corner corner The Eight

The Eight
by Katherine Neville | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by winglauraloo29wing of Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 27, 2006

status (set by denny08): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 27, 2006

New York City, 1972—A dabbler in mathematics and chess, Catherine Velis is also a computer expert for a Big Eight accounting firm. Before heading off to a new assignment in Algeria, Cat has her palm read by a fortune-teller. The woman warns Cat of danger. Then an antiques dealer approaches Cat with a mysterious offer: He has an anonymous client who is trying to collect the pieces of an ancient chess service, purported to be in Algeria. If Cat can bring the pieces back, there will be a generous reward.

The South of France, 1790—Mireille de Remy and her cousin Valentine are young novices at the fortresslike Montglane Abbey. With France aflame in revolution, the two girls burn to rebel against constricted convent life—and their means of escape is at hand. Buried deep within the abbey are pieces of the Montglane Chess Service, once owned by Charlemagne. Whoever reassembles the pieces can play a game of unlimited power. But to keep the Game a secret from those who would abuse it, the two young women must scatter the pieces throughout the world. . . .

Journal Entry 2 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 19, 2008

I'm going to send this out as a ray.

Rules: Not many. Please journal the book's arrival and departure. And please keep it moving by keeping it no longer than 4 weeks. The last person is free to release the book as they wish.

1 janey-canuck - Canada (Intl)
2. Tuttasb - Norway (Intl)
3. BlackDevil - Finland (Intl)
4. CynthiaA - Canada (Intl) - may take longer to read
5. DK1010 - US (US)
6. trojanpotato - US (US)
7. dg7500 - US (US) - last please

This book will begin its travels on January 31st.

Journal Entry 3 by janey-canuck from Guelph, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Received today - I have one ring ahead of it but will get to it ASAP

Journal Entry 4 by janey-canuck from Guelph, Ontario Canada on Sunday, March 02, 2008

I had this book on my wishlist after reading about it in the Book Lover's Calendar. Everything I heard about it described it as similar to the Da Vinci Code - it would be heard to say this isn't the case. The book, though too long if you ask me, was quite a tale about a fictional chess set that held the key to infinite power. The book tells stories of two women, 200 years apart, and of their quest for the set.

I liked the book a lot, but there were too many names & places, etc. for me to remember and keep up with. So, I wonder how much of the book I lost because I couldn't remember all the pieces and how they fit together. The story was captivating and I didn't figure out the "twist" until about 30 seconds before the author revealed it. She wove an excellent story and I liked how she pulled the two tales together. I did find myself wishing that the book had more Catherine in the beginning (when it was more Mireille) and more Mireille at the end (when it was more Catherine). I found the plot to be quite captivating and I liked the way the author wrote with two exceptions: the book dragged for me - I would have preferred it to be about 200 pages shorter - and I detested the sentences that went somewhere along the lines of "if I had only known how important that would be" - was that supposed to be an attempt at foreshadowing?

This is off in the mail tomorrow or Tuesday, I have the next address already.

Journal Entry 5 by janey-canuck from Guelph, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Mailed off to Norway today via surface mail - should be there in 4 to 6 weeks.

Journal Entry 6 by wingTuttasbwing from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The book arrived yesterday :) Thank you!

Journal Entry 7 by wingTuttasbwing at Nokia, Pirkanmaa Finland on Thursday, July 31, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (7/31/2008 UTC) at Nokia, Pirkanmaa Finland

Posted today.

Journal Entry 8 by BlackDevil from Nokia, Pirkanmaa Finland on Thursday, August 07, 2008

Half a year later (since the start of the journey) the book is in Nokia, the mailman just dropped it in our mailbox few minutes ago. :) Thanks lauraloo29 for sharing! :)

Journal Entry 9 by BlackDevil from Nokia, Pirkanmaa Finland on Monday, September 01, 2008

Oh wau...! That sure was a multilayered story and indeed a very interesting one! However, just like janey-canuck, I think it was way too long. I was quite bored at times and I felt that the story was artificially prolonged like if it would be better the more pages it covers. Well, a mistake a first time writer easily makes. Complexity is also something that should be kept in minimum needed for the main plot. All those subplots among the plots just created a long and twisting marathon in a labyrinth that left lots of loose ends. Distracting.

And yes, it sure had too many characters involved and I'm sure I missed some of the hints along the way just because it was almost impossible to keep all the characters both in Mireille's and Catharine's world in one's head while reading and wondering the secrets of chess. By the way, if someone is interested to count - I would NOT be surprised if the amount of charachters involved is 64, the amount of squares on the chess board. ;) Amount of characters also caused them to be mostly very thin. And in the end I thought that only Carioca was the only one that was not relative to someone else in "The Game". *rolling eyes*

But all together this was a nice reading experience and as a chess player myself, the core of the mainplot was really fascinating. :) I have to say that Neville has an imagination of a great story teller!

I have already the address of Cynthia A and the book will start its journey to Canada tomorrow. :)

Journal Entry 10 by wingCynthiaAwing from Brantford, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Arrived safe and sound, thanks!

Journal Entry 11 by wingCynthiaAwing from Brantford, Ontario Canada on Monday, October 06, 2008

Well, now THAT was fun! Yes, similar to Da Vinci Code in its style of mystery perhaps. But more slightly more advanced writing -- although Janey-canuck's comment about the leading questions throughout was bang-on. I noticed those almost immediately and they were so distracting.

While the book is about a mystery found in chess, and mathematics and formulae, I don't feel it is necessary to have a strong background in any of those areas to enjoy it. I do believe that if you don't have a good understanding of European history, you'll miss alot though. I thought it was fantastic the way the author weaved historical characters into the story -- Rousseau and Newton and Bonaparte and Robesspierre and Czar Catharina, etc. Fascinating and brilliant. I also really liked the way she explained some of the ancient arabic and north-african language and how some words we use today root back that far. Also fascinating.

All in all, a book that satisfies immensely. Thanks lauraloo for the ray! As soon as I get a go-forward address (PM has been sent) I'll be sure to ship it along.

Journal Entry 12 by DK1010 from Warwick, Rhode Island USA on Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Woo Hoo, this book has finally arrived.
Timing is bad, it's a week before Christmas. I hope it's not a problem if I take closer to 6 weeks to read & move it along. I see the binding is very roughed up. If no one opposes, I think I'll tape it with clear strong tape. I can't wait to read this; I hope it is as good as it looks. Thanks everyone for sharing & mailing.

Journal Entry 13 by DK1010 at Media Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (1/20/2009 UTC) at Media Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

I really enjoyed The Eight. I never knew that there are so many symbolic associations with eights. The beginning moved quickly, the middle could have been reduced, and the end was not a total surprise, but it could have gone either way. I don't generally like stories that switch back and forth from one time period to another, but it worked better here than usual, and I could follow along alright. There are a lot of characters, but I thought the author used enough reminders and clues so I didn't have to go back often to read which character was which. I kept them straight. But, some of the story progression, I had to reread at times. Overall, I liked it, and I hope those who follow on the ring like it as well. Thanks to everyone for mailing and sharing. BookCrossing is a good way to find books!

Journal Entry 14 by trojanpotato from Two Harbors, California USA on Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ooh, two books in one day! Thanks, lauraloo!

Journal Entry 15 by trojanpotato at Los Angeles, California USA on Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (2/11/2009 UTC) at Los Angeles, California USA

I really enjoyed this book, although I have to join the consensus on her blatant foreshadowing methods. Toward the end, I grew a little tired of the convolutions, but I persisted and overall had a good time.

I'm sending it to dg7500 when I get back from work today.

Journal Entry 16 by dg7500 from Lancaster, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Arrived safely! Thanks for including me in the bookray, lauraloo29...I look forward to reading it soon, and then I'll see that it continues it's travels.

Update 4/2/09: Another nod of agreement for the previous comments here. I loved the entire concept of the book, and it really did draw me into both of the storylines. Parts of the book did drag a bit for me (could have condensed the book by about 200 pages, and still had a winning plot-line), but I didn't dare skip anything for fear I'd miss something crucial to the unravelling of the tale.

To keep the karma of this book going, I will be passing it along to dvg as part of a rabck package.

Journal Entry 17 by dg7500 at RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (4/7/2009 UTC) at RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

A rabck for dvg. Enjoy, my friend!

*2009 RABCK Release Challenge*

Journal Entry 18 by dvg from Flanders, New Jersey USA on Monday, April 13, 2009

A wonderful surprise in my mailbox today! I forgot you were sending. =) Just seeing the return addy made me smile, then to see the contents...well, wooohooo! I'm excited about reading this book. I just watched a History Channel program this weekend about Decoding Davinci -- the perfect set up for this it seems. Will be read very soon! Thank you my friend!! =)

Journal Entry 19 by dvg at Flanders, New Jersey USA on Monday, June 14, 2010

I must agree with the previous readers that mentioned this was too long. I found myself bored at certain parts, caught myself skimming, then slowed myself down to try and read it as it was written by the author. But it could have been condensed at least 200 pages. I found myself really liking the Mirelle and Catherine characters quite alot. It was a good mystery along the lines of DaVinci but with chess. I know nothing about chess but I really didn't think that mattered at all as I was reading the story. I was surprised at the ending!
I will try another book by this author and see if Neville's writting has changed (if she has learned to shorten it a bit).

Journal Entry 20 by dvg at Flanders, New Jersey USA on Monday, June 14, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (6/14/2010 UTC) at Flanders, New Jersey USA

Its this book's "Happy Day" as it continuing its BC journey as a surprise RABCK to denny08! I hope you enjoy this read.
If you are new to BookCrossing and found this book and this site, Welcome! I hope you enjoy the book and the BookCrossing community. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), its spam-free and its free to join. If you prefer, you can remain anonymous.
Whether you join or not, I hope you'll take a moment to make a journal entry so all the previous and future readers can track this book's journey. You can journal now saying that you’ve found the book. Then after you’ve read it, come back to tell us your opinion of the story, and let us know when and where the book is going next. Happy Reading and Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 21 by denny08 at Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I haven't read anything by Katherine Neville, but I'm always looking for new authors. Thank you for being so generous!