corner corner The Sex Lives of Cannibals : Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific

The Sex Lives of Cannibals : Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific
by J. Maarten Troost | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by hobbit of Surabaya, Jawa Timur Indonesia on Monday, May 22, 2006

status (set by dotdot): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by hobbit from Surabaya, Jawa Timur Indonesia on Monday, May 22, 2006

This book was really funny. I laughed out loud until I actually had tears in my eyes.

The author is American, but spent two years living on the island of Tarawa in the Republic of Kiribati, which is a collection of scattered islands in the South Pacific. His description of this experience is not to be missed, as he experiences equatorial heat, culture shock, and a total lack of the conveniences he's used to, with a wry sense of humor.

I actually started laughing at the Table of Contents. For example: "Chapter 7. In Which the author settles into the theme of Absence, which will be a pervasive theme throughout this narrative, in particular the paucity of food options, and offers an account of The Great Beer Crisis in which the island's shipment of Ale was, inexcusably, directed to Kiritimati Island, far, far away from those who needed it most."

Journal Entry 2 by hobbit from Surabaya, Jawa Timur Indonesia on Saturday, July 01, 2006

Just a note that my husband has finished reading this book. He enjoyed it and thought it was funny, although not as hilarious as I did. I've passed it on to my son.

...

My son did not finish this book as he didn't think it was funny at all - what I took as humor, he took as whining and complaining. So be warned - the humor is not universal.

I'm going to change the status to available and see if anyone from the Olympic Challenge or 5-5-5 Challenge wants this book. I enjoyed it so much that I think it should travel.

(Do note that if you're looking for native authors, this one's not. For Kiribati, I'm still keeping my eyes open for alternatives from Kabetitaake Kaatia, Teresia Teaiwa, or Batiri T. Bataua.)

Journal Entry 3 by hobbit from Surabaya, Jawa Timur Indonesia on Thursday, July 20, 2006

Sending to Hendertuckian, at her request. Enjoy!

(Updated to say that I went to the post office with this on Friday, 7/21.)

Journal Entry 4 by hendertuckian from Henderson, Nevada USA on Friday, August 04, 2006

(8/4/06) this is for the Republic of Kiribati in Olympic Challenge. Can't wait to get reading but it must sit on the foothills of Mount TBR until I can read through my library books.
(9/29/06) the library book reading got a little boring and I could hear Troost calling me from the book piles. I'm glad I took the time to read it and happy to send it on its way where ever that is.

Journal Entry 5 by Sheepseeker from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, November 18, 2006

Here it is! Thanks very much, hendertuckian and hobbit!

I got the hint, hendertuckian - luckyly I have a week off and will be reading it fast ;-)

---

Nearly finished reading and found two more readers:

Sternschnuppe28
katyan

Journal Entry 6 by Sheepseeker from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, December 03, 2006

*lol* Yes, enjoyed the book, although I often thought: What is he doing? He should know better by now... ;-)

Apart from a funny story I got a little insight on this Pacific island and the dos and don'ts of development aid. And of course how to pronounce Kiribati properly!

I'll let this book count as a book for Kiribati for the Olympic Challenge. I'm looking for another author but it might be difficult.

Thanks for sharing the book with us, hobbit! I'll send it out to Sternschnuppe28 and afterwards it will go to katyan in Finland.

Journal Entry 7 by Sternschnuppe28 from Flörsheim am Main, Hessen Germany on Friday, December 08, 2006

Amid a rainy, foggy and cold December day I am looking really forward to start reading the book. Thanks a lot!

Journal Entry 8 by Sternschnuppe28 from Flörsheim am Main, Hessen Germany on Saturday, December 16, 2006

(a little abridged) amazon-review:
Kiribati (pronounced Kiribase) is a small overpopulated island in the Central Pacific. The island of Kiribati is a collection of atolls (with the total size of Baltimore) spread over in an area as big as the continental United States. Southern Tarawa is the biggest atoll and the capital of Kiribati. The I-Kirbati, as the inhabitants are known, are Micronesians that descended from Samoan refugees who cannibalized the natives of the island. They are, however, not as gruesome sounding as their forefathers. The I-Kirbati are fatalistic, carefree, and, friendly people who make their living from the sea.

I have never heard of Kiribati until I read the book, "The Sex Lives of Cannibals". The book is a story of an I-Matang (white guy), Troost, who along with his wife lived on Tarawa for two years. The author talks about his experiences on the island and makes a good case for why one should not consider setting foot on the island :-) when accounting his misadventures with the town's hygiene and sanitation, the toxic fish, a complete lack of vegetation, limited dry goods, canniballistic dogs, a rundown airplane, high seas on a plywood boat ...

a witty and entertaining travel book, a bit reminding to Bill Bryson´s, definitely an eye-opener on what we consider "the paradise"

"The sex lives of cannibals" will continue travelling to katyan today.

Click for larger version of journal entry picture...

This book is part of my reading challenge 2006: 5 books of 5 countries from the 5 continents

Journal Entry 9 by katyan from Detroit, Michigan USA on Monday, January 22, 2007

This book was waiting for me when I returned home last weekend from my prolongened Christmas holiday...Thank you for all the previous readers who let this book continue traveling until here! I've heard so much from this book that I really wanted to read it! I'm sure I'll find new readers for it after I've finished, it seems so interesting!

Journal Entry 10 by katyan from Detroit, Michigan USA on Saturday, June 09, 2007

This was a funny travel book from Kiribati. I think the best description about the life in there was when Meere wrote something like "The life in Kiribati is like having a bibolar mental disorder. Life can be extreamely beautiful as well as extreamely sad."

I read this book as a part of my Book from every country in the world-challenge (Kiribati).

I'll offer this book in the Finnish forum next to continue this bookray.

Journal Entry 11 by katyan from Detroit, Michigan USA on Monday, June 11, 2007

This bookray will next continue in Finland.
Participants are:

tintti, Jyväskylä
MsTeddy, Vammala
Alejanda, Pori

Journal Entry 12 by Tintti from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Saturday, June 16, 2007

Katyan gave me this book today. Thank you! Looks fun and interesting, and I know practically nothing about Kiribati so I hope I'm a little bit wiser after reading this book.

Journal Entry 13 by Tintti from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A really funny book, I too laughed out loud every now and then while reading this. I was also happy to learn a thing or two about Kiribati, and the way of life there.

The I-Kiribati are unself-conscious about singing. This is because they have voices of angels. When I sing, however, small children begin to cry, dogs whimper, and rats scurry to the water and drown themselves. Sylvia, who is ravishingly beautiful, possesses a formidable intellect, and whose existence illuminates my life, sings like a cow in distress. Entire villages scatter into the bush when we sing together.

After this book I read "Castaway" by Lucy Irvine, which is also about life in a small island in the Pacific, and currently I'm reading "Where we once belonged" by Sia Figiel, which is located in Samoa. Quite a lot of island life experienced through books!

I'm sending the book to MsTeddy soon.

Journal Entry 14 by MsTeddy from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Friday, July 13, 2007

Thank you Tintti, the book arrived today..I can't wait to start reading, but it has to wait until next week..

Journal Entry 15 by MsTeddy from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Saturday, July 21, 2007

I finished the book today, and really did enjoy it.I even started to want to travel to Hawaii.. I didn't laugh out loud, but few parts brought smile on my face..=)I found for example chapter 16 very enjoyable..;) As a animal lover I didn't like the parts about dogs on the island, especially when there was telling of eating them..and it was even more diffucult to read the part, because I was eating my lunch at the same time!

But..the book will continue its journey to Alejanda on Monday.

Big thanks to katyan for sharing this book!

Journal Entry 16 by Alejanda from Pori, Satakunta Finland on Sunday, July 29, 2007

Thanks! TBR

Journal Entry 17 by Alejanda at on Saturday, September 18, 2010

This was very funny travel book :o)

Journal Entry 18 by Alejanda at on Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Happy reading Niksu!

Journal Entry 19 by wingNiksuwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Friday, October 29, 2010

Thanks Ale! This looks interesting! Thanks also to miumaumou for being such a nice courier.

Journal Entry 20 by wingNiksuwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Saturday, November 06, 2010

What an eye-opening reading experience! Yes, I did find the witty tone the author had but also some sadness towards the not so nice things in the atolls. If someone gives me tickets to deserted island, I'm prepared it's more than Piña colada and bliss!

Thanks for the book Alejanda, once again!

Journal Entry 21 by wingNiksuwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (11/9/2010 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland

I keep bringing books to annelis. I'm so sorry :)

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Journal Entry 22 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Don't be sorry, Niksu. You always bring me good books and this seems to be one of them. A book about Kiribati, that's really something! This book looks very interesting and seems to be quite a well travelled book, too. I'll let it continue its travels after reading it first. Thank you all!

Journal Entry 23 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa Finland on Sunday, May 29, 2011

I really enjoyed reading this book. I was written in a funny way even if the state of things are not always something to laugh at. It is sad how much damage the big states and companies cause to the small states. Like taking all the fish from their coast and destroying some islands with atom bombs.
Anyway, I think that the author has created an appealing name for the book. In fact the book tells more about shit than about sex.
I am so happy I got this book. It is not easy to find a book from every country and I doubt that there are many books about Kiribati. Not many people find their way to Kiribati even if the National Poet did.

This book represents Kiribati in my A Book from Every Country Challenge

This is my # 51 in
"KEEP THEM MOVING 2011" Challenge arranged by Booklady331.

This is my # 56 (100) in
"REDUCE MOUNT TBR 2011" Challenge arranged by Dove-i-Libri.

Journal Entry 24 by wingdotdotwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Thank you for a great surprise, Annelis:)