corner corner The Christmas Train

The Christmas Train
by David Baldacci | Literature & Fiction
Registered by mlbish of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, June 24, 2006

status (set by sirwoland): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by mlbish from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, June 24, 2006

This was a fun Christmas book. I read and enjoyed it very much. It is a cute, uplifting story. Now it's time to share it with someone else!

From amazon:

Recently, Baldacci has ventured with success beyond the thrillers that made his reputation, first in 2000 with the historical melodrama Wish You Well, then earlier this year with the SF mystery novella The Mighty Johns. Here's another stretch, one that he performs with good spirit, a lot of humor and only a bit of strain a Christmas charmer set aboard a cross-country train. Tom Langdon's life hasn't been the same since his all-time love, Eleanor Carter, left him years ago while the two were hotshot journalists, and since he's quit serious reporting for writing fluff. Banned from flying for a year because of an air rage incident, he's decided to write about riding the rails over the Christmas holidays, planning to link up with his erstwhile girlfriend, a Hollywood star, in L.A. Aboard the Capitol Limited, running from D.C. to Chicago, Tom meets a host of unusual fellow travelers, including rambunctious train personnel, lonely wanderers and a pair of elopers; he also runs into Eleanor, now a screenwriter for a legendary film director who's on board researching a possible film about trains. Matters complicate further aboard the Southwest Chief, running from Chicago to L.A., as Tom's Tinseltown girlfriend shows up and proposes marriage just as Tom and Eleanor are working their way back together; a sneak thief nabs valuables; and an avalanche traps the train in the midst of a historic blizzard. The narrative is loaded with cool train lore (Baldacci dedicates the book to "everyone who loves trains and holidays") and plenty of romance and good cheer, though suspense is low who can doubt how things will work out? and the author gets a bit preachy about the advantages of train travel and the lessons of Christmas. This is a more warmhearted and enjoyable novel than Grisham's comparable holiday offering last year, Skipping Christmas, and Baldacci's fans will snap it up as the Yuletide treat it is.

Journal Entry 2 by mlbish from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, June 29, 2006

I am going to send this book traveling in a ray so that it can meet some new friends!

Here is what I ask of the BookCrossers that join my rays:

1) Have fun!

2) Please make a journal entry when you receive the book so that we know it arrived safely. It is a cold, cruel world out there after all!

3) I am into low stress bookrays and rings. Although one month is the general rule of thumb for keeping books, I'm not going to begin hassling you 30 days after you receive the book. If it turns out you need a little more time, please just make a journal entry and let us know.

4) Enjoy the book! When you've finished it, please make a journal entry with your thoughts. (This is my favorite part of bookrings!)

5) Pass it along to the next participant, sit back, relax, and enjoy the journal alerts. (I certainly do!)

Here is the order. I will adjust it as more people join the ray to allow for geography, shipping preferences, and other considerations. The person who has the book will be shown in boldface.

Thanks for playing with me guys!

--Lovesbooks05 - UK (pref UK, but INT if necessary)
--katyan - Finland (ships INT)
--gussy916 - India (pref Asia)
--Bulan-Purnama - USA (US only)

Journal Entry 3 by Lovesbooks05 from Motherwell, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, October 08, 2006

I got it the other day.

Journal Entry 4 by katyan from Detroit, Michigan USA on Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Christmas Train arrived to Finland!

Journal Entry 5 by katyan from Detroit, Michigan USA on Monday, February 19, 2007

Oh, I tried to get into this book a couple of times, but just wasn't for me... But I'll send it over to gussy916 as soon as I'll get her address. Thank you for sharing it anyway.

Journal Entry 6 by katyan from Detroit, Michigan USA on Monday, February 19, 2007

I just noticed gussy916 is asking to be skipped from all the bookrings, so I'll send this to the next in line, back to States!

Journal Entry 7 by katyan from Detroit, Michigan USA on Tuesday, February 20, 2007

So now this book made me curious, also Bulan-Purnama told me that she already bought a copy of this book for herself. And then I noticed this was a bookray. So now I'm the last person in the ray. And somehow I started to feel that this book deserves another opportunity, it seems that it's just sticking with me, so I'll reserve a quiet peaceful moment for it and read it then... Maybe the first times when I tried I was too busy, I've been in the middle of many bookrings currently. So this book will get another opportunity from me...! :)

Journal Entry 8 by katyan from Detroit, Michigan USA on Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Hi! I read this book eventually! I'm so waiting for Christmas that I thought it would be nice to read something like this...:) It was a nice story, I especially enjoyed the aspect of traveling and the stories and thoughts about trains.
I know someone who is a bookcrosser too and to who I might like to give this book as a surprise....

Journal Entry 9 by katyan at Yliopisto, Agora in Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi Finland on Friday, November 30, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (11/30/2007 UTC) at Yliopisto, Agora in Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi Finland

I released this book as a part of my Advent Calendar 2007 - Joulukalenteri 2007 !!!!!
This was the window number 1!

The book can be found in Agora at the 3rd floor.

Merry Christmas!

Journal Entry 10 by sirwoland from Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi Finland on Monday, December 03, 2007

Found it and will place it on the "to read" pile.