corner corner The Memory Keeper's Daughter

The Memory Keeper's Daughter
by Kim Edwards | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Aberpeter of Kirkland, Washington USA on Monday, May 29, 2006

status (set by hostile17): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Aberpeter from Kirkland, Washington USA on Monday, May 29, 2006

from the back cover:
"This stunning novel begins on a winter night in 1964, when a blizzard forces Dr. David Henry to deliver his own twins. His son, born first, is perfectly healthy, but the doctor immediately recognied that is daughter has Down's syndrome. For motives he tells himself are good, he makes a split-second decision that will haunt all their lives forever. He asks his nurse, Caroline, to take the baby away to an institution. Instead, she disappears into another city to raise the child as her own."

Journal Entry 2 by Aberpeter from Kirkland, Washington USA on Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Having a background in special education and knowing that before public law 94-142 was passed in 1975, most children with disabilities were sent to group homes is what initially attracted me to this book.

Without giving too much away, I enjoyed reading the parallel stories between the two families and how the adults individually coped with the decision that was made when the twins were born. The book was true to life and realistic in the emotions experienced by the different characters.

Definitely a book worth reading.

I am starting a bookring with this book. The regular rules apply.

1. Journal the book as soon as you receive it.
2. Please try to keep the book for only one month. If it is going to take you longer than four weeks to read the book, PM me so I will know the book has not vanished into a bookcrossing wormhole.
3. Journal the book as soon as you are done reading it.
4. PM the next person on the list to get their address - plan a trip to the post office soon so the book can be mailed in a timely fashion.
5. If you are next to get the book and don't think you will have time for the book (too many bookrings at one time, work contraints, life in general, etc), PM me and I can move you somewhere else in the ring, based on shipping preferences of others in the ring.

Shipping Order:
jnpert (KY)
knitwit (PA)
KarenZero (NY)
GrannyAnn (NY)
missprisy (MA)(asked to be removed 1/07)
SqueakyChu (MD)(asked to be removed 12/06)
krin511 (MD)
lmjsmum (UK)
Mochagirl (Austrailia/UK)
Hengameh (Iran)
back to me (ND)

Journal Entry 3 by dianev from Surrey, North Dakota USA on Monday, August 28, 2006

Received book on Aug. 28th, 2006!

Journal Entry 4 by dianev from Surrey, North Dakota USA on Sunday, September 10, 2006

I did not like the character of David Henry ... his deceptions were infuriating, and his decisions not only affected him immensely, but also the members of his family, throughout their lives. The sad thing was that his life and decisions were so affected by unresolved, unspoken grief and pain - how different things may have been if only those had been shared.
This book kept me reading, and it's definitely thought provoking and a good read.

Journal Entry 5 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Thursday, September 21, 2006

Book is here. Thanks.

Journal Entry 6 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Thursday, October 12, 2006

The best intentions are not always the best ideas. A young father who had seen his childhood torn apart by the loss of his sister tries to save his wife and infant son from a similar fate when is wife gives birth to a daughter with Down's syndrome. Though he doesn't kill his daughter, he tells his wife that his daughter died at birth and keeps the secret of her life until his own death decades later.

While the set up of the births feels contrived the rest of the story crafted well enough and with such tenderness that the extraordinary circumstances at the begining are soon forgotten and forgiven. The novel isn't so much about what the characters do in their separate lives but how they grow emotionally and how the burden of the secrets tears at the bonds of family.

I'm now just waiting for the next participant's address.

Journal Entry 7 by caligula03 at on Thursday, October 12, 2006

Mailing to Soft-Landing

Journal Entry 8 by Soft-Landing from Fresno, California USA on Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Memory Keeper's Daughter was received by Soft-Landing in Sanger, California, on November 30, 2006.

Journal Entry 9 by Soft-Landing from Fresno, California USA on Wednesday, December 27, 2006

I found this book to be well written, but definitely not a happy story. I will ask bethieb to send an address so I can mail it this week.

Journal Entry 10 by wingbethiebwing from Hopkinsville, Kentucky USA on Saturday, January 20, 2007

This was in the pile of mail when I arrived home from a trip. I'll read it next and get it moving soon.

Journal Entry 11 by wingbethiebwing from Hopkinsville, Kentucky USA on Tuesday, January 30, 2007

My college roommate's oldest daughter had Down's syndrome, so throughout the book I thought of how my friend's family was changed by Jessica. Although she died at the age of 16, I know none of them would have traded the experience of having her in their lives to avoid the pain of her loss. I found this book to be a real page-turner when the story involved Caroline and Phoebe, but I thought the parts about David and Norah were slow. Maybe I just liked the hopeful parts better.

Thank you Aberpeter for offering this book! jnpert asked to be skipped, so this was mailed to knitwit on February 2nd.

Journal Entry 12 by knitwit from Yardley, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, February 08, 2007

Arrived yesterday. I shall begin reading it immediately. Thanks for sharing everyone!

Journal Entry 13 by knitwit from Yardley, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, February 10, 2007

This book seems to be the selection of just about every bookclub around me right now. Various people told me that the book was the most depressing thing they had ever read so I began to wonder if I would be able to get through it when I read it. I'll admit that it's sad but I was never really depressed by it. I certainly had no problem reading it since it only took me a little over two days to finish. I can't understand David's decision on that fateful night at all even in the context of his own sister's life and I honestly don't bellieve that protecting those you love from life's pain is possible. Without pain there would be no joy - sounds trite but I think it's true.

A fine first novel. A few things about the author's writing style really bugged me but I really try not to quibble over stuff like that anymore. Getting soft in my old age, I guess.

KarenZero has asked to be skipped so I'll mail this on to GrannyAnn on Wednesday, 14 February.

Due to the crummy weather and then the need to send my van to the body shop as a result of the crummy weather, the book didn't go in the mail until 17 February 2007.

Journal Entry 14 by GrannyAnn from West Henrietta, New York USA on Saturday, February 24, 2007

Received in the mail today as part of a bookring. I've wanted to read this book for a long time. I can't wait to get started!

Thanks,Aberpeter, for hosting this bookring.

Journal Entry 15 by GrannyAnn from West Henrietta, New York USA on Monday, March 12, 2007

This book was well written. The story was very sad - David's deception made it impossible for him to have an open and loving relationship with his wife or his son. His daughter had a loving family but her adopted mother also had secrets and deception burdening her soul.

Waiting for krin511's address.

Journal Entry 16 by GrannyAnn from West Henrietta, New York USA on Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Mailed via media mail on 3/13/07. Delivery confirmation # 03033030000249244947

Journal Entry 17 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Friday, March 16, 2007

The book arrived today. I'll start it sometime next week.

ETA: Started reading March 21st.

Journal Entry 18 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Thursday, March 29, 2007

A very bittersweet tale of families and secrets. I especially liked the themes of photography and music woven throughout the book.

Reserved for jessibud.

Journal Entry 19 by krin511 at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, March 31, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (3/31/2007 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to jessibud.

Journal Entry 20 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 12, 2007

This book arrived today. I am almost finished the book I am currently reading and will start this one right after. I may end up bringing it with me to read on the plane next week when I go to the convention!

Journal Entry 21 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Many, many apologies for holding this book for so long. About a week or so ago, I PM'd the next in line, offering to send it on although I was not yet finished, however, I think the PM may not have gotten through as I have not had any response. I now have 2 more days left of school and then I will be done for the year (YAY!!!) and so, I expect I will be able to finish the book by this weekend. I will PM again now and if, by the weekend, I have not heard back again, I will try the next in line.

Again, apologies.

Journal Entry 22 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, July 04, 2007

FINALLY!! I am so very sorry for keeping this book for so long. But I am finished and it will be in the mail in less than one hour from now, on its way to Boirina, as bookwormmom2 has asked to be skipped.

Although it took me a long time to read it (punctuated by several breaks and lapses), I did find it to be good read, though quite sad. The theme of how our decisions can alter the course of our lives and the paths that we find ourselves on, has always fascinated me. Maybe too much. (I often wonder where I'd be today, WHO I'd be today, if I had made different choices at various times of my life. Oh well, maybe better not to know...)

Thank you again, Aberpeter, for including me in this ring and for your patience for my being a slacker...

Journal Entry 23 by boirina from Calvià, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, July 09, 2007

The book got here safely today.

Thanks for organising this ring. :)

Journal Entry 24 by boirina from Calvià, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Thursday, July 19, 2007

The book has left for Twynnie today.

I must say I haven't read it. Somehow I managed to join two bookrings for the same book, and they nearly came over at the same time. As I was last before the owner in the other one and every bookring/ray I'm in seems to be getting to me at the same time, I asked if I could keep the other a bit longer and so I've passed this one on. I don't like to have people waiting if I can help it.

Thanks, Aberpeter, for organising this. :)

Journal Entry 25 by Twynnie from Royston, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

This arrived yesterday, and I'm looking forward to reading it. I'll get started as soon as I finish my current book. Thanks to aberpeter for sharing the book and to Boirina for passing it on to me!

Journal Entry 26 by Twynnie from Royston, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 12, 2007

This is a sad story about how a mistake, once made, is very difficult to undo and can have devastating consequences. I felt sympathy for all the characters although I thought David's decision was a very bad one, it's easy to understand why he did what he did.

I'll PM lmjsmum now to get this moving

update 09/09/2007: I couldn't get in touch with lmjsmum so I am now PMing Mochagirl to pass this on

Journal Entry 27 by Mochagirl from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Received today - thanks Twynnie!

I'm really looking forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 28 by Mochagirl from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, November 10, 2007

I absolutely loved this book - I completely lost track of time while I was reading it, and that hasn't happened for a while! :)

Like some of the rest of you have said, what really got me into this book was the idea of the ripples caused by one bad decision... all that pain...

Journal Entry 29 by Mochagirl at St Aldates PO in Oxford, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, November 10, 2007

Released 6 yrs ago (11/10/2007 UTC) at St Aldates PO in Oxford, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent off to Hengameh this evening.

Journal Entry 30 by Hengameh from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Sunday, February 17, 2008

the book is here. i got it last weeek and finished it today. it was a sad book but a very well written one. thanks a lot for sharing. it was one of the best books i've read this year.
thanks again.

Journal Entry 31 by Aberpeter from Kirkland, Washington USA on Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The book has made it home safe and sound. Thank you to everyone who participated in this ring.

I will be passing the book along to a co-worker.

Journal Entry 32 by Aberpeter from Kirkland, Washington USA on Thursday, January 22, 2009

The coworker returned the book with no journal entry :(

I am now mailing this to hostile17, winner of the Happy Day RABCK. Congratulations!

Journal Entry 33 by hostile17 from Osgood, Indiana USA on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Received in the mail today.
I'm very excited about winning the Happy Day RABCK.
Thank you very much for this book.
I'm looking forward to reading it.