corner corner Snow

Snow
by Orhan Pamuk | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Martin1960 of Crawley, West Sussex United Kingdom on Thursday, June 22, 2006

status (set by woodsiegirl): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Martin1960 from Crawley, West Sussex United Kingdom on Thursday, June 22, 2006

We have decided to release this for others to enjoy.

Journal Entry 2 by Martin1960 from Crawley, West Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 30, 2006

This book is on it's way to gaelpixie, we hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 3 by gaelpixie from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 02, 2006

Received with thanks from Martin & Sue. Looking forward to reading this - it goes straight to the top of my 'to be read' queue.

Journal Entry 4 by gaelpixie from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 11, 2006

Dense, intense, a mountain of a book.
Describing 3 snowbound days in a remote Turkish town, this novel examines politics and religion in modern Turkey. Pamuk examines the uneasy relationship that exists between nationalism and Islam, and the conflict between a desire for prosperity & progress and the fear of a creeping Westernisation that threatens to undermine Islam and republicanism. Alongside this Pamuk sets Kurdish nationalism, and never lets the reader forget the legacies of Armenia, and Russian colonialism.

The novel is fascinating in its analysis of Islamic extremism, particularly the examination of women’s place in Islam and in Turkish society. Pamuk doesn’t flinch from allowing his characters, on all sides of the arguments, to express their opinions and their doubts. In the environment of restricted free speech that exists in Turkey, you can but admire his bravery.

I have to admit that reading this book was hard work, partly because the subject matter is so foreign to my liberal Western background, but also due to the intense prose style. But it is a book that merits close attention and is worth persevering with – you really need to read the whole thing to fully appreciate it.

Journal Entry 5 by misterhorse from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Tried really hard for 3 months to get through this, unfortunately it just did not happen for me. You may be able to do it if you have a strong interest in Islam and can concentrate more than someone who's 8 months pregnant. Hopefully someone else will enjoy this.

Journal Entry 6 by loobygraham from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 13, 2006

pickwed up at the Leeds meet. I tried to read My Name is Red by the same author but could not get into it at the time. I'll give this one a go, but I'm feeling doubtful about it.

Journal Entry 7 by AlexInLeeds from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Leftover at the York meet last night so taking along to the next Leeds Meet.

Journal Entry 8 by loobygraham from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 15, 2007

picked up as a left over at the Leeds meet.

Journal Entry 9 by AlexInLeeds from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Acquired at the Leeds bookcrossing meet tonight. :)

Journal Entry 10 by AlexInLeeds at Leeds Meet @ The Lounge in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 30, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/14/2012 UTC) at Leeds Meet @ The Lounge in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Off to find a new reader. :)

Journal Entry 11 by han_cat at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Picked up at the March Leeds Meetup

Journal Entry 12 by han_cat at The White Swan Leeds in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 20, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/23/2012 UTC) at The White Swan Leeds in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Releasing as part of the World Book Night 2012 Celebrations at the White Swan in Leeds

******************************************************************************************************************
Hello, lucky finder of this book, thank you for visiting the website.

Please take a moment to let us know you have the book - then everyone who has had it previously will know where it is! Then post a review when you've read it. It is yours to keep or pass on to someone else. The choice is yours!

If you join BookCrossing, you, too, can see where it goes next...

Journal Entry 13 by woodsiegirl at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 23, 2012

Picked this up at the World Book Night celebrations at the White Swan in Leeds. Looking forward to reading it!