corner corner The Runaway Jury

The Runaway Jury
by John Grisham | Literature & Fiction
Registered by cyber-librarian of Cary, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, June 06, 2006

status (set by cyber-librarian): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by cyber-librarian from Cary, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I received this in the mail today from Lenore in FL ... through PaperBackSwap.com

c. 1996 -- 550 pages -- Paperback -- #1 NY Time Bestseller -- Now a major motion picture released by 20th Century Fox -- 23 weeks on the USA Today top-10 Bestseller list:
#1 on 5/19/96, 5/26, 6/9, 6/16, 6/23, 2/9/97, 2/16 and 2/23
#2 on 6/2/96, 2/2/97, 3/2, 3/16, 3/23 and 3/30
#3 on 6/30/96, 3/9/97 and 4/6
#4 on 7/7/96 and 7/14
#5 on 7/21/96
#7 on 7/28/96
#8 on 4/13/97
#10 on 4/27/97

Back Cover: They are at the center of a multimillion-dollar legal hurricane: 12 men and women who have been investigated, watched, manipulated, and harassed by high-priced lawyers and consultants who will stop at nothing to secure a verdict. Now the jury must make a decision in the most explosive civil trial of the century, a precedent-setting lawsuit against a giant tobacco company. But only a handful of people know the truth: that this jury has a leader, and the verdict belongs to him ...

He is known only as Juror #2. But he has a name, a past, and he has planned his every move with the help of a beautiful woman on the outside. Now, while a corporate empire hangs in the balance, while a grieving family waits, and while lawyers are plunged into a battle for their careers, the truth about Juror #2 is about to explode in a cross fire of greed and corruption -- and with justice fighting for its life ...

Journal Entry 2 by cyber-librarian at Cary, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I finished reading this book today. I didn't like it near as much as I enjoyed other works by Grisham. It seemed to go on and on and on ... I thought about 1/3 of the book could have been omitted as unnecessary. There were a lot of characters (names) to keep straight with everything that was happening. It contained a lot of evidence against cigarette smoking that everyone should take seriously.