corner corner WOMEN WHO LOVE BOOKS TOO MUCH (Hardcover) (Book Ring/RABCK Chain #1)

Journal Entry 1 by Dove-i-libri from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 30, 2006

See reviewers' descriptions: Women Who Love Books Too Much (Link)

From the back cover:
"Does your book collection threaten to overtake your home? Do you wait in line in the middle of the night, eager for a new book release? If so, then you might be interested to know:

*The first female professional writer was Aphra Behn, who wrote in England from 1670-1688.

*An American bookseller in Paris, Sylvia Beach, published Joyce's Ulysses when no one else would accept it.

*J.K. Rowling wrote the first novel in her Harry Potter series when she was an unemployed, single mother living on welfare!

These, and a myriad of other fascinating facts are presented in Women Who Love Books Too Much, a collection of biographies of literary women throughout history ..."

By the way, doesn't the title sound like so many of us book crossers????

Place Your Pin On Our GUEST MAP!

If found, please return to:

The Dove-i-Libri BookCrossing Family

Click this link to send a message

Journal Entry 2 by Dove-i-libri from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 30, 2006

OK ... Starting this as a Book Ring/RABCK Chain!

Each person will read Women Who Love Books Too Much and send it to the next person ALONG WITH a book written by one of the authors mentioned in the book! Don't forget to journal when you receive it, and when you send it off!

I'm so excited! This sounds like fun! I hope it makes its way back to me!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Participants Book #1
MaryZee Maryland, USA (Shipping Pref: US/Canada)
Janey-Canuck Canada (Ship Pref: Canada)
Jessibud Canada (Shipping Pref: USA/Canada)
Cinnamon-Girl NC (Shipping Pref: USA)
Wistroll USA (Shipping Pref: USA)
Etherea Arkansas (Shipping Pref: None)
Suedo UK (Shipping Pref: None)
Bibliocrates Alabama (Shipping Pref: USA)
MaceWoman NC (Shipping Pref: USA)
GrannyAnn NYS (Shipping Pref: USA)
MandaJo MN (Shipping Pref: USA)Asked to be skipped
azuki FLA (Shipping Pref:USA)
KatiesMama Cape Coral, Fla (Shipping Pref: USA) Already read the book, asked to be skipped!
BooknHand CA (Shipping Pref: USA, Internat'l if necessary) Dear BooknHand: Originally, I had arranged a US shipping address after you, but when the other ring went missing, I had to add the participants here and you were the only one who was at least partially willing to send overseas. PLEASE let me know if it costs too much. What I *CAN* do is send you some American stamps, so you can use cash money to pay for this overseas postage, and then use the stamps I send for something else within the US. Let me know if that is agreeable to you. Edited to add: Thank you so much for shipping overseas!

If the other ring shows up found, this part of the list will go back on the other book ring, otherwise just continue ...

Rivercassini London, UK (Shipping Pref: Anywhere!)
CatsAlive Australia (Shipping Pref: Australia, Overseas *IF NECESSARY*)
Freesia Australia (Shipping Pref: None) No Response
(It was here last ...) FrogGirlWendy Australia (Shipping Pref: None)
DutchBooky Netherlands (Shipping Pref: Anywhere!)
Thursday5 Ohio (Shipping Pref: USA)
Mepwave NJ (Shipping Pref: USA)
nynjagrrrl Wisconsin (Shipping Pref: USA)
PaulsBooks USA (Shipping Pref: USA)
mssaver USA (Shipping Pref USA)

... Then Back Home to this "Woman Who Loves Books Too Much" ... Dove i Libri in Florida!

* * * Please note * * * Above Member names are clickable links to their profiles so that you can PM for their address.

Journal Entry 3 by Dove-i-libri at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, RABCK, Meet-up in Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, June 05, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (6/3/2006 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, RABCK, Meet-up in Fort Myers, Florida USA

All ready to send to fellow book crosser MaryZee in Maryland to start this book ring/RABCK chain! Sending with the book Frankenstein (link) by A Woman Who Loved Books Too Much, bibliophile Mary Shelley (Photo, left.)

Added June 3, 2006: Sent today via media mail!
Delivery Confirmation: 0305 0830 0002 5732 0963

Place Your Pin On Our GUEST MAP!

Journal Entry 4 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Monday, June 12, 2006

Happy to see this book arrive safely today. I've already leafed thru it a bit, to see some examples of which authors are included. Starting to ponder what I'll be sending along to the next person.

This will be started before the weekend. I'm nearly finished with another bookring, and this is next in line.

Journal Entry 5 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Monday, June 19, 2006

Just finished this book. Enjoyed it very much, although I did wish there were a few more women included from modern times rather than some of the more obscure authors included from olden days. And Barnes and Noble needs to do more than use spell-checker for editing if they're going to publish books (I don't read "serious of books," rather series...)

But DoveiLibri, thank you so much for sharing this. It really was a lovely little book. I have Janey-Canuck's address, so this will be going out in a few days as soon as I finish the RABCK I'll be including. I'm going to send along Maya Angelou's I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. I've never read anything by her before, although I have much respect for her, so I decided to take this opportunity to do so.

Mailing out to Janey-Canuck on Wednesday, 6/21. Oh, and I happened to have a bookmark that's perfect for this book, so I tucked it inside hoping it will keep this book company for a while.

Journal Entry 6 by janey-canuck from Guelph, Ontario Canada on Friday, June 30, 2006

Received today - will get on reading ASAP - one ring ahead of it.

Journal Entry 7 by janey-canuck from Guelph, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I really enjoyed this - it was such an interesting read, it was next to impossible to put down. My one complaint - it was very US-centric. I realize it was by an American author, but she ignored HUGE parts of the world. It was interesting to read about some of the more obscure authors that I probably would have never heard of otherwise, but this isn't something I'll be rushing out to pick up and add to my PC.

Thanks for sharing, DoveiLibri. I've got the next address ready to go, so I'll be mailing this tomorrow.

Journal Entry 8 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, July 17, 2006

Arrived safe and sound today. I am in the middle of 2 bookring books at the moment. I'll be away for the weekend, though, so I expect to be able to finish those 2 up while travelling. I should be able to dive in by early next week.

I'm really looking forward to this one. Thanks!

Journal Entry 9 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, July 31, 2006

Ok, that's IT! If I don't stop reading about more books and authors that I want/need to read, I will NEVER catch up! NEVER! Actually, it is probably already way too late. I know I have far more books than time left to read them. Sigh...

So why do I do this to myself? This book is just such a tease.

Admittedly, there were several authors mentioned that I'd never heard of and I'll admit to skimming over a few. But only a very few. There were also authors mentioned that I personally didn't care for and wouldn't have included, if it were up to me (Danielle Steel, Rebecca Wells) and others I wished had been included but weren't. But that's the nature of such a subjective list in a book like this, isn't it? And of course, it just begs another volume, doesn't it?

For my rabck contribution to this bookring, I am adding 2 books by Kate Chopin. I read them years and years ago and was pleased to see her included in this volume. If there is room in the package, I may also put it the Maya Angelou book rabck'd to me since I have already read it. But if not, I will just release it.

Thanks so much for including me in this bookring. It was great fun.

Journal Entry 10 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 03, 2006

Mailed today to Cinnamon-Girl.

Thanks again for including me in this bookring, DoveiLibri

Journal Entry 11 by Cinnamon-Girl from Sharpsburg, Georgia USA on Saturday, August 12, 2006

Arrived today along with not one, but two RABCK books! Both are by Kate Chopin, and while I already have copies of The Awakening, I've never read it and love the cover art on this edition, and then A Vacation and a Voice, which sounds like a very interesting collection of stories. Also a lovely notecard featuring the print of the two cats which is on my bookshelf profile - thank you!

I don't have any other bookring books at the moment, and have been looking forward to this one, so I'll get started on it right away. Thanks to jessibud for sending on and for the two additional books, and thanks to DoveiLibri for including me in the ring!

Journal Entry 12 by Cinnamon-Girl from Sharpsburg, Georgia USA on Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I finished this book last night, and overall, I quite enjoyed it. I also had issues with the editing and inclusion/exclusion of certain writers, but it was generally a good introduction to various women and I'm now intrigued enough to further research several of them. You can read more of my comments here.

I'll mail this out to Wistroll tomorrow, and will include The Portable Dorothy Parker and Edith Wharton's The House of Mirth.

Thanks again for including me in the ring!

Journal Entry 13 by Wistroll from Centuria, Wisconsin USA on Monday, August 21, 2006

Arrived safely today along with 2 RABCK books. I have skimmed through it a bit and am hoping I have a book or two to include within its pages to also send along. What a great idea!
Not so sure I will enjoy adding more books to my wishlist, I`m sure I will!
What the heck, who doesn`t want to add books to their home library?!

Journal Entry 14 by Wistroll from Centuria, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, September 12, 2006

What a gem of a book. So much information on so many in such a small volume. I also would have liked to see some authors omitted and others added. Quite a few I had never heard of.

Will send this out in a couple days to Ethera along with the Handmaid`s Tale by Atwood as my contributing RABCK.

Thanks so much DoveiLibri for including me and I apologize for having this so long, life got very busy and I had little time to read.

Journal Entry 15 by Wistroll at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Milltown, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, September 28, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (9/28/2006 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Milltown, Wisconsin USA

Released to continue journey.

Journal Entry 16 by wingethereawing from Little Rock, Arkansas USA on Wednesday, October 11, 2006

It's here! This book has arrived at the perfect time as I am just finishing up another bookring book. Wistroll also included a copy of Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale.
I have a feeling this book is going to make my wishlist longer:)
edited on 10/31/06 to add that I've PM'ed Suedo for an address. I'll make a new journal entry before I send it on.

Journal Entry 17 by wingethereawing from Little Rock, Arkansas USA on Saturday, November 11, 2006

Thanks to Doveilibri for sharing with another booklover or two:) I definitely qualify as a woman who loves books too much (and has too many all over the house)! This little book was very interesting and didn't cause me to add too many books to my wishlist:)
I thought long and hard about what to send to Suedo as the "extra" book. I finally chose an author that is not in the book--but I would recommend her for the sure to be published sequel.
Sharyn McCrumb is a great author and I just happened to have a book of hers that was on suedo's wish list. So Zombies of the Gene Pool is on its way to Great Britain via Global Priority Mail. Both books were mailed yesterday and should be there in 4-6 days. Hope they travel safely!

Journal Entry 18 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 14, 2006

This and its companion arrives safe and sound today. The wishlist book was a great surprise, but I will read the ring book first.

Journal Entry 19 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 22, 2006

This was great although whoever pointed out it was a bit USA-centric was correct.
Thanks for allowing me to share this lovely book. I'll be posting it on at the weekend once I've picked the book to go with it.

Journal Entry 20 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, November 23, 2006

Packing it up tonight along with 'the thorn birds' and a few surprises.

Journal Entry 21 by Bibliocrates from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Thursday, November 30, 2006

This book arrived today, along with a few surprises indeed! Thanks for shipping my way suedo! I will get to it soon. I'm busy with final exams at the present time.

I've never read The Thorn Birds before so I think that book will be staying here for a while. I will have to see what I have that I can pass along. Oh yes, and thank you for sending the extra book from my wishlist suedo. You rock!

Journal Entry 22 by Bibliocrates from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Thursday, December 28, 2006

I'm almost through with this book and I have picked out the book that I will include.

I will be including Emma by Jane Austen.

I should have both books on their way to MaceWoman by the end of the week.

Journal Entry 23 by Bibliocrates from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Friday, January 05, 2007

THE 2007 KEEP THEM MOVING CHALLENGE

I enjoyed this book.

When I started reading this book I realized by page 7 that I would need to take notes, adding to my forever expanding wishlist of books I would like to read some day, but by the end of the first chapter I gave up! My solution, I photo-copied the index for future reference. There are many authors mentioned in this book that I have never heard of and many I have heard of, but whose work I've never read. I must remedy that!

I disagree that this book is US-centric. Many authors from different parts of the world are mentioned in this book, but I won't argue that many parts of the world are left out. This is a good book overall and I would recommend it to anyone looking to add new authors to their libraries. I especially enjoyed the chapters entitled Ink in Their Veins, and Banned, Blacklisted, and Arrested, very interesting.

Thank you for sharing this book DoveiLibri. I think your having us all include a RABCK by an author mentioned in this book is a great idea!

This book is now on its way to MaceWoman to continue the ring. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 24 by macewoman from Winston Salem, North Carolina USA on Saturday, February 17, 2007

Arrived safe and sound on my doorstep today along with a few other books. I finished a ring book last night so I'm going to be able to start this right away.
Already glanced through and I'm starting to think about books I can include.
Thanks to Bibliocrates for the copy of Jane Austen's Emma, which I haven't read.

Journal Entry 25 by macewoman from Winston Salem, North Carolina USA on Monday, March 19, 2007

Unlike a previous reader, this was a book I found hard to read non-stop. There was so much interesting information about each of the authors that I had to take more time than usual while reading it.
Like previous readers, the bad editing was annoying and distracting.
I enjoyed the quotes at the end of each author section. I especially liked the one from Emily Bronte:

I'll walk where my own nature would be leading:
It vexes me to choose another guide.

I'm including The Good Earth and Sula to GrannyAnn. Enjoy!

I have the next address, so it's off in the next day or so. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 26 by GrannyAnn from West Henrietta, New York USA on Thursday, March 22, 2007

Received in the mail today, along with 2 RABCKs!! I can't wait to get into this small book and I'm already thinking of what to send to the next participant.

Journal Entry 27 by GrannyAnn from West Henrietta, New York USA on Monday, March 26, 2007

I enjoyed this little volume very much. There were many authors that I never had heard of and, of course, many old friends. It seemed like there was an interesting tid-bit for every one of them.

I'm sending as my RABCK to azuki: The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood and 2 Agatha Christie mysteries Murder on the Orient Express (Poirot) and 12 Clues For Miss Marple.

Thanks to DoveiLibri for hosting this. I enjoyed the concept very much!

Journal Entry 28 by wingazukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Monday, April 02, 2007

Just came back from an out of town trip and my husband informed me of the box of books waiting for me. I was like... box??
Thanks GrannyAnn for the book along with three RABCKs. Interestingly, The Robber Bride was the book I planned to include for this ring, so now I have to think about what to include.
This book is a lovely idea, thanks DoveiLibri!

PS Agatha Christie's book is 13 Clues for Miss Marple. Guess one got lost in the mail? : )

Journal Entry 29 by wingazukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, May 26, 2007

Sorry for keeping the book longer than I should.
It's an interesting read, though I agree that it's a little too US-centric. I would prefer it to include fewer names but go in more details with each life, so I can feel each woman as a fellow booklover rather than just one in a long list of names which towards the end sort of blurred together.
KatiesMama has her own copy already and I am waiting to hear from BooknHand.

ETA: 5/29/07 - I am sending this out today along w Danielle Steel's Summer's End and Margaret Atwood's The Robber Bride.

Journal Entry 30 by booknhand from San Jose, California USA on Sunday, June 10, 2007

This ring (along with 2 included books) came in the mail sometime this past week - picked it up from the lock box today as I was out of town last week.

I am in the process of reading another book at the moment, so this one will have to be TBR for a week or so - since it is a bookring, I will read it next and pass it on with at least one book by an author mentioned in it as is part of the bookring game for this particular book.

Thanks for sharing and letting me join - I will journal again once I finish it.

Journal Entry 31 by booknhand at Controlled Release - Bookring in San Jose, California USA on Sunday, September 02, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (9/1/2007 UTC) at Controlled Release - Bookring in San Jose, California USA

I couldn't finish this book - too historical for me. To keep with the include a RABCK part of this bookring, I sent it along with one of the RABCK's that came with it when I recieved it.

Thanks for sharing, even though it didn't capture my attention at this time.

Journal Entry 32 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, September 20, 2007

On the train on the way into the office this morning, I was worrying that I might finish my book before the end of the day and have nothing to read on the train on the way home. And then, when I got to the office, this book had arrived. Yippee! No need to panic about running out of good reading material, and no need to risk irritating hubby by popping into a bookshop on the way home to buy *another* book when I already have plenty at home waiting to be read.

I suspect the book had been on my desk waiting for me for a few days. I've just had a week off, and the package with the book in it was right at the bottom on the pile of mail that had built up. Having leave was great but I'm sorry if the tardy journal entry meant that others were worrying that the book had not made it across the pond.

Arrived with a copy of "Summer's End".

Journal Entry 33 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, September 29, 2007

I enjoyed browsing this little book - full of interesting snippets and pen portraits. I was on occasion frustrated that some of the entries were so short, just begging me to get up of the sofa and look up more details of some of these fascinating and often bold women. If there was one more, small, thing that I found irritating, it was the Anglo-centric coverage of women writers and book-lovers (and by that I mean "English-speaking" rather than living in England).

A lovely way to spend a lazy Sunday. I recommend making a nice cup of tea and finding a little bit of chocolate and then just lolling back with this one.

Have PM'd the next person for their address but will be away for a while myself so it won't be in the post immediately. Will journal again when I've posted the book.

Journal Entry 34 by Rivercassini at Royal Mail in By Post, a postal release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 12, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (10/12/2007 UTC) at Royal Mail in By Post, a postal release -- Controlled Releases

Sending this one on to Catsalive together with a copy of Good Wives by Lousia M Alcott (one of the authoresses mentioned in the book).

Journal Entry 35 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, February 07, 2008

OK, you'll all be happy to know that this book arrived today. I know DoveiLibri will be extremely pleased.

Journal Entry 36 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Monday, February 11, 2008

Bring back the proof-reader & the editor! Spell- & grammar-checker are not enough. I'm still wondering what those scholars were pouring over Dorothy's journals (see p.60).

Page 73 almost had me gnashing my teeth. Apparently Catherine of Siena was the daughter of a man who miraculously had 25 children without a wife. Oh no! Hang on. Just one google and there she is. Her mother, the poor woman who actually bore those 25 babies, was Lapa Piagenti, daughter of a local poet. Astonishing!!!!! Both for the fact that she had them & the fact she didn't rate a mention. A book about women, for women, & all we get is Jacopo. I was, & still am, quite disgusted by that glaring oversight. I'll calm down in a sec.

I agree with many of the comments above. It was very US-centric, the editing was non-existent, there wasn't enough detail about the authors & there weren't enough modern writers. It was still an interesting book to read. The challenged, burned or banned books in the USA is a constant source of surprise to me - 'My Friend Flicka'?, 'Little House in the Big Woods'? Amazing.

Thanks for including me DoveiLibri. I've PMd freesia & await her response. I'll be including Katherine Mansfield's Bliss & Other Stories which I am reading now.

Journal Entry 37 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, February 16, 2008

I've sent a couple of pm's but had no response from freesia. Checking her shelf shows she's been inactive for a couple of months, so I've pm'd froggirlwendy.

Journal Entry 38 by Dove-i-libri from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Saturday, February 16, 2008

Catsalive wrote: "... Bring back the proof-reader & the editor! Spell- & grammar-checker are not enough. I'm still wondering what those scholars were pouring over Dorothty's journals (see p.60) ..."

Love it! Hope it wasn't syrup, that would have been a mess!

Journal Entry 39 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Posted to froggirlwendy today.

Journal Entry 40 by froggirlwendy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, February 24, 2008

Arrived safely today - along with 'Bliss & Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield'. Thanks cats :o) I am moving house at the end of this week so don't panic if I take a little longer than planned - I will pack it somewhere safe & locateable (is that even a word??) :o)

Journal Entry 41 by Dove-i-libri from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Sunday, September 07, 2008

The last journal entry was by FrogGirlWendy in Australia. That was in February, which means she was in the middle of moving house. I have PMed her today & hopefully the book will show up in a moving box or something! That would be GREAT!

Oct 7, 2008: Hooray! This has been found! It will be on its way again shortly! Wonderful!

Journal Entry 42 by Dove-i-libri at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Wednesday, April 03, 2013

June 1, 2009: Oh, well, so much for that. On its way to a vacation on the sandy shores of Lost Book Island.

If found, please return to: