corner corner Lirael

Lirael
by Garth Nix | Children's Books
Registered by AliceF of Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, June 29, 2006

status (set by Cocytus): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by AliceF from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, June 29, 2006

BOOK RING: This ring is now closed. Members were:

Amazon.co.uk Review:

Middle books in fantasy trilogies are sometimes disappointing, but Garth Nix has created in Lirael a fine successor to Sabriel that both complements its precursor and sets up a mouth-watering dénouement for the final instalment in Abhorsen. Nix continues by setting this new story in the neighbouring worlds of Ancelstierre (no magic) and The Old Kingdom (lots of magic) but introduces several new and substantial characters that are as strong and fascinating as those in the first book.

In the Old Kingdom, while the Abhorsen Sabriel is off fighting the undead, who are waking in worryingly ever-increasing numbers, Lirael is alone in the glacial mountain kingdom of the Clayr dreaming of when she will receive the gift of "the sight"--which all true daughters of Clayr possess. She fills the long wait with years of self-taught charter magic and investigations into what lies in the depths of the Clayr library--a truly vast and ancient place.

In Ancelstierre, Prince Sameth, son of Sabriel and designated Abhorsen-in-waiting, is battling with his own inner demons. His own familiarity with charter magic is limited and it even sometimes scares him. This weight of expectation is crystallised when he is attacked by an evil necromancer intent on killing him. Sameth barely escapes with his life.

In these times of increased undead activity, Sabriel suspects a greater force at work. Sameth must return to the Old Kingdom and learn fast to help counter this enormous threat while Lirael too must play her part. She is a girl with an important destiny and is sent out towards the area of darkness and mystery that holds the key to what has been happening. Nix's imagination continues to impress all and his Sabriel trilogy is so far proving to be the award-winning spectacle that it has promised to be. The book is recommended for ages 10 and above. --John McLay

Synopsis

When the future is unclear, who holds the key to destiny? Sequel to the spellbinding, award-winning fantasy adventure, SABRIEL. Lirael has never felt like a true daughter of the Clayr. Abandoned by her mother and ignorant of her father's identity, Lirael resembles no one else in her large, extended family living in the Clayr's Glacier. She doesn't even have the Sight -- the ability to See into the present and possible futures -- that is the very birthright of the Clayr. Nonetheless, it is Lirael in whose hands the fate of the Old Kingdom lies. she must undertake a desperate mission under the growing shadow of an ancient evil -- one that opposes the Royal Family, blocks the Sight of the Clayr, and threatens to break the very boundary between Life and Death itself. With only her faithful companion, the Disreputable Dog, to help her, Lirael must find the courage to seek her own hidden destiny. Garth Nix draws readers deeper into the magical landscape of the Old Kingdom and weaves a spellbinding tale of discovery, destiny and danger.

Journal Entry 2 by perfect-circle from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, July 03, 2006

Passed to me at the Uncon. Will read and pass on in the next couple of weeks.

Journal Entry 3 by perfect-circle from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Sunday, July 16, 2006

Whilst not as good as Sabriel, I did enjoy this continuation of the trilogy once I got into it. I felt it was a little slow to start with and is much longer than I remember Sabriel being. The Disreputable Dog character grated on me, for some reason, I much prefer Mogget (maybe I'm more of a cat person than I realise!)

Thanks AliceF, this is off to Rebus5 as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 4 by perfect-circle at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 21, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (7/21/2006 UTC) at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Posted to Rebus5 today, second class.

Journal Entry 5 by Rebus5 from Canterbury, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, August 19, 2006

Excellent book, should have journalled it sooner but its ready to go on now. Follows on nicely from Sabriel and sets up the next book well also. Thouroughly enjoyed it!!

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Thursday, August 31, 2006

I borrowed this book from my partner (Suedo). I enjoyed this one. Lirael is a very sympathetic character, and I found myself wanting to know more about her within the first couple of chapters. The story unfolds well, with reasonably smooth narrative and a credible supporting cast (although Sameth was a bit annoying for a while).

The ending was disappointing, as the book is not a self-contained story. It seems to be the first half of a longer story (continued in Abhorsen, by the same author). So, that's a black mark for the publisher (for publishing a book in two halves but pretending they are separate books).

CAUGHT IN SPENNYMOOR CO. DURHAM UK

Journal Entry 7 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Saturday, September 02, 2006

I started this yesterday, and yes it has gripped me. Will say more when I finish it.

Journal Entry 8 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Sunday, September 03, 2006

I also found this to be half a story. There is a lot of build up to things that I hope will happen in the next book.
Having said that I did like the main character, even though she is desperately unhappy at the start of the book. Sam however, I found very annoying, and if I met him, I'd probably have given him a swift kick up the behind. The dog and cat were fun characters, and I have guessed a lot about their background, which I hope will be confirmed in book 3.
Will be posted on this week

Journal Entry 9 by Cyzaki from Enfield, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, September 10, 2006

Help! I've got three bookrings with me right now! I'll get through them as fast as I can though :-)

Journal Entry 10 by Cyzaki from Enfield, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 19, 2006

There's been a slight incident with the water in the night-time, but rest assured, the book is still perfectly readable, if a weenie bit crinkled. Apologies to all those in the ring after me!

Journal Entry 11 by Cyzaki from Enfield, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, September 21, 2006

I enjoyed this book, although I did find it a bit slow going and I think it's longer than it needs to be. I also got a bit confused between the two storylines - by the time I'd finished reading about Sam I'd forgotten what Lirael was up to. I was a bit disappointed in the fact that the story didn't reach any conclusion - you *have* to read Abhorsen to find out how the story ends.

PMing CaterinaAnna for her address.

Journal Entry 12 by Cyzaki from Enfield, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, September 25, 2006

Posted today :-)

Journal Entry 13 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, September 30, 2006

Arrived on Thursday.
Thanks cyzaki.

Journal Entry 14 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, October 06, 2006

Enjoyed this more than Sabriel, maybe because the background needed less explanation? However I was glad to be able to pick up Abhorsen straight away, as I agreed with what suedo's other half and others had to say about it not being at all self-contained. It will therefore go from me to candy-is-dandy as part of a pair.

Journal Entry 15 by Caterinaanna at as part of a ring in to another BookCrosser, by hand -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 09, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (10/7/2006 UTC) at as part of a ring in to another BookCrosser, by hand -- Controlled Releases

To candy-is-dandy via mrsdanvers

Journal Entry 16 by MrsDanvers from Aldeburgh, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 24, 2006

This is in limbo at the moment until I can meet-up with candy-is-dandy. Unfortunately, attempts via the Ipswich meet-up failed.

Journal Entry 17 by wingcandy-is-dandywing from Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Got them at last - no one's fault but mine own! Best laid plans etc using bookcrosser mail rather than royal mail but I was never at the places I was expected to be so this and Abhorsen have been around a bit but finally caught up with me tonight at the Cambridge meet thanks to CaterinaAnna and Mrs Danvers.

Journal Entry 18 by AliceF from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, March 17, 2007

Sent candy-is-dandy a little nudge to get the ring moving again...

Journal Entry 19 by AliceF from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, April 16, 2007

Received a message from candy-is-dandy recently that she's now reading this...

Journal Entry 20 by wingcandy-is-dandywing from Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, April 23, 2007

I really enjoyed this one and liked the new characters. In fact I even liked the fact that Sameth wasn't a complete hero like everyone else and would have preferred the quiet life.

Went straight on to Abhorsen as it's impossible to stop at the end of this one. It really is one story in 2 books - it felt like watching Dr Who and then being told that the story continues next week - groan!

I have now finished Lirael and Abhorsen and will be sending them on to dark-draco shortly. I will get my son to add his comments too as he read these books while they were watiing for me.

Thanks very much for sharing AliceF.

Journal Entry 21 by dark-draco from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 04, 2007

Received today - i have a couple other bookrings to read first and then I'll get on to these.

Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 22 by dark-draco from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 28, 2007

I was a bit disappointed when I first started this and realsied that it wasn't a straight continuation of Sabriel - I would have liked to read about how she coped first becoming the Abhorsen and Touchstone the King. However, I soon became engrossed in Lireals story.

I loved the Dog character, partly I think because the little silhouette on the front cover looks so much like my own dog. Mogget is just as cool though, if a bit scary.

What I love about these books is how real the setting seems, even though there's magic and zombies and stuff!! I think I would much prefer to be an inhabitant of the Old Kingdom though - much more fun.

Thanks for sharing - have already started the next one in the series so should be able to post them off soon.

Journal Entry 23 by dark-draco at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, July 14, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (7/13/2007 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Sent on the next stage of the bookring

Journal Entry 24 by AliceF from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, December 02, 2007

tehuti has now read most of this book and will pass it on when life settles down.

Journal Entry 25 by wingtehutiwing from Treorci, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, February 02, 2008

Lovely book! While it needs the following book to complete the story, the preceding one is not necessary. This is a charming story of a young woman seeking her destiny.

Journal Entry 26 by wingtehutiwing from Treorci, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, February 22, 2008

Sent to KiwiinEngland today with many apologies for delay.

Journal Entry 27 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, February 25, 2008

Arrived today. Thanks for sending it on

Journal Entry 28 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, March 04, 2008

I enjoyed this book and look forward to quickly following on with the second half of the story contained in Abhorsen. I did feel for Lirael and her pain at being different, especially when she was younger. However as a 19 year old I thought she might have grown out of the self pity a little.

My favourite quote from the dispreputable dog when Lirael is again bemoaning her lack of Seeing.

"You've seen the hunting dogs, how every now and then one will be born with floppy ears or have a brown back instead of gold. They're still part of the pack. You're just a floppy-ear"

hmmm... I don't know if being called a floppy ear is very comforting! :)

Will pass on to Nifferdoodle tomorrow.

Journal Entry 29 by nifferdoodle from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, March 06, 2008

Given to me by a friend. I enjoyed the first one and am looking forward to this one.

Journal Entry 30 by nifferdoodle from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, March 16, 2009

Loved it as well. I have rather enjoyed the parallel universe and am going to miss it.

Journal Entry 31 by nut from Kilkenny City, Co. Kilkenny Ireland on Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I was loaned Sabriel a couple of years ago, and enjoyed it, so hopefully the same will go for this :-)

Journal Entry 32 by nut from Kilkenny City, Co. Kilkenny Ireland on Monday, June 29, 2009

I really like the magic system. Spells are based on symbols, gestures, bells and whistling, in a satisfying way.

This is the second book in a trilogy. I have read the first, which stands alone, but I don't think you need to to read this. You certainly don't need to have read Sabriel recently. Books 2 & 3 (Abhorsen) do need to be read together though.

Journal Entry 33 by nut at The Long Stone Pub (OBCZ) in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (8/18/2009 UTC) at The Long Stone Pub (OBCZ) in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Left at the bookcrossing Ireland meeting. Was on the shelf by the snug at the end of the night.

Journal Entry 34 by Cocytus on Monday, January 25, 2010

Grabbed it at a meeting at the Long Stone a while back, just getting around to logging it now. Reckon I'll read it and either leave it at a train station/airport, or see if they've another meeting on soon!