corner corner This is the Country

This is the Country
by William Wall | Literature & Fiction
Registered by goodthinkingmax of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, June 25, 2006

status (set by TheGoodEgg): available

Journal Entry 1 by goodthinkingmax from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, June 25, 2006

Adding this one to the Booker Longlist challenge. See fleebo's bookshelf for details.

fleebo
woosang
Alectoness
puppymummy
Viola7
xoddam
star-light

Journal Entry 2 by goodthinkingmax from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, July 10, 2006

I enjoyed this one. Yay. Wall is a really witty writer despite the darkness of the themes. The unknown underbelly of Ireland is beautifully evoked in the unexpected detail of the descriptions and the humorous observations and dialogue of the narrator. I also enjoyed the ending which was satisfying but not trite.

I will give this to fleebo at the meetup tonight.

Journal Entry 3 by Fleebo from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Received from goodthinkingmax at the Porterhouse hotel. Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by Fleebo from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, August 03, 2006

An admirable piece of work. Great writing, but left me feeling very down... no fairytale endings here. I'd like to think that it really is possible to escape that kind of start in life, but when you read this you'll probably doubt it. Thanks very much, goodthinkingmax. I will pass it on soon.

Journal Entry 5 by woosang from Picton, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, August 16, 2006

This book was like an accident. You don't want to look but you can't tear your eyes from the mess. The story was fascinating, but horrible at the same time. I am glad the ending easn't really an ending just like real life. I would never have picked this book up if I was browsing in a bookstore, so it was a different experience. I didn't like any of the characters (except the daughter) but their experiences are so far from my own it was..... different

Journal Entry 6 by woosang at Controlled Release in Picton, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, August 17, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (8/17/2006 UTC) at Controlled Release in Picton, New South Wales Australia

Sending to Puppymummy as Alectoness has asked to be skipped

Journal Entry 7 by wingpuppymummywing from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Either everyone is finishing up their Booker books at once, or else it's one of those times when everything arrives at once. I think this is the third one to appear in a week, and I am expecting another couple - so I will read them soon, but don't expect miracles!
At least this one isn't brick-sized....

Journal Entry 8 by wingpuppymummywing from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, November 27, 2006

Well, this one was pretty good. I felt that it was a worthwhile read and I liked the writing style here, it suited the subject matter.
However, my biggest feeling is of relief that I've managed to move one more Booker longlisted on - I am afraid that I seem to be holding them all up at the moment!

Journal Entry 9 by Viola7 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Monday, December 18, 2006

I don't really feel like dealing with such a black story at the moment, so I'm going to send this on.

Journal Entry 10 by xoddam from Springwood, New South Wales Australia on Monday, January 01, 2007

Caught at work today along with a very interesting-looking RABCK from viola7. Thanks, I look forward to it.

Journal Entry 11 by xoddam from Springwood, New South Wales Australia on Friday, April 13, 2007

Yet another Irish seaside retreat! But no art historians or mid-life crises in this one. Actually it's a great book, beats The Sea hands down. It was indeed rather like watching a train wreck, but I think because I'd already come to terms with the idea that something awful was going to happen, I found the story as a whole actually very upbeat. We know that the protagonist (do we ever learn his name?) is a resilient, positive kind of fellow despite everything, and it seems his daughter takes after him. It's grand to see him pull himself up from the depths, not once but twice.

Not a 'black story' at all, in my view.

I've pm'd star-light, will post it or hand it over within a week or two.

Journal Entry 12 by xoddam from Springwood, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Posted last week sometime, or maybe the week before. Anyway I've definitely sent it. Apologies for the delay, and many thanks for everyone's patience and generosity. A fine story.

Journal Entry 13 by star-light from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Book arrived today. Thanks xoddam for posting and for the tea that came with the book. The chai smells lovely!

Journal Entry 14 by star-light from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Sunday, July 08, 2007

I am in the minority here but I didn't enjoy this that much. The first thrid of the book was very incoherent and I found the style hard to get into. I realise it was to reflect the narrator's drug-addled brain, but it didn't work for me. The rest of the book was better but I was already somewhat alienated by then. I did appreciate how the plot moved along briskly - more than I can say for some of the other 2005 Booker books.

This book is now on its way back to goodthinkingmax. Thanks for the opportunity to read this.

Journal Entry 15 by goodthinkingmax at Edinburgh Castle Hotel, Pitt St in Sydney CBD, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, July 12, 2007

Released 6 yrs ago (7/10/2007 UTC) at Edinburgh Castle Hotel, Pitt St in Sydney CBD, New South Wales Australia

This one arrived home in my letterbox as I was leaving for the Sydney Bookcrossing meetup so I took it along and left at the pub.

Journal Entry 16 by TheGoodEgg from Wingham, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, July 14, 2007

Picked up at the pub "book crossing meet up", now have traveled north to warmer climate!! Hoping to stir some more interest in the local bookcrossing scene. Will be released at Conviva Cafe in Wingham on Monday!