corner corner Abhorsen

Abhorsen
by Garth Nix | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by AliceF of Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on 6/8/2006

status (set by nut): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by AliceF from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, June 08, 2006

BOOK RING: This ring is now closed. Members were:

Amazon.co.uk Review:

The third book in Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy is everything it promised to be and everything it could ever have been, coming as it did after Sabriel and Lirael--two of the most riveting fantasy novels in recent years. More a continuation of Lirael than Sabriel, which was set 20 years before it's sequel, Abhorsen nevertheless completes this outstanding sequence of books with considerable style and a consistent quality of prose that is enviable and to be admired.

The book opens in the Abhorsen's house in the Old Kingdom where Lirael, the Abhorsen-in-waiting and Prince Sameth, Sabriel's heir, are contemplating their next manoeuvre. They are surrounded on all sides by the dead, marshalled into action by Chlorr of the Mask--a Greater Dead in league with the necromancer Hedge. He in turn is working towards the resurrection of Orannis, the Destroyer. With no word from Sabriel or King Touchstone, the situation is perilous. The Old Kingdom and its neighbouring Ancelstierre are in political turmoil, unaware of the menace that is about to be unleashed from it's subterranean prison.

With the expert company of the Disreputable Dog and mysterious cat Mogget, both wielders of powerful free magic, Lirael and Sam must escape in order to save all Life from doom. Their subsequent trek across these magical lands is perilous and spectacular… and not without a high cost.

Volumes one and two of this altogether thrilling saga are essential reading before attempting to grapple with Abhorsen. Nix's worlds are complex and rich and his characters many and multi-dimensional. From the unexpectedly devastating prologue, through to the nail-biting dénouement, the author demonstrates just how at home he is in this genre. His imagination is raw and exciting, and his novels don't get much better than this. (Age 10 and over) --John McLay

Journal Entry 2 by perfect-circle from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, July 03, 2006

Passed to me at the Uncon, will read and pass on in the next couple of weeks.

Journal Entry 3 by perfect-circle from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 18, 2006

An excellent end to the trilogy, continuing straight on from where Lirael left off. Disreputable Dog did grow on me but there were still moments where I felt the character jarred with the rest of the story.

Off to KLL once I have an address.

Journal Entry 4 by perfect-circle at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 21, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (7/21/2006 UTC) at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

posted to KLL today, second class

Journal Entry 5 by KLL from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Monday, July 24, 2006

Recieved from perfect-circle this morning. It's going to the top of my reading pile :-)

Journal Entry 6 by KLL from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, August 06, 2006

After quickly getting up to speed by reading 'Sabriel' and Lirael', I finished 'Abhorsen' last night. Really enjoyed it - and was very glad to have it on hand when Lirael ended on such a cliff hanger! I think I probably enjoyed 'Lirael' the most, but 'Abhorsen' was a satisfying end to the trilogy.

Will PM Suedo now and arrange to pass on.

Journal Entry 7 by KLL from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Posted to Suedo this morning!

Journal Entry 8 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, August 17, 2006

Arrived today, but am waiting for Lirael before reading this one.

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Saturday, September 02, 2006

Borrowed from my partner (Suedo). This follows on from Lirael and completes the story. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Having become invested in the characters in Lirael, the pace of the action is cranked up a notch, and as for jeopardy - well, the stakes don't get much higher.

CAUGHT IN SPENNYMOOR CO. DURHAM UK

Journal Entry 10 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Friday, September 08, 2006

this finished the story nicely.
I liked that it was not too easy for either the good guys or the bad.
I liked the way the magic system works, but thought some of the history was a bit too sketchy.

A great read, will be moving on in the next few days.

Journal Entry 11 by Cyzaki from Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Help! I've not finished Lirael yet! I'm looking forward to finishing the trilogy though.

Journal Entry 12 by Cyzaki from Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, September 23, 2006

An enjoyable end to the trilogy - I definitely preferred this one to Lirael. I'd sort of guessed the truth about Mogget and the Disreputable Dog, but it didn't spoil it at all.

I'd quite like to know what happens next - I do so want Lirael and Nick to get together!

Will pass this on once I have CaterinaAnna's address.

Journal Entry 13 by Cyzaki from Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, September 25, 2006

Posted today :-)

Journal Entry 14 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, September 30, 2006

Arrived on Thursday.
Thanks czyaki (fingers too cold to type more!)

Journal Entry 15 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, October 06, 2006

I say what they said - thoroughly good ending and, if you're date watching, you can see I have finished it rather quickly for term time whcih inly confirms it.

It was only last night that I realised that a small part of the army being the overlap between the threatened throngs in blissful ignorance of their probable fate and the people with peculiar power reminded me of John Pertwee era Dr Who! Maybe it was the talk of Lalla Ward being Mrs Richard Dawkins at the Birmingham Literary Festival Quiz the other night that brought it to mind, or maybe it's just my age ...

Let's see what the remaining readers on this ring think, shall we?

Does that show my age or what?

Journal Entry 16 by Caterinaanna at as part of a ring in to another BookCrosser, by hand -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 09, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (10/9/2006 UTC) at as part of a ring in to another BookCrosser, by hand -- Controlled Releases

to candy-is-dandy via mrsdanvers

Journal Entry 17 by MrsDanvers from Aldeburgh, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 24, 2006

This is in limbo at the moment until I can meet-up with candy-is-dandy. Unfortunately, attempts via the Ipswich meet-up failed.

Journal Entry 18 by wingcandy-is-dandywing from Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 07, 2006

These books were on their own quest trying to find me and involving innocent bookcrossers on the way. So thanks to CaterinaAnna and Mrs Danvers for finally catching up with me and thanks to AliceF for sharing them.

Journal Entry 19 by AliceF from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, March 17, 2007

Sent candy-is-dandy a little nudge to get the ring moving again...

Journal Entry 20 by AliceF from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, April 16, 2007

Received a message recently from candy-is-dandy so say that she's now reading Lirael, so I'm sure she'll be on to Abhorsen soon...

Journal Entry 21 by wingcandy-is-dandywing from Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, April 23, 2007

This was really Lirael, Part II. A shorter book and again a good one. An easy read. Are there any more - I want to know what happens next?

I have now finished Lirael and Abhorsen and will be sending them on to dark-draco shortly. I will get my son to add his comments too as he read these books while they were watiing for me.

Thanks very much for sharing AliceF.

Journal Entry 22 by dark-draco from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 04, 2007

Received today - i have a couple other bookrings to read first and then I'll get on to these.

Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 23 by dark-draco from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 01, 2007

Wow! This really does start off with a shocker! The first bit had me gasping out loud, and as I was reading this at work during a break, my colleagues now think I'm mad!

Anyway, I loved this just as much as the first two boks. The only thing that let it down was just how quickly the ending came - I mean, being such a short book, I think a couple more chapters to stretch out the tension would have been great. They arrive at the mill and ... happy ever after! For all the story lines to come together so suddenly was just a bit annoying!

However, I too would love to read more set in this world and am a bit sad to leave it. But I'll be passing these on in the next few days.

Thanks again for letting us read these.

Journal Entry 24 by dark-draco at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, July 14, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (7/13/2007 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Sent on the next stage of the bookray

Journal Entry 25 by AliceF from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, December 02, 2007

tehuti has this book and will read it and pass it on when life settles down.

Journal Entry 26 by tehuti from Treorci, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, February 02, 2008

Super book. I loved the Anubian qualities of the dog, and the cat was, well, as mysterious as a true cat should be.

Messaging the next person on the list for this and Lirael, hope to send out soon, apologies for delay caused by personal difficulties.

Journal Entry 27 by tehuti from Treorci, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, February 22, 2008

Sent to KiwiinEngland today with many apologies for delay.

Journal Entry 28 by kiwiinengland from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, February 25, 2008

Arrived today. Three books on my TBR ahead of it then I shall leap in. Can't wait

Journal Entry 29 by kiwiinengland from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, March 08, 2008

I leapt right into this book, which meant that the repetition of background story was annoying in the first chapter...but I really enjoy the world Nix has created. Especially the charter marks and how Sameth was described when he used them...the imagery worked really well for me.

I'm assuming there will be a fourth book featuring Nick, which I will keep an eye out for.

A most enjoyable read. Yes, the ending was too quickly rounded off and I would have liked a bit more of Sabriel. Sabriel's hubby seemed really underdeveloped. But none of that matters in the end. It was greatly entertaining.

Journal Entry 30 by kiwiinengland from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Passed to Nifferdoodle on 10 March 2008

Journal Entry 31 by nifferdoodle from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, March 16, 2009

Highly enjoyable third novel. Will post them on without (further) delay!

Journal Entry 32 by nut from Kilkenny City, Co. Kilkenny Ireland on Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I was loaned Sabriel a couple of years ago, and enjoyed it, so hopefully the same will go for this :-)

Journal Entry 33 by nut from Kilkenny City, Co. Kilkenny Ireland on Monday, June 29, 2009

I was very glad to have this immediately to hand after the sudden ending of Lirael. The two are effectively one larger book. Like Kiwiinengland, I found the repetitive explanations at the beginning annoying, but enjoyed it once they stopped. And like dark-draco, I found the beginning shocking. I wished I'd put the book in the freezer instead of reading it :-)

It's not as satisfying a read as Lirael, but once you've read Lirael, you have to go on to read Abhorsen.

Not sure about releasing - it might be best to do a controlled release to keep the two books together.

Journal Entry 34 by nut at The Long Stone Pub (OBCZ) in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (8/18/2009 UTC) at The Long Stone Pub (OBCZ) in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Left at the bookcrossing Ireland meeting. It's on the shelf near the snug.