corner corner A Short History of Nearly Everything

A Short History of Nearly Everything
by Bill Bryson | History
Registered by laura0141 of Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, May 19, 2006

status (set by laura0141): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, May 19, 2006

The Back of the Book

Bill Bryson describes himself as a reluctant traveller, but even when he stays safely at home he can't contain his curiosity about te world around him. A Short History of Nearly Everything is his quest to understand everything that has happened from the Big Bang to the rise of civilisation - how we got from there, being nothing at all, to here, being us. The ultimate eye-opening journey through time and space, revealing hte world in a way ost of us have never seen it before.

Journal Entry 2 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, June 08, 2006

Offered as BookRing.

Journal Entry 3 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, June 09, 2006

BookRing:

jaynereader - UK - Intl if nec
Valer1e - UK - Intl
j4neyo - UK - Intl
laura0141 - UK - ENDS

Journal Entry 4 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, August 03, 2006

PMed Ibis3 for addy

Journal Entry 5 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, August 05, 2006

On way to Ibis3

Journal Entry 6 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, August 05, 2006

On way to Ibis3

Journal Entry 7 by wingIbis3wing from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Arrived today. Thanks!

Journal Entry 8 by wingIbis3wing from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 25, 2006

What a great book! I thought it would take a while to read it, but actually I read it in about a day. I love scientific theory and the stories of all the mad scientists back-biting and stealing each other's credit was quite lively. I also enjoyed Bryson's visual metaphors (e.g. if all the DNA in your body were laid end to end it would stretch to the moon and back several times). It's amazing to think of how big everything is (you forget how big our solar system really is when you watch Star Trek) and how small everything is. I think this book is one I'd like to get for my PC. Maybe I'll check out the illustrated edition. Thanks so much for sharing laura0141-it was such a great read and one I probably wouldn't have read if not for BookCrossing!

ETA: I would have loved *more* -- the book was too short by far. :) Particularly, I would have liked more explanation about how evolution is supposed to work exactly. How is it that a marine animal evolves into an air-breather for example. Or how would the eye have been developed. That's verging into the question science can't yet answer: how does nothing become something? (I did enjoy all the speculation!)

I think all those extremists on both sides of the religious fanatic//atheist fanatic fence should read this. It certainly puts everything into perspective.

Will PM perryfran soon.

Journal Entry 9 by wingIbis3wing from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Saturday, September 02, 2006

Mailed to perryfran today.

Journal Entry 10 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Saturday, September 09, 2006

Received in the mail today. I have another 2 books in front of this but will try to get to it in the next few weeks. Thanks for including me in this bookring. Looking forward to some great reading.

Update 10/16/06: Started reading this last week - very interesting. I hope to have it off to the next person in a week or so.

Journal Entry 11 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Monday, October 23, 2006

Fascinating!! This book was great. For someone like me who hasn’t really studied any science since high school (many years ago), Bryson provides a great history of the earth and science through the ages that is written so anyone can understand it. It’s amazing to me how many scientific principles have changed and theories introduced since I took high school physics in the 60s. There are so many interesting and fascinating facts in the book – it really makes me want to learn more about some of the specific areas. The quibbling among scientists such as the early discoverers of dinosaurs was great. The parts about dangers from space and the Earth itself were frightening – the possible future collision with a comet or asteroid, the inevitable huge earthquakes and volcanic activity, the possible ice ages, etc. And the insights into some of the great scientists’ personalities and eccentricities were marvelous – the part about the retiring scientist Henry Cavendish and his shyness was priceless. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to get a broad perspective on the sciences. I wish my grade school teachers could have made science this interesting. Thanks laura0141 for sharing this.

I have randomelement’s address and will put the book in the mail today.

Journal Entry 12 by wingperryfranwing at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 23, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (10/23/2006 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Off to randomelement in Massachusetts.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by randomelement from Lynn, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, November 19, 2006

This arrived as part of a bookring. I'll be starting it very soon.

Kecia

Journal Entry 14 by randomelement from Lynn, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, November 19, 2006

This arrived as part of a bookring. I'll be starting it very soon.

Kecia

Journal Entry 15 by juniebug from Marcus, Iowa USA on Friday, February 09, 2007

Arrived safe & sound in Iowa. I think it actually arrived a day or so ago, but I've been sick with influenza and didn't make it to the PO every day. I've got my current read to finish up and then this one is next.

Journal Entry 16 by juniebug from Marcus, Iowa USA on Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Fascinating stuff! My favorite aspect of the book, by far, is the inclusion of so many bizarre facts. And as an earlier reader mentioned, the insights into the personalities and characters of the science world were great. As I read, I was reminded of my own long-standing beliefs that science really doesn't have ALL the answers. How can something so immensely large as our universe and at the same time so microscopically small as mitochondrial DNA have come about without the guidance of a Supreme Designer? I don't disbelieve what science tells us, but I have serious doubts that a few scant pieces of evidence are enough to allow the "experts" to fill in the huge gaps of knowledge. My only problem with this book is the same problem I have with many science-geared books... information is often presented as hard fact when it's actually a lot of *theory.* (Evolution, for example, is a theory. I'm not saying it didn't necessarily happen. I just don't believe that it happened all by itself, by luck and by chance.) Despite the number of pages, this was a fairly quick read. Something interesting on every single page.

This book will passed on down the list as soon as I get an address to send it to. Thanks for allowing me to participate in the journey.

Update March 31: I can't figure out who "David Llewellyn" is since there's no user by that name listed in the BC system. I've PMd jaynereader to get an address so this book can continue its travels.

Journal Entry 17 by juniebug at USPS in to a fellow bookcrosser, a postal release -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, April 01, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (4/2/2007 UTC) at USPS in to a fellow bookcrosser, a postal release -- Controlled Releases

Sent off to jaynereader. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 18 by jaynereader from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The book just arrived back in the UK safe and sound. Thanks saidenuj. It'll be my next read.

Journal Entry 19 by jaynereader from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 21, 2007

I've had to give up on this book after carrying it with me for days but never picking it up. Suppose I just don't find science even this interesting.
As soon as I have an address for the next reader it will be on its way.

Journal Entry 20 by jaynereader from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 21, 2007

Valer1e is now Versavisa and this will be going out to her after 7 June as she is away til then.

Journal Entry 21 by Versavisa from Chalfont St Peter, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Book received safely yesterday. Many thanks for holding on to it until the end of my holiday.

Not much ahead of it so I don't expect to keep it too long, but on first glance it does look a bit heavier than his other books.

Journal Entry 22 by Versavisa from Chalfont St Peter, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 15, 2007

I just couldn't get into this book.

I started reading from the beginning and it didn't hold my attention at all. So then I tried a few chapters later on and still the same thing.

So I've PM'd j4neyo for her address and will post it on to her soon.

I'm disappointed as I do so enjoy Bill Bryson's books but this is the one exception.

Journal Entry 23 by j4neyo from Whitchurch, Shropshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Arrived safely in the post. Many thanks to Versavisa!

Journal Entry 24 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Received with many thanks to all who made this Ring a success.

Journal Entry 25 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, February 18, 2008

Book *not* sent out due to my error. Relisted on BookMooch. Sale2.

Journal Entry 26 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Released via BookMooch.