corner corner JPod

JPod
by Douglas Copeland | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingpinkozcatwing of Claremont, Western Australia Australia on 6/23/2006

status (set by pinkozcat): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingpinkozcatwing from Claremont, Western Australia Australia on Friday, June 23, 2006

I bought this book because it looked interesting; it is supposed to be funny so here's hoping ...

The Blurb:

"A manic joyride into the world of today's new breed of tech worker, JPod updates Microserfs for the age of google.

Ethan Jarlewski and five co-workers are bureaucratically marooned in JPod, a no-escape architectural limbo on the fringes of a massive Vancouver game-design company.

The six workers daily confront the forces that define our era; global piracy, boneheaded marketing staff, people-smuggling,the rise of China, marijuana grow-ops and the ashes of the 1990s financial tech dream.

JPod's universe is amoral and shameless. The characters are products of their era even as they are creating it. Everybody in Ethan's life inhabits a moral grey zone. Nobody is exempt, not even his seemingly strait-laced parents.

Full of word games, visual jokes and sideways jabs, JPod throws a sharp, pointed dart into the hearts of contemporary life."

Journal Entry 2 by wingpinkozcatwing from Claremont, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A very odd book.

I enjoyed it immensely but had to stop for reality checks every so often. I think that the blurb says it all.

It was funny; not laugh out loud funny but I had a smile on my face most of the time I was reading it. Amoral is right but it was all done with such panache that, except for an occasional stray thought to the contrary, it all seemed to be almost normal behavior.

I didn't plough my way through the first 100,000 numbers of pi looking for the errant number but some of the inserts are very geek-related and worth having a closer look at. I loved the idea of embedding a homicidal clown in a hearts and flowers computer game, which is what the six main characters spent most of their time doing.

I marked a lot of favourite lines but taken out of context they are not as funny as they are when left in situ so I'll simply record on of the dialogues which Ronald the homicidal, bloodlusting clown says:

"You shall beg for death but instead shall receive only laughter and choking hazards disguised as plastic toys."

Journal Entry 3 by wingpinkozcatwing from Claremont, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, July 02, 2006

I have sort of offered this book as a bookring - it features in "Unshelved's" cartoon for today.

Participants
Arrietty - received 16-12-06 posted 19-2-07
charliewendy - received 21-2-07<--book is in transit
freelunch

back to pinkozcat

Journal Entry 4 by wingpinkozcatwing from Claremont, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, July 02, 2006

Posted to Jubby today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, July 10, 2006

Look what arrived in the post today, along with an Adelaide Convention bookmark.

Thank you.

Journal Entry 6 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, July 16, 2006

Well, put simply, I really enjoyed this one.

The author himself put in a few appearances,along with a corpse and drug-dealer parents. Rollicking read, and very entertaining.

At this point I should put in a witty, amusing and thoughtful review of the text, but I just can't! I don't want to give too much away about the plot and characters, and secondly, I'm not up to it! I've just a fabulous weekend away and the old brain cells are struggling...

Great format too. I loved the size and novelity of the text.

Thank you very much for sharing this one with me.

Journal Entry 7 by jubby at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, July 16, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (7/16/2006 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Passed onto Stvereca - her first bookring!

Journal Entry 8 by StVereca from Marrickville, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, August 20, 2006

I love Coupland, but I just couldn't make it through jpod. I had a fairly difficult month and couldn't give this book (or any other for that matter!) the concentration it deserved. Waiting on confirmation from goodthinkingmax and will post it off this week.

Journal Entry 9 by goodthinkingmax from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, August 27, 2006

Found this in the letterbox this evening. Not sure why it arrived on the weekend! Looking forward to it after the reviews here and I love the quote in pinkozcat's entry.

Thanks too for the wineglass charm which fell out as I opened the parcel. I later found the Convention bookmark so the wineglass charm then made sense :-)

Journal Entry 10 by goodthinkingmax from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, August 30, 2006

This was wonderful - absurd and well written, each page containing witty and original observations, experiments, dialogue, twists. So much fun. I can't believe I haven't read any Coupland before now. I loved all the diversions in between chapters and the tech. stuff. Ok, who else stared at the prime numbers to see if there was a magic eye image?!

Sending on to puppymummy as soon as I have the details.

Journal Entry 11 by wingpinkozcatwing from Claremont, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, August 31, 2006

Magic eye????? Oooooo!! Is there?

Journal Entry 12 by puppymummy from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, September 07, 2006

Arrived here safely and incredibly well packaged. I am really looking forward to reading it, but there are higher priorities on the tbr list (bookrings with others waiting for me) so I will get to it but it may take a little while. If anyone else signs up for it please let me know to hurry it up a bit!

Journal Entry 13 by puppymummy from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Friday, December 08, 2006

Very much enjoyed this one! The craziness presented as a completely normal story was terrific, and some of the references had me nodding or laughing. I've never read Coupland before, but I think I will be on the lookout for his books from now on.
Will be posted to Arrietty over the weekend.

Journal Entry 14 by Arrietty from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Saturday, December 16, 2006

Received this in mail along with some other books from puppymummy. I thought it was Christmas....and it nearly is! I've read Coupland's "Microserfs" and thought it witty and clever. I only read it this year and Microserfs is a bit dated now, however it still sparkles and makes sense as I work in IT and could relate to the historical aspects. Looking forward to this Jpods. Thanks Pinkozcats. I'll start when I've finished Pink's other bookring 'Kafka on Shore' which I am half way through and really enjoying.

Journal Entry 15 by Arrietty from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sorry Pinkozcat for for taking so long. I'm still only half way through the book. Even though I am enjoying it, it's not revetting enough to stay up reading all night and I have about 6 members of my family staying for a wedding at present. I see I am last on list so hope there is no hurry for the book. I hope it's ok to keep the book a little longer as I do want to finish it.

Journal Entry 16 by Arrietty from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Sunday, February 04, 2007

Finally finished the book! While I enjoyed it overall and got a laugh or two, I think I read it too close to 'Microserf' which is very similar. (5 or 6 young geeks work for Microsoft and then all move to work with another startup company - their ups and downs and musings on life after MS).

Jpod is more up todate in terms of references to Technology and topical subjects, however I found it too similar and also what annoyed me most where the times that Coupland brings himself in as a character. It's a tad self-indulgent. However there were so many witty sayings and funny incidents that I still enjoyed it and looked forward to reading it just to hear what the jpodders were up to today. Everytime someone came to visit and saw the book, they wanted to read it. My team mates at work should read it, there are a few jpodders there!

Here's a quote from the book. Ethan and his team are looking up info on Ronald McDonald for a bit of a lark.
"I've notice that, as we ramp up on our game-building skills and generalized knowledge about Ronald, we're googling every ten minutes. The problem is, after a week of intense googling, we've started to burn out on knowing the answer to everything. God must have felt like that all the time. I think people in the year 2020 are going to be nostalgic for the sensation of feeling clueless."

Thanks Pinkozcat if noone else wants it I'll send it back to you.

Arrietty.

Journal Entry 17 by Arrietty from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Sunday, February 18, 2007

Going to post of charliewendy today along with a Jane Auten Trilogy.

Journal Entry 18 by charliewendy from Yarra Glen, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Thank you Arrietty, Jpod arrived safely this morning along with a bonus surprise book!

Journal Entry 19 by charliewendy from Yarra Glen, Victoria Australia on Saturday, March 03, 2007

I was initially daunted by the size of this book but in fact it is quite a quick read. Despite the fact that all of the characters are devoid of any morals or conscience each of them is quite likeable, even lovable. I warmed to all the characters but possibly my favourite was Kam. He never failed to surprise me at the moral depths he could plumb in a sweet and charming way.
I really enjoyed this, it is quite different to anything else I have read.
Thanks for sharing Pinkozcat!

I have freelunch's addy and it will be off to him tomorrow (monday). I have noticed there is a tradition in this bookring of sending a little surprise on with the book so I am going to honour that tradition. Now lets see, what have I got here that freelunch might enjoy?

Journal Entry 20 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Friday, March 09, 2007

received today, thanks charliewendy and pinkozcat :o)

I've just finished reading Coupland's Eleanor Rigby so (as I'm last in the 'ring) I'm going to wait a couple of weeks before starting this one

Journal Entry 21 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Saturday, March 24, 2007

this is a very silly book.

thanks again for sharing it pinkozcat. I'll send it back this week.

Journal Entry 22 by wingpinkozcatwing from Claremont, Western Australia Australia on Monday, April 09, 2007

Returned safe and sound today. Thanks to all who took part in this ring.

Journal Entry 23 by wingpinkozcatwing at Napoleon Street in Cottesloe, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (5/2/2007 UTC) at Napoleon Street in Cottesloe, Western Australia Australia