousin, among several other endearing scenarios.

There are descriptions of several towns populated by fascinating ethnic groups: Norwegians; Swedes; Luxembourgians; Amish; ghosts of Mormons and Icarians...

I had no idea, or more likely had forgotten, that cool people like Glenn Miller, the Everly Brothers, George Washington Carver, and Mark Twain lived in Iowa. Even Abe Lincoln owned 40 acres there!

I'd have preferred glossy photos to the subtle pencil sketches by Victoria Sheridan; and most of the antique stores and tearooms are probably defunct (copyright 1994). But hey, there's always Google! Off to check out the McHenry House with its moving third-floor ballroom now ...

Journal Entry 5 by Megi53 at Maymont Park - details in notes in Richmond, Virginia USA on Sunday, October 11, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (10/10/2009 UTC) at Maymont Park - details in notes in Richmond, Virginia USA

On bench near grotto. (Well -- that's what I must have planned. Looks like I donated it to Goodwill instead -- glad someone bought it; and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.)

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Danville, Virginia USA on Friday, June 11, 2010

Purchased 6/10/10 from Goodwill in Danville, Va. Have spent a small amount of time in Iowa in 1993, but wishes are that I go again. James Davidson, Chatham, Va. 24531-3559