corner corner Indelible

Indelible
by Karin Slaughter | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingmelydiawing of Centreville, Virginia USA on 5/29/2006

status (set by MonaMi): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Monday, May 29, 2006

I pulled this paperback out of my mother's garage sale. I expect it to be a fairly quick read.

Registered in Springfield, Virginia, USA.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I would like to start by sharing something that I didn't learn until the author's note at the very end of the book: this is a sequel. I imagine much of my confusion regarding the plot of this novel can be attributed to that fact. In short, Sara the pediatrician and her ex-husband Jeffrey the police chief are held hostage by a couple of gunmen who raid the police station. Much of the book is spent in flashbacks to the early 1990s when Jeffrey took his then-girlfriend Sara to his tiny backwater hometown in Alabama, where they witness more dirty laundry in one day than most people accumulate in an entire lifetime. People die, secrets are revealed, bodies are found. Lena, the only female cop on Jeffrey's present-day force, is part of the rescue detail and has vague issues of her own that are presumably covered in the previous book. It's a pretty good story, if a wee bit predictable. I got a little tired of waiting for the characters to get around to actually talking to each other instead of running off and looking pensive again, but if everyone were forthcoming and honest there wouldn't be nearly as much drama. While this book was a nice diversion on its own, I would have preferred to have known about (and read) its predecessors first.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmelydiawing at Bank of America (Old Keene Mill Rd and Rolling) in Springfield, Virginia USA on Thursday, July 13, 2006

Released 10 yrs ago (7/13/2006 UTC) at Bank of America (Old Keene Mill Rd and Rolling) in Springfield, Virginia USA

Left this on the bench in front of the Bank of America at Cardinal Forest Plaza (Old Keene Mill and Rolling Road).

Journal Entry 4 by MonaMi from Springfield, Virginia USA on Saturday, July 22, 2006

I noticed the book sitting on the bench and, on second glance, the book crossing label. What a neat concept! I released the book on a bench near the Caci building in Ballston and it was gone by the next day.