corner corner The Great Stink

The Great Stink
by Clare Clark | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by DEESSE of Erstein, Alsace France on 6/26/2006

status (set by ielfling): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by DEESSE from Erstein, Alsace France on Monday, June 26, 2006

While browsing in a London bookshop I bought this book as part of the "3 for 2" offer - as I've just finished Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere" which takes place under London, too.

Beneath the streets of Victorian London lurks a dark, murderous secret

Through the city sewers walks surveyor and ex-soldier William May, just back from the horrifying brutality of the Crimean front and hiding from his own demons in the darkness beneath the capital's streets. But when May stumbles across a body in the tunnels, his discovery draws him into a mealstrom of underworld corruption that drags both himself and those closest to him further into depths from which there may be no possibility of light - or return...

Journal Entry 2 by DEESSE from Erstein, Alsace France on Monday, February 26, 2007

Because ielfling was interested in this book, I read it a lot earlier than planned - and didn't regret it at all! It's a very thrilling story, the atmosphere is very "reeking" and I could imagine the characters very well. I especially liked the "minor plot" with Tom and his little "love story" with "Lady" - I even shed the occasional tear and was happy that for these two everything had a happy ending, too.
Since last week it's on its way to ielfling in New Zealand, as part of a trade - enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by ielfling on Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Yay, thanks, Deesse!!! So exciting to get a parcel from France! And the book looks and sounds great, from your experience with it. I'll journal as soon as I've read it.